Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2015
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default Mostly Recovery - with 1 x 'Broken' 200

Thurs 10 Dec 2000y in 40 minutes

On Sunday, I will swim a Masters meet (my first in three years) at Ithaca College. Though I've been training only five weeks--since Nov 3--I've entered five events.
I expect my times to be fairly slow--in fact I won't be surprised if I record 'lifetime slowest' times in several events.

Even so I'm looking forward to the meet with great anticipation and expect the experience to be very valuable in preparing me to achieve the ambitious goals I've set for meets in the spring when I race in the 65-69 age group for the first time. Why?
1) Not having raced in the pool in three years I'm pretty curious to learn where I stand right now.
2) Racing is still a high value experience even when I'm not sufficiently fit to swim fast. The environment and feeling of a meet is very different from that of practice. The more opportunities I get to test myself in that environment the better prepared I'll be to perform at a high level--and achieve the ambitious goals I've set--next spring.

So I'll go into Sunday's meet thinking of it as a speed-oriented practice session and a test of how well I can distribute my effort over five events.
I plan to pace each race as intelligently as possible AND pace myself through the five events.

I'd originally planned to swim two fast-paced items today--a Broken 500 Free and a Broken 200 Back, same as one week ago. But after swimming twice + lifting weights yesterday I felt fatigued even before coming to the pool. When my fatigue didn't lift--though my stroke felt amazing--during the first part of Tuneup, I decided to lengthen the relaxed Tuneup and scale back to a single broken 200 Free. Even that was pretty slow--maybe my slowest broken 200 FR ever.
Even so I enjoyed myself today.

Tuneup
Do the following two times through:
4 x 100 (50FR+50BK) on 2:00
4 x 50 (25FR+25BK) on 1:00
4 x 25 (1 FR, 1 BK) on :30
I held the same stroke counts throughout -- 14 SPL for free and 15 SPL for back. I descended the sets of 4 x 100 and 4 x 50. Times were quite a bit faster on the 2nd round
E.G. 1st round of 100s 1:53 to 1:47
2nd round of 100s 1:44 to 1:40.

Gears Set
2 rounds of 4 x 25 FR
Each round @ 13-14-15-16 SPL
I tried to keep effort pretty constant while increasing SPL, by stroking with a lighter touch each time I added a stroke.
Even with effort to maintain ease, my times on the 25s improved from 22 to 20 sec as I increased stroke count.

Broken 200 Free
I did this as 4 x 50 on :10 rest.
I swam each 50 at 15+16 SPL
Times were :39 on 1st 50 and :40 on the next three.
Overall 200 time was fairly slow at 2:39, but it was a GOOD 2:39 since I held stroke count constant and pace was quite steady as well.
Good rehearsal for racing the 200 Free on Sunday.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 12-14-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-11-2015

AWP

Thursday Dec. 10
After a 20 minute open swim with tune up focal points, I decided to give a bit of attention to some 'speed' work as Terry (and andyinnorway on another thread) had laid out on his Wednesday practice log.
I ended up becoming a bit captivated, almost never utilizing this sort of practice; I was curious.
I would do broken 100s as well. I ended up completing 6 rounds of 4x25, beginning with :10 rest after each repeat and increasing rest by :05 after each round.
I would also increase the times I'd utilize breathing every three strokes (bilateral) up until the third round then decreasing the amount of "every three" breathing; likewise the use of a flutter or what I'll call a 4beat kick, increase then decrease (let's see what happens...).

Well I was somewhat pleased a my ability to maintain control and gradually increase pace steadily while keeping my stroke lengths tight.
I found it difficult to take more than 15spl and maintain a semblance of efficiency. When I did try my time stayed the same so that immediately told me to not "try" to increase. If I were to take more than one length I know that the increase in stroke rate would play out 'naturally' for me.
I think I need the TT to help me "break out" in a single length sprint.

