Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2009

juliag
Default New to TI, swimming crooked

I'm new to TI - heard about it searching a triathlon site for how to swim faster. While training for my first tri (sprint distance) I got some pointers that improved my horrible freestyle from exhausted after 25 yds (and I could do 1/2 mile of breaststroke no problem) to being able to swim continuous freestyle for 500 yds without feeling like I was going to die. Still, I'm extremely slow in any stroke (3 min per 100 yds), so I new my form needed more help. I cut 1-1/2 minutes off my running mile time by moving my legs faster, and training regularly to improve my cardio conditioning, but that wasn't going to work with swimming. So I'm hoping this TI program will help.

I just started the drills from the book and video, and while kicking on my back with arms at my sides I veer to the right. I knew my backstroke was crooked, but I thought the problem was my arms, not my legs. I'm thinking I shouldn't move on to other drills until I fix this problem. How can I swim straight?
Old 09-24-2009

eddiewouldgo

By applying force to water symmetrically, so that each movement by the right side of your body is mirrored by a matching movement with the left side of your body.

Make your right leg kick like your left leg, and vice versa.
Old 09-24-2009
Coach

CoachBrian

It could be a matter of inequal force applied by your legs, or it could be alignment of the body.

In either case, don't let it prevent you from moving on to the next drill. It will most likely get better as you go through the other drills.

I often notice that swimmers doing Superman Glides for the first time are unstable and don't move straight. After one or two lengths, their bodies learn stability and move straighter, although few of them know what they did different.
Old 09-29-2009

juliag

Thanks for the feedback. As I'm practicing and able to propel myself (slowly) with a relaxed kick, I'm not drifting quite as much. I'll keep working on the drills.
Old 10-04-2009

westyswoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliag View Post
Thanks for the feedback. As I'm practicing and able to propel myself (slowly) with a relaxed kick, I'm not drifting quite as much. I'll keep working on the drills.
I had the same problems when initially starting balance drills. One of the difficulties is previous injuries allowing one part of my body more flexibiltiy and strength than another. Try some gentle dry land stretching prior to the drills. Which we all should do anyway. Find what is tight left vs right... Also do not discount the fact that different pools can have considerable turbulance, when doing drills and balance drills make it difficult to stay straight and move.

It will take patience and practice.................