Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2015
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default A Note About Yardage

Careful observers may note that in the last couple of practices I've begun keeping a running tally of the total yardage I've swum since the beginning of my Spring Training program.

Rather than feeding into anyone else's yardage obsession, I'm hoping this running tally--to date only matching the average day's workload for the typical high level club or college swimmer--will support my contention that yardage is not as important as most people believe. I.E. If I can improve my 1500m pace by a full minute in an equivalent amount of yardage as some swimmers do in a single day, there must be some other factor responsible for my improvement.

In this case, it's that every yard I've swum has resulted from
1) On Day One I did a an assessment set that identified a specific combination of SPL and Tempo, that I was capable of holding for a broken 1650 test set.
That capability was both neural and aerobic.
2) In every practice since, every yard I've done has had some relationship to those metrics. Aerobic conditioning has simply happened as my metrics improved literally day by day.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 05-03-2015

Tom Pamperin

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
Rather than feeding into anyone else's yardage obsession, I'm hoping this running tally--to date only matching the average day's workload for the typical high level club or college swimmer--will support my contention that yardage is not as important as most people believe.
Terry,

thanks for this; it's a question I'm keenly interested in as I prepare for my 10-miler in July. As my first big swim, I'm thinking that doing some bigger yardage is kind of psychologically necessary for me to build confidence and retain ease in the event itself.

I also was interested to see how a long, mostly uninterrupted session (5,000m) a few days ago let me settle into my stroke in ways I have never experienced in shorter sessions--I'd be curious if you have any thoughts or advice to share about that here, or on the "Benefits of Big Yardage" thread.

Should be an interesting conversation, with you working on fairly minimal yardage, and me trying to up mine!
Old 05-04-2015
Head Coach

Tom
Once I read your Big Yardage thread I did have some thoughts and reflections to contribute. While I completed my first MIMS on only 15,000 yds per week (a third to half or less of the training done by other participants), prior to it, I did two practices of 3hrs and 10,000 yards. Also in 2010, at age 59, I completed three cycles of one week at 25,000m, one week at 30,000m, and one week at 38,000m (the best-route distance across English Channel) in preparation for a planned series of four marathons--I completed two and abandoned the last two.

I'll post there shortly. Got two busy days to get through first.

My TI Story
Old 05-09-2015
Head Coach

Default An Easy 'Gears' Practice

Thurs 6 May 1300y in 40 min Season Total 14,650y
This was purely a relaxed session with visiting TI UK Coach Tracey Baumann who is nursing a sore achilles tendon, and can't push off.

Tuneup 400y easy at 13SPL

Main Set
8 x 125 Gears Practice (25s at 13-14-15-14-13SPL)
On #s 1-3-5-7 I tried to swim at constant effort, meaning that I felt slightly faster as SPL increased to 14 and 15, then felt myself slow slightly as SPL decreased from 15.
On #s 2-4-6-8 I allowed speed to increase as SPL rose to 15, then tried to maintain speed as SPL dropped again to 13. To do this I had to add integrated , effective power to each stroke.

I really enjoy this and find it invaluable practice. Thanks to Alan Perez for suggesting.

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 05-11-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-09-2015
Head Coach

Default Main Set of 125y repeats at increasing tempo

Fri 8 May 2650y in 55min Season Total: 17,300y
Tuneup
Easy 400, sequencing lengths of 25FR @ 13 SPL, 25BK @ 16SPL, 25BR @ 8 SPL
This is one of my favorite tuneups. I could do it practically every practice.