Nevertheless...
4x25s
1. @ :19pl and 14spl (1:16 per 100 pace)
2. @ :18pl and 14spl (1:12 per 100 pace)
* 25BK recovery
3. @ :17/:18pl and 14/15spl (1:10 per 100 pace)
4. @ :17pl and 15/16spl (1:08 per 100 pace)
25BK recovery
5. @ :17pl and 15spl (1:08 per 100 pace)
6. @ :17pl and 14/15spl (1.08 per 100 pace)

I just couldn't break :17s even after trying to increase stroke count, I wasn't 'calibrated' for that this day. I did complete a couple more lengths at a lesser effort and same stroke count but expectedly came in a second slower.
I would finish my practice with some FR/BK lengths as 50s and a couple of combo lengths.
I then ended with a 'test' 50FR at a perceived effort of 3.5 on a 1-5 scale and happily came in @ :37 and 14spl!
Old 12-14-2015
Head Coach

Alan
Brilliant task design.
I can pretty well guarantee that no professional coach on LI--whether age group, Masters or tri--is offering practices as good as yours.

I'll try your version one day this week.

My TI Story
Old 12-14-2015
Head Coach

Default My 1st Meet in 3 Years: How did it go?

Sunday 13 December Masters Meet at Ithaca College

This was my first time racing in a pool in three years. As I wrote in my last post, I went into this meet with fairly low expectations as to how fast I'd swim (I wrote that I expected most of my events to be 'lifetime slowest') but very high expectations otherwise. And that regardless of time the meet would be thoroughly enjoyable and very valuable.

My specific goals for the meet were to
1) Learn exactly where I stand now, compared to in past years. Nothing reveals this quite as fully as racing head-to-head with other swimmers.
2) Give a good effort (if not maximum, very close to it) in all five events and still be swimming well in my final event.
3) Come away from the meet with 'data' on my current capabilities that I can use to (a) set improvement goals for the next several weeks to two months (or whenever I swim another meet) and (b) to plot a course from here to the goals I have for Masters Nationals April 28 to May 1.

I was thrilled overall with how I responded to the eviroronment of being in a meet and racing other swimmers--which is quite different from the solo practice I customarily do. I.E. Most Masters swimmers attend group workouts and race teammates during repeats and sets at least weekly, often more.

The order of events was 200FR-100BK-500FR-100FR-200BK

Here are my results and splits in the order I swam the events
200 Free 2:31.59
50 Splits: 35.5 38.2 38.9 39.0
(1st 100: 1:13.7 2nd 100: 1:17.9)
Comments: Not my best splits. I slowed a bit every 50. I prefer my slowest 50 to be the 2nd, then get slightly faster on the 3rd and 4th. Consequently my 2nd 100 was over 4 sec slower than my first. Optimal splitting is to keep them within 2+ sec. I slowed this way because I felt 'acidotic' (lots of lactic acid in my muscles) during the final 100.
Even so I was pleased with my time, my time on a 'broken' 200 in practice last Wed was only 2:39.

100 Back 1:31.66
45.82 45.84
Comment: I was thoroughly pleased with this as it was more than a second faster than the last time I raced 100BK in a meet, over four years ago. I was also pleased with how well I split this--swimming the 2nd 50 in virtually the same time as the first. This came with 15 minutes of swimming a max effort for 200 Free. This showed how quickly I've responded to an increased emphasis on backstroke in practice--which I did after a pulled adductor muscle limited me to training only back and free.

500 FR 6:48.72
50 Splits: 39.0 41.6 42.0 41.8 42.1 41.5 41.0 40.5 39.7 39.6
1st 250: 3:25.5 2nd 250: 3:23.7
Comment: Another excellent race. For one thing I was in a racing situation on this with a swimmer in an adjacent lane and responded well to it. For another this was quite a bit faster than I'd expected. I'd done one 'broken' 500 in practice within the past two weeks and was very pleased that day to swim a 6:58. Going 10 sec faster was very satisfying. And the reason I swam a good time, and came from behind to finish ahead of the swimmer in the next lane was how well I split this.
I did my slowest split on the 5th 50 (coming into the halfway point of the race) then improved my pace slightly on each of the last five 50s. Consequently I swam the 2nd half of the race nearly 2 seconds faster than the first half--which is precisely how I aim to split 400m/500y events.

