Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

alan, thanks for your comments.

Terry & I had a discussion about this briefly via text, but I'll be eager to hear any additional input he has on this thread, for the benefit of others as well.

To answer your question about the SPL, no I was not really trying.

14 & 15 SPL have been "happening" to me when I get in the pool and warmup. AT tempos that would have previously yielded 15 on a good day or 16 routinely, 14s are now routine.

At my old comfy tempo of 1.3, I now hit 14 without trying. I'm not saying that its indefinately sustainble, but for 4-8 or more in a row (cntinuous lengths) it's easy.

I've significantly improved my strength:weight, or strength:drag ratio and am seeing that carry over into swimmig without any additional effort.

Maintaining 14SPL at a faster tempo or just trying to get out as much speed as I can from 14 strokes, I've managed to hit a 1:30 at 14 SPL, again , with very little effort in that it wasn't "hard" but it did feel a bit like lifting a heavy weight.

I think the set I did at 1.2 was instructive for me as my new body / new stroking attributes are really changing how I feel in the water and I need to find a new area of comfort & enjoyment in training.

The plus side is that it's all been making me faster and leaner. :)

Onward... ;)
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-06-2013
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWP View Post
I never hold myself to "where I should be" only how I felt with those metrics and results.

If it was easy and time a bit 'slow' I work on efficiency until that "easy" feeling is quicker.

If time was "pretty good" but I strained, I work on efficiency until the strain goes away and matches time; one metric at a time, then two... it aint easy ; )
I broke out the highlights of the rare and practical pearls of wisdom Alan dropped along the way.

Alan's mental approach to this -- and I strongly suspect all -- training is to view everything that happens in a practice as simply information. A data point as I sometimes like to say.
All information is potentially valuable if you use it constructively.

Note that his response to two different situations is the same.

If time is pretty good, but feels strained, he focuses on efficiency. In other words, is there an easier way to accomplish the same task (spl+tempo)?

If it was easy but felt a bit slow, he still works on efficiency. In this case effectiveness.

If tempo is set, but time is slower than I believe I have the potential for, the only way to improve is to subtract a stroke or two where possible. Some of the ways I endeavor to do this include
1) Gentler, more patient catch -- to convert hand pressure more directly into locomotion. Of course this is entirely counterintuitive. Stroke more gently and a bit slower to go faster??? Most folks would scoff at the notion. But try it next time you swim with a TT. It works! And when it does you save that insight and experience in your mental 'speed computer.'
2) Better turns. Trying to get to a breakout a bit farther down the pool, just as quickly (since limited by 4 beeps) as a turn that didn't take you as far. When I do that I can either save a stroke, or take the same number with less strain.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 02-06-2013
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
Maintaining 14SPL at a faster tempo or just trying to get out as much speed as I can from 14 strokes, I've managed to hit a 1:30 at 14 SPL, again , with very little effort in that it wasn't "hard" but it did feel a bit like lifting a heavy weight.
In our text exchange, I did suggest to Suzanne that she might have better results -- not just time but mojo -- from doing the set with a moderately faster tempo.

Her SPLs are exemplary for her 5-3 height, but just as SPL can be height-indexed, perhaps tempo can be too, though perhaps to a lesser degree. Because someone who is 5-3 should be able to complete a movement cycle somewhat more quickly than someone who is 6-0 (like me), I can see some logic in adjusting tempo ranges faster as height declines.

Sun Yang, looked very leisurely at .9

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 02-06-2013

Moira Horan

I am registered for the level 1 clinic later this month in Coral Springs. Thought I'd take the swim test and post my results as Terry suggested we could.

I have a Garmin 910XT so it makes it pretty easy to track. Here is what I got:

Interval Time Distance Avg Pace
1 1:40.6 100 1:40
:20 sec rest
2 3:18.1 200 1:39
:30 sec rest
3 4:56.9 300 1:39
4 6:34.1 400 1:38

I set the tempo trainer to 1.25

My stroke count was an average of 14 for the 100 and an average of 16 for the 200, 300 and 400
Old 02-06-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira Horan View Post
I am registered for the level 1 clinic later this month in Coral Springs. Thought I'd take the swim test and post my results as Terry suggested we could.

I have a Garmin 910XT so it makes it pretty easy to track. Here is what I got:

My stroke count was an average of 14 for the 100 and an average of 16 for the 200, 300 and 400
Moira, based on that, you don't need a level 1 clinic! :)

Good job, I can't wait to see you swim in person. Those times for that tempo is great. How tall are you?
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-06-2013

Moira Horan

I am 5' 7" Suzanne. And thank you for the compliment.

I am taking the Level 1 Coaching Clinic on February 20th in Coral Springs, will you be there?

I trained quite a few years ago with Don Walsh, and have worked very hard on my own since then. I took a Level 1 swim clinic a couple of years ago with Gary Fahey, and recently have met a couple of times with Maria Crowley, a long-time friend, to get some pointers.

I've wanted to take the coaching clinic myself for many years, very excited about finally doing it.
Old 02-06-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
I am 5' 7" Suzanne. And thank you for the compliment.

I am taking the Level 1 Coaching Clinic on February 20th in Coral Springs, will you be there?

I trained quite a few years ago with Don Walsh, and have worked very hard on my own since then. I took a Level 1 swim clinic a couple of years ago with Gary Fahey, and recently have met a couple of times with Maria Crowley, a long-time friend, to get some pointers.

I've wanted to take the coaching clinic myself for many years, very excited about finally doing it.
Ah, the coaching clinic...I thought you meant the weekend workshop. Yes, I"ll be directing the coaching clinic. :)
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-06-2013

AWP

Quote:

Nice! Don't you love when that happens?
Best of luck @ CS clinic! Will have to join all y'all one day : )

Alan
Old 02-06-2013

Moira Horan

What does this mean about turns?

"Trying to get to a breakout a bit farther down the pool, just as quickly (since limited by 4 beeps) as a turn that didn't take you as far. When I do that I can either save a stroke, or take the same number with less strain."
Old 02-06-2013

AWP

Quote:
What does this mean about turns?

"Trying to get to a breakout a bit farther down the pool, just as quickly (since limited by 4 beeps) as a turn that didn't take you as far. When I do that I can either save a stroke, or take the same number with less strain."

Moira,
I believe Terry is refering to distance traveled after pushing off of the wall til first hand entry/ stroke.
If you can develop this smoothly yet powerfully, taking care to 'relax' but keep taught the body you may benefit from traveling further down the lane to first hand entry (break out).
If when attempting this practice you find you haven't quite hit the wall the way you'd like or feel "gased", maybe then take the extra stroke or two on that length and "re-boot" on the way down and try again.
Fun stuff, takes loads of tries.

Cheers
Alan

Last edited by AWP : 02-09-2013 at 02:42 AM.