Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012

smat
Default No Kick

Tried today to swim with no kick and could not do it at all. I practiced for over 2 hours on some other mindful training and at the end of the session it was muted that you should be able to swim with no kick . My legs just sink completely. Should i go back and spend months again on all the drills that i am very good at. Am i bad at swimming because i can not balance/float. I have just passed my fitness test at work with flying colours so tried not to get too frustrated today when a 68 year old man who had heart problems was doing 35 strokes a length in 40 sec in a 50 mtr pool. He was doing one length at a time . I must be doing something fundamentally wrong and i am prepared to work at it but surely i should not be as bad as i am. If i do not ever get balance should i stay with that until i do.?
Thanks.
Old 11-11-2012

CharlesCouturier

Hey Arnie boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smat View Post
Should i go back and spend months again on all the drills that i am very good at.
That I don't know. I tend to get people to learn by necessity, which means that they're thrown to drills that are hard to master for them. This approach is very different to that promoted by several schools of thoughts, you would rather get you to perform drills over which you have a decent level of mastery.
Quote:
Am i bad at swimming because i can not balance/float.
You feel bad at swimming mainly because of balance/buoyancy/posture issues yes.
Quote:
If i do not ever get balance should i stay with that until i do.?
I prefer a more balanced approach (no pun intended) where you would work on that (which you dislike) but also on other aspects, some of which you would hopefully like better.
Quote:
Thanks.
You're welcome
Old 11-12-2012

Ken B
Default No kick too

Charles, with your permission, and ss, I took my fins to the pool and tried your rotation and unco drills, good fun.

Then I tried freestyle without kicking, holding my feet still and fins together. I was amazed at how much pressure rotation put on my thighs and how hard it was to resist knee bend and a toe flick. It also lifted my hips too high and made breathing difficult. An illuminating experiment for me.

Ken
Old 11-13-2012

ashby

A good exhalation helps me keep my legs up but it's very difficult without kicking that's for sure. I'm tall with very lean legs, that must make a difference surely? Buoyancy does seem to make a huge difference, Shinji looks ultra-buoyant compared to Terry in those youtube clips of them trying to lie on their sides.
Old 11-13-2012

CharlesCouturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
Charles, with your permission, and ss, I took my fins to the pool and tried your rotation and unco drills, good fun.

Then I tried freestyle without kicking, holding my feet still and fins together. I was amazed at how much pressure rotation put on my thighs and how hard it was to resist knee bend and a toe flick. It also lifted my hips too high and made breathing difficult. An illuminating experiment for me.

Ken
Any experience aimed at raising awareness is a great experience, and I can't possibly think of any single exception here.

I was recently being asked about the usefulness of swimming the full stroke underwater as a drill. To do it regularlly? Not convinced. As a means of raising awareness? Great idea. Swimming with a long sleeve T-Shirt, with a pull buoy, with fins and a pull buoy, with fins a pull buoy a pair of blue jeans and a t-shirt, + a pair of hand paddles, who cares, bring it on!

How can become more aware be a bad thing....
Old 11-13-2012

smat

Charles . i do not understand your threads . I will continue to practice and practice and i will become a very good swimmer. Will try and work out what you are trying to say. Thanks for replying though.
Old 11-13-2012
Coach

CoachIngridMiller

Smat,

People try all sorts of things in the water - that does not mean those things are necessary for you to try and perhaps get frustrated over. If you want to explore body position and rotation, take it in smaller steps.

Can you glide for 10 seconds or so in Superman Glide (no kick)? Good. If you release your head, open the axilla (armpit) and focus on excellent posture (lengthen the spine, keep the shoulderblades slid down low away from the ears, let the chest expand to the side and suck in your abdominals) you will find you can glide further. When you pull one arm down and rotate into the skate position, you will likewise be able to hold that position for a few seconds without kicking. These exercises help you to hone your balance but ultimately you will be using your legs in some capacity to swim. You need them to help with hip rotation.

Rather than trying whole stroke without kicking at all, focus on quieting and keeping the legs straight and close together behind you. Taping the tops of the feet together with each switch is one way to do this. At some point you may find that the "kick" as you know it, isn't really necessary compared to the smaller positional shifts in the legs that I describe......

If you are having trouble doing any of these moves, you are probably bending at the hip or the waist and losing the strength and rigidity of the kinetic chain of muscles that join leg, glute, back, shoulder, arm. These drills will help you become more aware of that connection which is crucial.

I hope this helps.
Old 11-14-2012

smat

I will try tommorrow and thanks .