100 Free 1:10.95
50 Splits: 34.17 36.78
Comment: This is the race I feel I have the most room to improve. My stroke felt great for most of the 500. It felt ragged and discombobulated virtually the whole way in the 100. That's because I've done virtually no high-speed (i.e. 100y/m type speed) training or racing in years. I plan to do it quite regularly between now and April.

200 Back 3:12.2
:48.4 :48.7 :48.8 46.4
1:37.1 1:35.4
Comment: I thought I was capable of swimming a bit faster than this--I'd swum 3:10 on a 'broken' 200 BK in practice two weeks ago, but I think the fact that it was my 5th event somewhat excuses that. And it was another event with very good splits -- pretty consistent over the first three 50s and 2 sec faster on the final 50. Consequently I negative split this.

How I'll use Information from these races
What I most look for in races is information. How do I respond to a competitive situation? How well do I pace? What is the 'math' of the paces I swim?

Let's take two of yesterday's races--500 FR and 200 BK to examine how I'll do that.
I have two critical pieces of data from these races--stroke count (I counted strokes in every race but the 100 FR) and time.
In both races I swam essentially the same stroke counts -- 17 SPL on 1st half and 18 SPL on 2nd half.

Over the next few weeks I can improve the 500 by doing the following
Swim 150y repeats in 17 or fewer strokes at paces of 2:04-2:05 or faster (slightly faster than the 50y paces I was holding in mid-race.
Swim 100y repeats in 16 or fewer strokes at paces of 1:22-1:23 (lower stroke count and faster paces than in the race.)
Swim 50y repeats in 15 or fewer strokes at paces of :40 to :41

To improve my 200 BK in the coming weeks I'll swim a set of perhaps 3 x broken 200 (4 x 50 with 10 sec rest between) at :47 sec/50 and 16-17 strokes. I.E. Slightly more efficient (on stroke count) and slightly faster than during the race.

By doing this I will program my nervous system to slightly greater Stroke Length and Stroke Rate than I attained during yesterday's races.

I will strive to swim these repeats feeling as controlled, relaxed, smooth, and stable as possible.

Watch this space to see how successful I am at achieving the practice goals I've set.

My TI Story
Old 12-14-2015
Head Coach

Default Post-Meet Recovery/Stroke-Tuning Practice

Monday 14 Dec 1700y in 35 min

After swimming 5 races yesterday, the smartest thing I can do for a day or two afterward is a practice that's physically restorative. The Kaizen way to do that is with problem-solving and stroke-tuning sets

With a strained adductor muscle I can still swim only freestyle and backstroke. Also, I've found that--beyond the restorative effects of swimming with quite moderate effort--I seem to experience even more relaxation by alternating those two strokes.

I decided to modify Alan Perez's Long Axis Groovin' -- usually a continuous 500 -- into series of 5 x 100.

Main Task
3 rounds of 5 x 100 on 1:50

Each round is
100FR
25BK75FR
50BK50FR
75BK25FR
100BK
I held 15SPL on free and 16SPL on backstroke.

The 1:50 interval would be easy for me on the 100FR, but I'd get less rest between repeats each time I added a lap of backstroke.
My goal was to maintain a very light touch throughout and expect to swim slightly faster in each round as the 'Tuneup Effect' took hold.
This diid happen
In Round 1, my 100FR was 1:33 and my 100BK was 1:46
In Round 3, they were 1:28 and 1:41 - with no increase in effort.

Since SPL remained the same, that means Tempo increased a bit each round as I felt more grooving'

I finished up with 4 x 50 Long Axis Combo (4 strokes free, 3 strokes back)
I felt no post-race aches, which is good.

