Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2016

jenson1a
Default Fist Glove Stroke Trainer

In one of Terry's TT guide, Tempo Trainer Basics: Ten Tempo Tasks for Fun and Improvement, he says that there are 2 effective tools. One of course is the TT and the other is the Fist Glove Stroke Trainer.

I can't find the Fist Glove Trainer he is talking about. I have looked thru the store and did not see it. Either it has not been written yet, or it was and then deleted?

If anyone has any info on this, please comment

Sherry
Old 02-28-2016
Coach

CoachBobM

See:

http://www.totalimmersion.net/store/...l#.VtK80f_Sl9A
Old 02-28-2016

IngeA

I'm curious:
What's the difference between fist gloves and just making a fist during the stroke?
Old 02-28-2016

jenson1a

I think there is some confusion here about my question. I am not asking where to find the actual fist gloves. What I am looking for was addressed in Terry's article Tempo Trainer Basics

However there are two tools we value highly because they teach you so much
about your own stroke and how to swim more effectively. One is the Fistglove
Stroke Trainer (about which I will write a separate guide) which is better than
anything we’ve found at teaching you how to press back on the water effectively
and with great sensitivity.
The second is the Finis Tempo Trainer (TT) – a small
electronic metronome you can tuck under cap or clip to goggles, the subject of this
brief ‘starter guide.’

It is the guide that I more interested in rather than the gloves themselves. I do know that the way the drill goes is a four step process. First you close your hand, but loosely, then you use 1 finger for another length, next you use you pointer and little finger for stroking, and finally you do free style. I think the intent is for feel for the water, balance, and rotation.

So I guess that what I am looking for is a written guide (similar to the TT guide) if it was actually written

Sherry
Old 02-28-2016

jenson1a

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngeA View Post
I'm curious:
What's the difference between fist gloves and just making a fist during the stroke?
From what I heard in previous posts that some people liked the gloves and others said the gloves were hard to work with (getting on and off and they also tore easily).

My guess is that the drill (closed fist or gloves) performed the same function.

Sherry
Old 03-01-2016
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngeA View Post
I'm curious:
Two differences:

1) Making fists requires continuously doing something, which is the opposite of relaxing.

2) The gloves shield your hands from the water, thereby creating a kind of sensory deprivation. This makes you much more aware of what your hands are doing in the water immediately after you take the gloves off.

Bob
Old 03-01-2016
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenson1a View Post
From what I heard in previous posts that some people liked the gloves and others said the gloves were hard to work with (getting on and off and they also tore easily).
If you rub conditioner over your hands before putting the gloves on and if the gloves are the right size, you shouldn't have a problem with them tearing.

Bob
Old 03-01-2016

IngeA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBobM View Post
Two differences:

1) Making fists requires continuously doing something, which is the opposite of relaxing.

2) The gloves shield your hands from the water, thereby creating a kind of sensory deprivation. This makes you much more aware of what your hands are doing in the water immediately after you take the gloves off.
Thank you for explaining. That makes sense.
Old 05-01-2016

jenson1a
Default Additional Question on Fist Gloves

I have a pair of swim gloves (I believe by Aqua) that were given to me many years ago. The five fingers in the glove are sewn together to resemble a duck's webbed feet. I have started using these gloves again to get a feel for the water and it seems to be working.

Just wondering what the difference between these gloves and Terry's fist gloves or do they accomplish the same thing?

Sherry
Old 05-01-2016

IngeA

With fist gloves your hand is "smaller", so you can feel the effectiveness of your arm position during the stroke. They help you to avoid to pull with the hands instead of using the surface of your whole forearm in the stroke.
With your gloves your hand is "bigger", a bit like with paddles. You feel the pressure on your hands, but if your arm is in the wrong position, you can't feel this.