Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012

nicka
Default My 2012 Goal

Now summers over here its no more ocean swims and back to the pool with a new goal.

For most people here this would be a slow swim but for me i think it will be one more step forward(Or one less stroke :) )

Currently i am swimming 20*25 meter laps (500 meters) at a best time of 10.30 and to do this 3 times for 1500 meters i am at 11.00 per 500 for a 33 minute swim.

So what i would like to achieve is a consistent 1500 meter 30 minute swim.

Several months ago i was swimming about 11 to 11.30 minutes for 500 but the last couple of pool swims i have been able to improve on my turns which i believe has taken a second or so off which in turn gives me less rest so now it's going to be all down to technique for some more time shedding and energy saving.

What i found out just today also by reading the Tempo Trainer manual and that i am sure everyone else already knows is that it has a mode 2 that i am going to make use of.

By setting the TT to 31 seconds and trying to complete my lap turn on the beep i think this will be a good start and will get my time down to a 10.20

I think i would be better this way with the TT than setting an SR as i will then know each lap where i am at for more consistent lap time and to see where my times starts to drop off.

Then when i seem to be able to achieve this consistency it will be onto the 30 second setting for a 10.00 minute 500 meter to follow with a 20 minute 1000 meter and finally a 30 minute 1500.

It would be nice if the TT could be set at 30.5 for a 10.10 time for a more gradual increase but its not possible so I'll have to make do with a 1 second lap improvement.

Well that's the plan and we'll see what happens.

It's drill time.
Old 04-15-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicka View Post
Now summers over here its no more ocean swims and back to the pool with a new goal.

For most people here this would be a slow swim but for me i think it will be one more step forward(Or one less stroke :) )

Currently i am swimming 20*25 meter laps (500 meters) at a best time of 10.30 and to do this 3 times for 1500 meters i am at 11.00 per 500 for a 33 minute swim.

So what i would like to achieve is a consistent 1500 meter 30 minute swim.

Several months ago i was swimming about 11 to 11.30 minutes for 500 but the last couple of pool swims i have been able to improve on my turns which i believe has taken a second or so off which in turn gives me less rest so now it's going to be all down to technique for some more time shedding and energy saving.

What i found out just today also by reading the Tempo Trainer manual and that i am sure everyone else already knows is that it has a mode 2 that i am going to make use of.

By setting the TT to 31 seconds and trying to complete my lap turn on the beep i think this will be a good start and will get my time down to a 10.20

I think i would be better this way with the TT than setting an SR as i will then know each lap where i am at for more consistent lap time and to see where my times starts to drop off.

Then when i seem to be able to achieve this consistency it will be onto the 30 second setting for a 10.00 minute 500 meter to follow with a 20 minute 1000 meter and finally a 30 minute 1500.

It would be nice if the TT could be set at 30.5 for a 10.10 time for a more gradual increase but its not possible so I'll have to make do with a 1 second lap improvement.

Well that's the plan and we'll see what happens.

It's drill time.
You could always set it at 61 for each 50?

I have tried the TT beep test setting but find it quite stressful and hard to relax. hope it goes better for you.
Old 04-18-2012
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Nicka
You must be down-under (OZ, NZ or SA) if summer just ended. I'm delighted the open water season is just starting here.
I agree the Tempo Trainer can be an incredibly helpful tool for gaining speed, but I have to raise the question how you'll reach your goal of improving your 1500m time by 3 minutes simply by setting the TT to beep at 31 second intervals, then 30 second intervals. What will you do BETWEEN beeps (i.e. between the walls) to ensure you reach the wall by the time it beeps?

How many strokes are you taking to complete 25m? You made no mention of that but it's the MOST critical number since Stroke Length correlates more closely with speed than any other metric.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 04-20-2012

nicka

Thanks Andy
I gave this a try and i got over 1/2 a lap ahead early on without trying and then i just held a pace to keep in that position and this allowed me to relax more knowing i was in front of my goal.
I swam what would have been a 10.10-10.15 as i got held up in the last couple of laps from other swimmers but this was a PB.

Hi Terry
I hear what your saying as these are probably what you call garbage laps but the problem is now the outdoor 50m pool has closed and it gets very populated in the indoor 25 and makes it hard to do drills at times.
I realize that this will not help my swimming and i intend to improve my stroke and reduce my SPL through the year with the drills and ninja type sessions when possible but when it gets populated i will be using the TT to give me a guide where i am during the 20 lap/40 lap/60 lap session holding a pace and to be able to increase/decrease that pace to be able to complete the 1500 in 30 minutes.

My TI skills are atrocious after watching myself on video but i will be working on them and like you said in another thread "in the end the health and happiness swimming brings you is the real goal" and if i can reach my goal also, then i will be real happy :)

Nick