My TI Story
Old 12-14-2015

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post

This was my first time racing in a pool in three years. As I wrote in my last post, I went into this meet with fairly low expectations as to how fast I'd swim (I wrote that I expected most of my events to be 'lifetime slowest') but very high expectations otherwise. And that regardless of time the meet would be thoroughly enjoyable and very valuable.

1) Learn exactly where I stand now, compared to in past years. Nothing reveals this quite as fully as racing head-to-head with other swimmers.
2) Give a good effort (if not maximum, very close to it) in all five events and still be swimming well in my final event.
3) Come away from the meet with 'data' on my current capabilities that I can use to (a) set improvement goals for the next several weeks to two months (or whenever I swim another meet) and (b) to plot a course from here to the goals I have for Masters Nationals April 28 to May 1.

I was thrilled overall with how I responded to the eviroronment of being in a meet and racing other swimmers--which is quite different from the solo practice I customarily do. I.E. Most Masters swimmers attend group workouts and race teammates during repeats and sets at least weekly, often more.

Comments: Not my best splits. I slowed a bit every 50. I prefer my slowest 50 to be the 2nd, then get slightly faster on the 3rd and 4th. Consequently my 2nd 100 was over 4 sec slower than my first. Optimal splitting is to keep them within 2+ sec. I slowed this way because I felt 'acidotic' (lots of lactic acid in my muscles) during the final 100.
Even so I was pleased with my time, my time on a 'broken' 200 in practice last Wed was only 2:39.

45.82 45.84
Comment: I was thoroughly pleased with this as it was more than a second faster than the last time I raced 100BK in a meet, over four years ago. I was also pleased with how well I split this--swimming the 2nd 50 in virtually the same time as the first. This came with 15 minutes of swimming a max effort for 200 Free. This showed how quickly I've responded to an increased emphasis on backstroke in practice--which I did after a pulled adductor muscle limited me to training only back and free.

Comment: Another excellent race. For one thing I was in a racing situation on this with a swimmer in an adjacent lane and responded well to it. For another this was quite a bit faster than I'd expected. I'd done one 'broken' 500 in practice within the past two weeks and was very pleased that day to swim a 6:58. Going 10 sec faster was very satisfying. And the reason I swam a good time, and came from behind to finish ahead of the swimmer in the next lane was how well I split this.
I did my slowest split on the 5th 50 (coming into the halfway point of the race) then improved my pace slightly on each of the last five 50s. Consequently I swam the 2nd half of the race nearly 2 seconds faster than the first half--which is precisely how I aim to split 400m/500y events.

Comment: This is the race I feel I have the most room to improve. My stroke felt great for most of the 500. It felt ragged and discombobulated virtually the whole way in the 100. That's because I've done virtually no high-speed (i.e. 100y/m type speed) training or racing in years. I plan to do it quite regularly between now and April.

Comment: I thought I was capable of swimming a bit faster than this--I'd swum 3:10 on a 'broken' 200 BK in practice two weeks ago, but I think the fact that it was my 5th event somewhat excuses that. And it was another event with very good splits -- pretty consistent over the first three 50s and 2 sec faster on the final 50. Consequently I negative split this.

What I most look for in races is information. How do I respond to a competitive situation? How well do I pace? What is the 'math' of the paces I swim?

Let's take two of yesterday's races--500 FR and 200 BK to examine how I'll do that.
I have two critical pieces of data from these races--stroke count (I counted strokes in every race but the 100 FR) and time.
In both races I swam essentially the same stroke counts -- 17 SPL on 1st half and 18 SPL on 2nd half.

Swim 150y repeats in 17 or fewer strokes at paces of 2:04-2:05 or faster (slightly faster than the 50y paces I was holding in mid-race.
Swim 100y repeats in 16 or fewer strokes at paces of 1:22-1:23 (lower stroke count and faster paces than in the race.)

