Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Discuss Terry's Blog Posts
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2009

chadtennant
Default Which way should I follow?

I have been reading the Total Immersion book, and began the drills outlined in the book.
Then I downloaded the Easy Freestyle Manual off of the website. As I was reading through the drills outlined in the manual, I realized very quickly that they were different from the Total Immersion book drills.

I was confused because Terry Laughlin wrote both.

So the question is....which should I follow?

Thanks for the help and direction.

I was hoping to get a DVD to follow along with the Total Immersion book, but it appears that there isn't one that follows the steps from the book. There is a DVD that follows the Easy Freestyle Manual though.
Old 02-14-2009

daveblt

If you are referring to the 2004 book ,although very good info. (I must have read through that book hundreds of times ) the easy freestyle is a little more updated with newer technique.

Dave
Old 02-14-2009

Richardsk

I second Dave's message. The Total Immersion book ( 2004 edition) was a milestone in my swimming. I think it is the best book on swimming I have ever read and I've read a few.

However, one of the great things about Terry Laughlin and the whole Total Immersion movement ( if that's the right word) is that he is very open minded and constantly looking for new and quicker ways to teach people to swim well and to be put on a path of constant improvement.

The newest books and DVDs incorporate a lot of revisions made as a result of feedback form TI students and teachers, and also probably from constructive criticism from elsewhere in the swimming world.

There is also destructive criticism out there.
Old 02-14-2009

Rhoda

The main difference between the 2004 book and the newer material is, you are no longer "stacked" perpendicular to the pool bottom in Fish, Skating, and switch drills. Although the purpose of having people that stacked was probably exaggeration to overcome old flat swimming muscle memory, it tended to produce over-rotation in the actual swim stroke for some people. Another difference is that the recovering arm comes up wide for the Shark Fin/Zen drills, instead of up the side - it's now Zen Switch instead of Zipper Switch. This was to give a more natural angle for the shoulder, with less impingement.

Other than that, there isn't a huge difference. Some of the drills that were dropped, I am now doing and finding useful. They were too tricky for the beginner that I was back then, but are do-able now that I have gotten a little more advanced.
Old 02-19-2009

LilBeav

I had been pounding out a drill/endurance routine that I had found on the web to get me from couch to 750 yards in 3 months. About 10 weeks into the program I was talking with a friend about it and he said he had a book for me to read. Yep, Total Immersion. It was the 1994 (original?) version. I asked my son's swim coach what he thought, read it or give it back. He said he fully endorsed what Terry taught and told me to go for it. So I read it. At some point I came to this website and checked out the Free Stuff. Hmmm, there seems to have been some changes to the drills. So I purchased a copy of the Revised, 2004 edition Book. Read through it and found out there was a companion DVD that complemented the book. I think the DVD I watched was made in 2003. The previous post indicate that there is a newer version available. I guess my question is, What are the Titles and years of the Book and DVD that will get me drilling with the current drills/techniques?

BTW, I now enjoy comfortable 500 yard warm-ups, 30-40 minutes of drill work and 750 yard 'cool' downs nearly daily.
Old 02-19-2009

AWP

LilBeav

Just peek to the right >>>>>> on this site under "featured products". These are the latest and greatest. Extraordinary Swimming for Every Body is the book.

Terry is also posting chapters of his latest book on OW for comments and review so have a read (under Forums).