Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2015
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default Broken 500 FR and Broken 200 BK with minimal rest

Alan Perez - You reminded me of one of my favorite ways of combining FR and BK. Like you, my tuneup today was 1000y equally divided between FR and BK. Tomorrow I'll do it your way. I"ll time it and probably make it a semi-standard tuneup.

Fri 4 Dec 2000y in 40 min at SUNY
Tuneup
5 x 200 FR-BK on 3:40 Descend while holding constant SPL.
This was a nearly-exact repeat of a tuneup set I swam at Bard College last Friday. I strained an adductor muscle yesterday. This limits me to swimming only backstroke and freestyle until it heals. This is one of my favorite ways to mix FR and BK.
Here's the set
#1 4x (25FR+25BK)
#2 2x (50FR+50BK)
#3 100FR/100BK
#4 2x (50FR/50BK)
#5 4x (25FR+25BK)
My stroke counts (14FR, 15BK) and times 3:36-3:18 were exactly the same as last Friday.
Tomorrow when I swim Alan's 1000y set -- 2 x 500 -- I'll compare my SPL and pace with what I did on 200s today.

Main Task
Next weekend I'll swim 5 events at a Masters meet at Ithaca College--my first meet in four years. 500 FR and 200 BK are two of them, so I decided to swim them in 'broken' fashion today as a rehearsal and gauge of what I might do.
Broken 500 FR -- 5 x 100 FR on :10 rest
I held 15 SPL. My cumulative time was 6:58 - an average of 1:23 per 100.
Then I swam a single 50 BK as recovery, followed immediately by
Broken 200 BK -- 4 x 50 BK on :10 rest
I held 15+17SPL and my cumulative time was 3:08 - an average of :47 per 50.

This was a very satisfactory rehearsal for swimming in the meet. I'll swim 5 events, and try to give my best effort on each, which means I'll have to focus to stay efficient as fatigue accumulates in the later events. Swimming these two near-max efforts with very little rest between was a good test for how I'll handle that.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 12-06-2015
Head Coach

Default Brain Teaser "Long Axis Groovin"

Sat 5 Dec 1600y in 35 min

A 'Long Axis Combo' is a swim that alternates backstroke and freestyle. Alan did a set earlier this week that he called Long Axis Groovin'
I tried it today. Two successful attempts and two aborted ones made up my entire practice. I timed them and counted strokes.
Alan called it
2 x continuous 500s as...
100FR
25BK 75FR
50BK 50FR
75BK 25FR
100BK

Rest 20 sec then...
100BK
25FR 75BK
50FR 50BK
75FR 25BK
100FR

I did the first version as my Tuneup. I held 15SPL Free and 16SPL Back.
My time was 8:37. I began the 2nd version--starting with 100 BK--on 9:00, a bit more than 20 sec rest.
After about 300 yards I realized I'd lost track of where I was.
I started again.
And again, I lost track after 300 yards. I was feeling uncharacteristically distracted today.

So I repeated version 1, starting with 100 FR. This time I made it all the way through. I shaved a few strokes and 26 seconds over my first attempt, finishing this one in 8:11.

I'll return to this in the next day or two and 'crack this nut' -- i.e. complete both versions without losing my way.
Stay tuned.

My TI Story
Old 12-06-2015

AWP

Terry
I did mention that there was no time for my mind to wander...!
I'm also stoked to try this extended tune up with short axis strokes. I think it will be cool, especially if I can complete it with the desired intent of 'control' whilst groovin'; feeling rhythmic.
Old 12-07-2015
Head Coach

Monday 7 Dec 2300y in 45 min
Tuneup-- Long Axis Groovin'

I feel like I need to keep repeating Alan's fun swimmin' brainteaser until I can get through it without miscues.
I added a little twist.

First I did
100FR
25BK 75FR
50BK 50FR
75BK 25FR
100BK
at 15 SPL FR and 16 SPL BK
My time was 8:37

Then I did it in reverse, subtracting 1 SPL for each -- 14 SPL FR and 15 SPL BK
100BK
25FR 75BK
50FR 50BK
75FR 25BK
100FR
My goal was to swim faster, even while subtracting 20 total strokes.
I barely made that goal with a time of 8:36.

Then I did it a third time, repeating the first version and returning to 15 and 16 strokes. Naturally I expected to swim quite a bit faster. And I did -- 8:14.

Gears Sets
I wrapped up with 4 x (3 x 50) Gears Practice
The odd rounds were backstroke as:
14+15 SPL
15+16 SPL
16+17 SPL
The even rounds were freestyle as:
13+14 SPL
14+15 SPL
15+16 SPL

The idea in these is to descend each round 'automatically' -- i.e. swim faster without trying, simply by adding a stroke each lap.
I struggled to do that on backstroke, but did it with ease on freestyle
Round 1 I swam 51 sec for all three
Round 2 I swam 43-42-41 sec.
Round 3 51-50-49 sec. Better here. I fixed errors I'd made on 1st round
Round 4: 43-42-41 sec.