To improve my 200 BK in the coming weeks I'll swim a set of perhaps 3 x broken 200 (4 x 50 with 10 sec rest between) at :47 sec/50 and 16-17 strokes. I.E. Slightly more efficient (on stroke count) and slightly faster than during the race.

By doing this I will program my nervous system to slightly greater Stroke Length and Stroke Rate than I attained during yesterday's races.

I will strive to swim these repeats feeling as controlled, relaxed, smooth, and stable as possible.

Watch this space to see how successful I am at achieving the practice goals I've set.
Terry,

congratulations on a successful meet.

could you share some information about how you prepare on the day of a meet and any warm up you would do before the first race, or is it actually smart to enter an event prior to your main goal to use as warm up time?

Is it normal to have a second pool for warm up at US masters events?
Old 12-15-2015

s.sciame

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post

45.82 45.84

Great outcomes on different events and on a relatively low training yardage, congratulations!

Salvo
Old 12-15-2015
Head Coach

Default How I

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
Could you share some information about how you prepare on the day of a meet and any warm up you would do before the first race, or is it actually smart to enter an event prior to your main goal to use as warm up time?

Is it normal to have a second pool for warm up at US masters events?
Andy
Great questions. I'll answer the 2nd first.
At USMS events, it's required to provide continuous warmup throughout the meet. If there's not a 2nd pool, then 1 or 2 lanes--those on the ends--are reserved for continuous warmup.
Ithaca College has a 50mx25y pool. There were 8 lanes in the racing course. On the other side of a bulkhead, many more lanes for warmup.

Saturday I ached all over and that night my sleep was interrupted by neuropathy (nerve pain) both symptoms of an autoimmune condition I've had for 8 years. So Sunday morning I did 30 min of gentle yoga. I felt much better after that and all day, so I'm going to continue that morning routine. Now to the 1st question

A Brief 'Essay' on Warmup/Tuneup
In college (1968-72), we did the same warmup every single workout for four years -- 800 Swim, 200 Pull, 200 Kick. That was very much in line with what conventional thinking said the body needed--distance and/or duration of activity--to be ready to work hard. Indeed, most club and college teams today--nearly 50 years later--use virtually the same routine: 200SKPS (200 each of Swim, Kick, Pull, Swim) or 200 Swim, Kick, Pull, Drill.

Repeating a rote routine every day starts that process of shutting down cognitive neurons--putting the swimmer on autopilot.

When I began coaching I stuck with what I knew or the first year or so. But, before long I began to introduce far more drill practice, and made it quite rigorous.
When I took up Masters swimming at 39 initially I reflexively warmed up as I had 20 years earlier in college.
When I swam meets I felt I needed an even longer warmup, generally about 30 minutes.

But in the last few years, as calf and foot cramps have limited me from doing more than about 2500y (100 pushoffs) in a practice, I began to feel that every single lap--starting with the first--was a precious opportunity to build, refine, or embed skills. So my swimming was very purposeful and focused from the first length. I noticed that I could feel tuned up MUCH faster than I formerly felt 'warmed' up. I believe this is because of two factors
1) The brain responds to stimuli much faster than do the muscles and circulatory system.
2) My nervous system is so familiar with the tasks of efficient swimming and increasing Stroke Rate/Tempo while maintaining Stroke Length/SPL that it needs only a brief reminder.

On Sunday at the meet I tuned up prior to my first event--200 FR--for about 10 minutes. I swam 500y alternating FR and BK at 14 and 15 SPL respectively. Then I swam 2 rounds of 3 x 25 FR -- one each at 15-16-17, the range of counts I expected to use during the race. I finished each with a flip turn/foot-touch. Then I went straight to the starting block to swim.
Following the event I went directly to warmup pool and swam super-gently for 200 to 250y -- alternating 25BK and 25FR -- to assist my muscles in clearing lactic acid. I never even left the pool since my 2nd event, 100 BK would come so quickly. Before going to the blocks for that I swam 3 x 25 at 15-16-17 strokes. I finished each with a turn and foot touch.