Main Set 3 rounds of (6 x 125) on increasing tempos
Round 1 Avg 1:49 at 1.18 Tempo Interval - 2:10
50 EZ BK
Roumd 2 Avg 1:47 at 1.15 Tempo. Interval - 2:15
50 EZ Back
Round 3 Avg 145 at 1;.13 Tempo (1-3) and 1:44 at 1.12 Tempo (4-6) Interval 2:20

Notes: I began this practice feeling a little low on both mental and physical energy. So I thought I'd just stay in Tempo/SPL comfort zone and not push to lower stroke count. Today would be a day of imprinting, more than improving.
My target SPL became 15 because that felt easy to maintain at 1.18 Tempo. I still felt quite relaxed and controlled--but with stronger focus--at 1.15 Tempo and 15 SPL.
At 1.13 I still didn't feel like I was pressed that much to hold 15 SPL. So for last three I advanced Tempo to 1.12. Though it was only .01 faster, this was definitely my edge. I had to do everything right, stay focused every moment and add some 'integrated snap' (Alan calls it 'oomph') to my stroke to avoid needing that 16th stroke on any lap. I succeeded on 14 of 15 lengths on these last 3 x 125.

It's always valuable to know where your edge is on a combination of Tempo/SPL/Distance.

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 05-11-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-09-2015

AWP

Funny how in following your process Terry, that I often find myself on a similar page in my practices.
My Friday morning practice included an exercise I like to include usually as a tune-up or second set but ended with it this go (my mornings are usually limited 30 min.).
I also ticked down the TT to 1.18 and hoped to increase pace as I repeated and stayed within the same spl average.
Added too was a focus to each repeat as a.) weightless lead arm b.) light pressure catch and c.) 'Snap' 2bk, a little oomph. I then put it all together and ended sans TT.

6x100 FR @ TT 1.18 on 2:00
1.) 1:29 weightless arm
2.) 1:28 light catch
3.) 1:27 2bk 'snap'
4.) 1:25 "Put it all together"
5.) 1:25 light catch; sort of pyramid focus
6.) 1:22 No TT, swam each length @ 14spl firm
My tempo on #6 I'll guess was at approx. 1.10
It was also my contention to use this set in a round of three (when I have a longer practice session), changing tempo each round (perhaps 1.18>1.15>1.12 or 1.18>1.15<1.18...) go figure.
I was pleased with my capacity to execute this rather successfully.
From #1 to #3 I was able to subtract a stroke but with increased 'effort'. As I proceeded, effort decreased but speed maintained/increased, nice.
The session began with a continuous 15 min. swim, melding a tune-up with spl 'pyramid' focus and ended with 2x100 w/d @ 14spl.

Best,
Alan
Old 05-11-2015
Head Coach

Default First Lake Swim on Sunday. Main Set of 75y repeats on Monday

Sunday May 10 at Lake Awosting
I did my first open water swim yesterday. I estimate water temp at about 53F (I'll bring a thermometer with me next time). I work silicon and neoprene caps plus ear plugs, but forgot my goggles. I felt the cold and slight discomfort (ice cream headache) for about 3 minutes, then felt completely comfortable the rest of the time. I swam at a very leisurely pace and Tempo (estimate 1.15 to 1.20) because I was planning a somewhat demanding pool practice today so I wanted yesterday's lake swim to be at recovery pace. It's the most comfortable I've ever been--and the longest swim--for my first spring swim of the year. I'm excited to have my outdoor season underway. I hope to swim there two more times this week.

Monday May 11 2900y (Season Total: 20,200y)
Tuneup
5 x 100 No-Fly IM on 2:10 (25FR@13SPL, 25BK@14SPL, 25BR@15SPL, 25FR@13SPL)

Notes: I swam superslow and super-gentle on #1 and gradually increased stroke pressure on each 100. I descended from 1:59 to 1:47--12 seconds faster without adding a stroke.
Even on my Tuneup I like to practice the Swimming Success Algorithm -- increase tempo while holding Stroke Length constant.
How many of you can descend a set of 100s by 12 sec without adding a stroke?