My TI Story
Old 12-08-2015

AWP

I'll duplicate this practice and mark times too.
I'll add that on my first go I did a similar gears practice after extended tune up, although alternating 100s as 25s and 50s.
We'll see what's in store next...
Old 12-08-2015

AWP

Ok, so after about a weeks time I revisited my 2x500 long axis extended tune up only this time I'd mark times, avg spl and over all perceived effort and execution.
And this time, like Terry, I had a couple of "miscues", taking one extra length of FR instead of BK on the first 500 and extra BK length on the second 500.
I discovered, as Terry did, that the 'confusion' came at the 300yd mark when the set broke into 50s of each stroke.
I didn't stop the swim however, I'd just mark time as is and adjust according to my average pace per 25 of each stroke.
On the first 500 I marked 8:17. Now, that had an extra length of FR, so I noted to add perhaps an extra 8-10sec calculating my avg time per 25 length of BK was approx 28/30sec with turn and approx 21/23 sec per length of FR ; @ 15spl BK and 15spl FR.
On the second go I felt a bit awkward at transition turns and did almost all open turns at transitions and between back lengths.
I did two extra lengths of BK and came in almost exactly one minute slower.
After some recovery lengths to clear the slate, I decided to do a repeat of the set beginning with 100 BK.
Still some trouble on BK turns but completed successfully @ same stroke counts and 8:40ish (forgot to stop my watch). Anyway quite a bit slower, a work in progress...
Finished up with some gears work, no formal set just trying to develop timing and a good hold as I move, cycling through recovery focus, kick timing, hip focus and hold/feeling a big arm full of water...
Old 12-10-2015
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWP View Post
revisited my 2x500 long axis extended tune up . . . like Terry, I had a couple of "miscues", taking one extra length of FR instead of BK on the first 500 and extra BK length on the second 500.
I discovered, as Terry did, that the 'confusion' came at the 300yd mark when the set broke into 50s of each stroke.
Alan
I didn't cop to this when I posted my last practice, but I'll admit it now. On #2 I lost track of where I was at around the 300 mark. So I stopped, returned to the start wall and restarted that 500 on the next :00 on the digital clock.

My TI Story
Old 12-10-2015
Head Coach

Default 3 Broken 100s -- More Consistent and Faster than last week

Wed 9 December 1200y in 30 min.
My mid-day practice at SUNY was actually my 2nd swim of the day--a rarity this time of year. From 7:30-9 am I took two clients of our home Swim Studio to Bard College for a guided practice following two days of instruction in our Endless Pool. I swam with them for most of the 90 minutes. I did mostly 25y repeats and a few 50s. All at super-easy pace and my best form. The effect of this intensive skill work was shown in one of my 50s when I swam it in 24 strokes--the first time in several years I'd swum 50 yards in that few strokes.

Now on to my regular practice. Starting with last week, every Wed that I can I'll swim a series of fast--but efficient--25y repeats as speed training, which I hope will allow me to swim 1:06 or faster for 100y free by next April. That would be an Adirondack Masters 65-69 record for 100 FR. Also my best time in 10 years!

Tuneup Series
5 x 100 FR on 1:45. Hold constant stroke count (14+15+15+16) and descend.
Starting with featherlight pressure and gradually increasing the firmness of my stroke I descended from 1:35 to 1:26. Felt fantastic.

4 x 50 BK on 1:10 Hold constant stroke count (15+16) and descend.
My times improved from :52 to :49. Felt as if my coordination could have been better.

4 x 50 FR on 1:00 Recovery pace. I held stroke count at 13+13 SPL and went :45-:45-:45-:44 sec

Main Set
3 x 'Broken' 100 FR (4 x 25 on :10 rest). Between 100s, swim EZ 50 BK for recovery
1:10-1:09-1:08 at 16+17+17+17 SPL on all three.
I held 16 to 17 strokes
These were better and much more consistent than last week. Measurable progress in just my 2nd time doing this set.

My TI Story
Old 12-10-2015

jenson1a

Terry

I have to ask--when do you record your results in your training?--after each grouping (tuneup, main set, etc) or after you finish your swim? Wondering how you can remember all the details of each part of swim. Is this just a skill that you have learned after so many years of training or do you have a photographic memory? I'm not questioning your results, but I am amazed at the detail that you have. As I am typing this, I thought that this must just be another way to increase focus on what a swimmer s/b doing.

Sherry
Old 12-10-2015
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenson1a View Post
I have to ask--when do you record your results in your training?--after each grouping (tuneup, main set, etc) or after you finish your swim? . . . As I am typing this, I thought that this must just be another way to increase focus on what a swimmer s/b doing.
Exactly. I don't record anything during practice--but I remember almost everything. In many regards, my memory is relatively poor. This is simply a demonstration of how trainable the brain is.
I started in quite a simple way, by counting strokes. That exercise started the process of being able to keep track of many aspects of a set, and developed the ability to do pretty dense on-the-fly analysis of my swims -- math problems of all sorts really.

I thought about the likelihood that the great amount of detail I record in these posts may be intimidating to some readers and have pondered ways I can reduce it while still conveying the essence of my sets and tasks.

However these posts also serve as my training log. And being able to check the data from a set I did last week, month, or year is essential for me in comparing with today's performance or to set a practice goal. So that's why I record here as much as I can recall.

My TI Story