I repeated that routine before and after each event--a cool down to clear lactic acid following a race, a brief tuneup to 'remind' my nervous system of its next task before the next race.
Except the final event, 200 BK. I got deeply engrossed in a conversation which was interrupted when I heard my name being announced for my 200 BK heat, for which everyone else was assembled. I grabbed my goggles and raced to the block, without a tuneup. The event still went well, as my splits show.

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 12-15-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-17-2015
Head Coach

Default Encouraging Set of 100y Free repeats

Thurs 17 Dec -- 1900y in 35 min
My last practice, on Monday, was restorative after swimming 5 fairly intense races just a day earlier. I couldn't get to the pool Tues or Wed so today I felt confident of being sufficiently recovered to tackle an ambitious main set.

Tuneup 500 (50FR25BK continuous)
Doing 500 this way I end up swimming 350y of Free and 150y of Back.
I'll try this again in the near future in various ways, such as doing 3 reps of this descended, sometimes as I did today, sometimes switching so I do 50y back repeats alternating with 25s of free.
But today I did it pretty relaxed holding 15SPL for free and 16SPL for back.

Main Set
3 rounds of (4 x 100) FR @ 15+16+16+17 SPL. Descend each round.
1st round on 1:35 interval. I descended from 1:23 to 1:21. Very pleased with this, but the best was yet to come.
2nd round on 1:40 interval. Times 1:24 to 1:19.
3rd round on 1:45 interval. Times 1:24 to 1:16 (glimpse)

Here's how I approached the descending part of each round of 4 x 100
1st 100. Mostly emphasized establishing best form and feel. Light touch. No kick on pushoff or breakout
2nd 100 - Added firmness to the catch. One light dolphin to breakout.
3rd 100 -- Added a crisper movement in hips and felt strong in the core. One firmer dolphin to breakout
4th 100 -- Added firmness in kick. Strong, sustained flutter to breakout.

And here's how I used info from Sunday's race.
In my best race the 500 FR I averaged 70 strokes per 100y at an average pace of 1:22/100.

On today's set I swam more than twice as many 100s, at a faster average pace . . . while taking six fewer strokes/100.

And my last 100 equalled my pace for the 200 Free.

I'm highly encouraged by how I swam today and have now set my sights on doing a set like this, where my average for the entire set is 1:16, a time I was able to hit just once today. It might take me until March to accomplish that but I"m confident I can do it.

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 12-23-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-19-2015
Head Coach

Default Year's Best set of 100y Back Repeats

Sat 19 Dec -- 3000y in 65 min at Bard College
Tuneup

3 x 500 50FR/25BK on 9:00. Descend while holding stroke count constant
In my last practice, I did one of these 500s as a tuneup and said I'd return to it to experiment with it as a descending set. Each 500 includes 350y of free and 150y of back.
I held 15 SPL on FR and 16 SPL on BK. My times were
Times: 8:14 - 8:04 - 7:49

Main Set
4 rounds of (3 x 100 BK) on 2:00
I held 16-17 strokes on these and descended each round
Round 1 (4 x 100) 1:51-1:42
Round 2 1:46-1:42-1:37
Round 3 1:45-1:41-1:35
Round 4 1:45-1:41-1:35
This was my best set of 100y BK repeats during 2015.

Since swimming a Masters meet last Sunday, I've made good use of information from the meet. I've tried to swim the same or better as my race paces, while taking fewer strokes.
In my 200 BK I swam 3:12 (pace of 1:36/100) at 17-18 strokes. I finished the 3rd and 4th round today at 1:35, while taking four fewer strokes/100.

My next meet will be Jan 23. I'll probably swim many of the same events. I'll take info on SPL and pace from that meet and use it to set new practice targets.

My TI Story