Main Set
4 rounds of 6 x 75 on 1:30 at increasing tempos (+50 EZ BK between rounds)
Round 1: Avg 64 sec on 1.17 Tempo (mostly 14 SPL)
Round 2: Avg 63 sec on 1.15 Tempo (mostly 14 SPL)
Round 3: Avg 62 sec on 1.13 Tempo (a few more lengths at 15 SPL)
Round 4: Avg 61 sec on 1.12 Tempo (14 SPL on 1st 25 of each 75, then 15 SPL)

Notes: After my results on the main set of 125s on Sat, because these are my shortest repeats, I decided to push entire tempo range down a bit to test how much of the set I could maintain 14SPL on. This was a very good test, taking all my focus.
My times were the same as the last time I did 75s as my main set -- at slower tempos, but maintaining an average of 14 SPL throughout. I have to adapt to this faster tempo range and be able to complete these sets in an average of 14 SPL in order to make my times faster.

Cool Down Set: 2 rounds of 4 x 50 on 1:00 Ascending - i.e. swim slightly slower on each successive 50, but under control
I did both sets at a consistent 29 strokes, ascending from 43/44 sec on #1 to 48 sec on #4 on each. I did this by applying iighter pressure to the water. Because my SL remained constant as I slowed down, my SR must have slowed--a result of lighter pressure.

Later this week--possibly on Wed, I'll repeat the baseline set of 3 x 550, but at faster tempos this time. I should go faster, but don't expect to improve anywhere near the minute I improved last time.

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 05-11-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-19-2015
Head Coach

Default Broken 1650 - with SPL, not Tempo, as primary metric

Commencement week activities had the pool shut since my last practice May 11. I did get in one lake swim of 30 minutes on Sunday May 17 though. Yesterday it was time for me to revisit the 'broken' 1650 (3 x 550) that has served as my baseline set since I ended my 7-month hiatus and resumed training April 20.

Monday 18 May 2400y in 45 min (Season Total: 22,600y)
I had planned to do a main set of 3 x 550 on tempos of 1.18, 1.15, 1.13 -- the tempos I've used in this training cycle. But when I arrived at the pool, I found I'd forgotten my Tempo Trainer, so instead I did the following set

Main (Only) Set
4 x (550 Pace + 50 Recovery) on 10:00
#1 Tuneup @ 13 SPL Time 8:35 This was super-easy
#2 @ 14 SPL Time 8:21 (This felt like 80%)
#3 @ 15 SPL Time 8:07 (This felt like 85%)
#4 @ 16 SPL Time 7:57 (This felt like 90%)

My cumulative 1650 time for #s 2-3-4 was 24:25 (two seconds slower than last time),but I calculate Tempo at 14 SPL and 8:21 as 1.3 which is considerably slower than the range I've been swimming at. So I'll repeat this set, with my current Tempo range, later this week to get a more accurate measure of where I am now, and to choose tempo settings for my next cycle of 3-4 practices.

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 05-23-2015 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05-20-2015

WFEGb

Hello Terry,

do you mind to tell how you do set your start metric after a longer off pool time?

Seems you're almost able to start at your last pool experience. For me it's hard to swim a continues 200m. Even worse I lost my recovery stroke and had to look at nearly a month...

Best regards,
Werner

PS: This is especially a question for you, because I think it will fit into your thread here. I'll start a new thread to read some thoughts of other swimmers...
Old 05-20-2015
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFEGb View Post
Hello Terry,

do you mind to tell how you do set your start metric after a longer off pool time?
Werner
I have to acknowledge that my results, etc. will probably be difficult for most others to replicate. I've been swimming 50+ years, practicing TI since the very beginning, and have spent the last 10 years or so training with metrics far more precise and personalized than I believe anyone else has attempted previously. I'm so used to 'cognitively difficult' tasks, that I handle tasks of considerable complexity with ease now.

In any case I chose my starting range of tempos for this project with a guesstimate of what tempos would allow me to complete the set without going above my chosen SPL range of 13-16. On my initial baseline, I was able to do this, but just barely, on the 550 with the fastest tempo -- 1.15 at the time. That told me I'd estimated quite well.

However while my results may be difficult to replicate, the training model I'm documenting here should be feasible for many people to employ at some level. I'm enormously excited about my current project of writing a new book to explain this approach to training. I believe it has the potential to be as much of a game-changer as the original TI book was on the subject of technique.

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 05-20-2015 at 11:52 PM.