Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2011

naj
Default 15 X 1500M? Why not!!!

Its funny how things come to you out of the blue. Case in point, this afternoon while I was enjoying the sunshine of my lovely city, I had a revelation. I've been looking for some interesting pool sets to do and then I read about a friend of mine who did a wild set while preparing for his English Channel swim. 15 x 1500m. I thought about it and realized that although it would be challenging I should give it a whirl. Here's how its going to work - hopefully - I go in at 6am armed with my favorite feeds waiting for me near my lane, push off and just keep swimming. After every set, i stop for 30- 45 ecs, feed and start all over again. yes that's right only 30 sec rest in between sets. i want to make this as close to real case scenario for The Cook Strait as possible, though those feedings I will try to keep to 15-20 sec. Anyway, I'm planning on doing this next month at a 50m pool on the campus of The University of San Francisco. I'll let you know how it goes!

Keep Swimming!
Naji
Old 06-20-2011

AWP

Naj,
I'd only recommend that you have a 'goal' for each repeat, within each repeat or blocks of repeats.
Will someone be spotting you?
I'm amazed the pool will remain open for that period of time.
Can you not do something similar in OW? Too cold?
Perhaps it's time to delve further into the other strokes for variety and 'stamina' (?)
Have fun my friend!
Old 06-20-2011

AWP

Here is a set I did last week,
4x250FR + 4x100IM as
The IMs were done between 250 repeats with short rest after 250s.
On the 250s my plan was to ultimately increase pace with each succeeding repeat while first increasing spl by 1 or 2 strokes in the second half of each repeat. Then try and subtract at least 1 stroke while still holding or increasing pace.
I managed to increase pace pretty easily until the final 250 when I returned to the lower stroke length that I began with, however still came in at a time several seconds faster.
On the IMs my focus was on rhythm and so began with a quicker tempo and a spl or two higher then focused on reducing the counts with each different swim stroke while trying to hold the 'same' tempo. I did this by feel and felt successful.
Just some fun food for thought.
Incidentally you can add as many rounds to a set like this that will keep you successfully engaged.

Best,
Alan
Old 06-20-2011

JBeaty

Naj,

While I think you are nuts for doing this set, though I do wish you the best of luck, I would defintily have some goals in mind for the set.
You might consider doing speed play swims within each 1500. 1) A gradual descend of 100's by time. 2) Descend by 300's. 3) Descend by stroke count. 4) On the odd number 50's, add a brisk swim. On the evens, calm swim on the way back. 5) etc, etc, etc until you have finished.

If your only game plan is to swim 15x1500 meters, it will be a long day. The more tired you get, the longer the day becomes.

Good Luck.
Old 06-20-2011

Rincewind

Ultra distance athletes incorporate sets like that into their training to get an idea of what their bodies will go through and to rehearse the food and fluid intake routine for the actual event.

Those are really the only benefits of doing something like that.
Old 06-20-2011

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
Ultra distance athletes incorporate sets like that into their training to get an idea of what their bodies will go through and to rehearse the food and fluid intake routine for the actual event.

Those are really the only benefits of doing something like that.
Exactly the reason why I'm doing this. However, AWP and JBeaty make good points. Trude I could do this in ow and plan on it, but the logistics for this are simple (i.e. no support craft). Yeah its a nutty set but I never get bored in the water even in the pool. Thanks to all three of you for your invaluable support.

Naji
Old 06-28-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWP View Post
Naj,
I'd only recommend that you have a 'goal' for each repeat, within each repeat or blocks of repeats.
I'm with Alan on this. It's a common, and I feel short-sighted (or more accurately short on imagination) practice among marathoners -- and some coaches of swimmers more youthful than us -- to do sets that seem designed mainly to test what's the maximum number of maximal-length repeats you can do. Sets of 15 x 1000 or 10 x 1500 are actually not that uncommon.

But it also becomes a test of one's ability to maintain your sanity. Most people do so by either tuning out entirely, going on autopilot, or distracting themselves with mental games that have little to do with the task at hand. It's the antithesis of mindfulness. Also of Deliberate Practice.

I abhor the very idea of any training that encourages autopilot, and have never done anything remotely like it while preparing for my two 47k Manhattan Island Marathons or my 40k Tampa Bay Marathon. In fact, I thought it much more critical to train for mental endurance (the ability to maintain a targeted focus on--or stay present with--each stroke for a swim of 8 to 12 hours, than to train for metabolic endurance.

A possible task for such a set. Can you swim an SPL pyramid within a 1500?
EG. 40-41-42-41-40 SPL by 300s.
Tempo Trainer and SPL could also help with focus.

And as John suggested, it's a good idea to start with just 3 to 4, especially if you've never done 1500 repeats. it will be easier to create tasks that require full focus when you do 3 to 4. And you'll have a good idea of how good your mental endurance (ability to stay on task) and motor endurance (ability to resist efficiency degradation) is on a more moderate set. My guess is that you'll find that a set of 5000 to 6000m gives you all you need.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 06-28-2011 at 09:34 PM.