Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2015
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Terry, inspired one of your recent swims I finished off a swim practice with 4 x 25 focusing on progressive breakout skills trying to maintain that speed for the length.

#1) Streamline pushoff, no kick, breakout level with the water and begin stroking
#2) Pushoff, one light UDK into breakout
#3) Pushoff ,one strong UDK....
#4) Pushoff , 2 firm UDKs to breakout

How fun that was! Usually the first length of a set I have a great underwater pushoff with possibly one kick. This simple exericse is a great way to progress to multiple streamlined pushoffs with 2 or more kicks in a row as a way to drop time.

Without changing anything else in my stroke, the remaining length after each progressive breakout dropped by about a half second each. A potential 2 seconds per 100 savings after just 100 yards of practice is in sight.

The areas for improvement are everywhere, but often we are neither looking in the right place, nor focusing attention on a specific aspect and simply "hoping" it gets better.

I've done a lot of streamlined pushoffs no kick, and a lot of UDKs as far as I can go underwater, but have never practiced one or more UDKs as part of a breakout strategy for a short swim.

Fun stuff.
Fresh Freestyle

Old 12-23-2015

AWP

Terry
Great showing at "the show"!

Fighting with infrequent training myself I have still been able to make/hold gains in 'proficiency', guided and inspired by your progress.

At the end of one practice I was able to string two rounds of 4x100s FR and descend nicely, from 1:28-1:25 & 1:23-1:20 even though I was 'struggling' with a bit of fatigue that day (infrequency).
Today I injected timed 100s while swimming focused sets of long axis.
I began with 100 FR @ 1:22 and ended with 100 FR @ 1:18, the first sub 1:20 100FR in some time.
My BK lengths are down to :24s from :27s and :48s-:50s for 50y; applying same approach as you've laid out in your practices.
Keep it comin'...

P.S. my last long axis groovin session I injected some fly lengths, after some fly drill focus, and was able to incorporate what I practiced in single lengths towards FL, BK, FR sets. Next up, same but with BR...
Old 12-23-2015
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
I finished off a practice with 4 x 25 focusing on progressive breakout skills trying to maintain that speed for the length.

#1) Streamline pushoff, no kick, breakout level with the water and begin stroking
#2) Pushoff, one light UDK into breakout
#3) Pushoff ,one strong UDK....
#4) Pushoff , 2 firm UDKs to breakout
Suzanne
I love this set design. And it's uncanny how closely your breakout progression matched a progression I used this morning in a set of 75s. I'm about to post this practice so you'll see it just below.
Here's the breakout progression I employed on the 75s. I used same breakout on all three lengths:
1st 75 Streamline pushoff, no kick
2nd 75 Streamline Pushoff, one light dolphin into breakout
3rd 75 Streamline Pushoff, one firm dolphin into breakout
4th 75 Streamline Pushoff, one firm dolphin + strong flutters into breakout

I also love your comments about the nearly limitless areas in a repeat where we can find potential for improvement. All it takes is focus.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 12-23-2015
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default Main Set: 3 rounds of (4 x 75y) FR repeats

Wed 23 Dec 2900y in 60 minutes at Bard College
Tuneup
6 x 200 on 4:00 Descend, while holding stroke count constant.
Each 200 was 50BK-25FR-50BK-25FR-50BK
I held 16SPL on BK and 15SPL on FR
I decided to favor backstroke in my Tuneup today because I planned to swim free on my Main Set.

Pre-Set
8 x 50 FR on 1:00 Increase Tempo 1.1 to 1.03 while holding 15+16 SPL.
I prepared for my Main Set with a Tempo exercise in the range of stroke counts I planned to use on the Main Set. My goal was to 'groove' a light-but-quick feeling at those counts.
I made an educated guess that a 1.1 tempo would result in swimming 15+16 pretty easily me there.
I increased tempo by .01 each 50, aiming to reach quickest tempo at which I could still hold that count with strong focus but no strain. I reached 1.03 with the SPL and feeling I was looking for. I felt ready to begin Main Set.

Main Set
3 rounds of (4 x 75) FR at 15+16+17 Strokes.
My plan was to descend each round to faster than 500 race pace while holding stroke count.
I swam these 75s the same way I swam a very similar set of 100y repeats on Dec 17.
In each round of 4 x 75
1st 75. Mostly emphasized establishing best form and feel. Light touch. No kick on pushoff or breakout
2nd 75 - Added firmness to the catch. One light dolphin to breakout.
3rd 75 -- Added a crisper movement in hips and felt strong in the core. One firmer dolphin to breakout
4th 75 -- Added firmness in kick. Strong, sustained flutter to breakout.
I descended three rounds as follows
Round 1 1:02 to :59
Round 2 1:03 to :58
Round 3 1:03 to :57
These were slightly faster paced than the 100s, at same average SPL, which was my goal.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story