Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2009

aerogramma
Default How to manage drills with Easy Freestyle DVD?

hi,
I just got the Easy Freestyle DVD and I have question: How should I manage drills? I was expecting to see something like drill 1, drill 2 etc but I don't seem to find anything like that.

Should I just build my own drills from the positions illustrated on the DVD?

thanks for the help!

val
Old 11-12-2009

westyswoods

Good Morning Val

To answer your questtion, it depends on where you are along the journey to swimming the TI way. First and foremost are two critical pieces of the puzzle, balance and streamline. Without these you will struggle endlessly. I had swam for decades and never had any concept of either, now I am in the process of reprograming the neuromuscular system with both in mind. I also am not the most coordinated person in the world so it is taking a great deal of time.

Others get it quickly. Some who are learning to swim for the first time seem may have a much easier time than those who have many bad habits engrained. The key to the process is patience, patience, patience, patience. Advance at a pace where you feel comfortable with what you are working on. One of the critical pieces acquiring the skills in these drills is DO NOT practice or drill bad habits. If you feel like you are struggling or falling out of technique while drilling stop, refocus and start anew. This may well mean that you only move a few feet before stopping. But do not practice bad technique. (Realize though the difference between practicing bad technique and working through it.) The following is what I would suggest. These are based on the assumption you are very new to swimming.

1. Balance, back balance if possible find a spot in the pool where you can put your heels over the drain gutter or entry step then lean back relaxing with hands on the fronts of your thighs head in a neutral position. Just try to relax breath normally and let the water surround you. The water should touch the corners of your mouth and googles. Just relax practice this until your feel comfortable just laying there and letting the water support you. Feel your body and you will notice if there is tension and fear because this is a very vulnerable position.

2. Breathing start practicing yoga breaths and bobs. Bobs are when you inhale dip into the water exhaling while underwater and bobing up inhaling and going under exhaling coming up and repeating. When I first started my TI coach had me do one or the other between drill sets. It resets focus and gets rid of the CO2 build up.

3. Start with the superman glide. Get to a wall push off a asume the old Superman position. Relax and feel what your body does. This is where patience and repetitiveness enters. You may only get a few feet before your feet and hips start to sink. Go back and do it over and over. Focus on different areas like (hang your head into a neutral position let the water support it), lengthen your body from the tips of your toes to finger tips, relax. Even today after almost two years I will start my sessions with a half dozen of this drill. (Mind you I have never been called the sharpest knife in the drawr).

4. Pratice finding sweet spot, this can be done in conjunction with number 1. When balancing on back push off of wall and kick gently the momentum of the push will help immensly with your kick and propulsion. Let your head relax into the water try not to look up as this will drop your legs and lower body. Kick gently ( notice if you are kicking from the knees are core). Many of us developed or have a runners kick. This is not good, kick with a fairly stiff leg letting feet flick with power generated from the abdominal, butt area. Try not to break the surface of water with kick. If you find yourself slowing down, sinking or struglling stop refocus and start over.

5. If kicking is a problem you may want to add a session of vertical kicking to the beginning of each drills session. Go to the deep end with the aid of a flotation device practice the kicking motion upright. Focus being on straight legs keeping them together and generating power from core. Mind you this does not need to be a wild front back (or up down if horizontal) motion keep it tight. Also a word of caution in that do not over do this to begin with, 30-60 seconds gives you a feel to start. Build up your time as this can cause cramping of legs, hamstrings ...

I hope this helps get you started. You may be way past the points mentioned above. A few quick closing suggestions.
1. The mind does not allow for multiple focal point to be processed a one time.
2. Relaxation is a key.
3. It is all about balance and becoming one with the water not an easy task.
4. Be prepared for funny looks at the pool when drilling.
5. This is a journey with no quick fixes enjoy the struggles and view them as part of progress. We learn from them.
6. Use this forum it is invaluable you will find it can become addictive in a good way if you are intent on learning.

Enough for now welcome to the forum and TI Hope this helps

Westy
Old 11-12-2009

aerogramma
Default thanks!

Hello westy,
thanks for the great advice.

you are right I didn't give out enough background.

In short: I've been swimming since I can remember. I've heard about TI in London but at the time couldn't join any of the classes. While swimming I always try to better myself, pursuing a more efficient and effortless action.
So doing some reaserch I've bumped into TI again. Unfortunately right now I'm nowhere near a TI class, but hopefully with the DVD I'll make some progress in the right direction.

TI makes sense and looks exactly like I imagine i should swim :)

be well

v
Old 11-12-2009

elk-tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerogramma View Post
hi,
I just got the Easy Freestyle DVD and I have question: How should I manage drills? I was expecting to see something like drill 1, drill 2 etc but I don't seem to find anything like that.

thanks for the help!

val
I don't have the DVD here at work, but doesn't it have something very close to "drill 1, drill 2, etc."? i.e. from the DVD menu there are 8 sections. In each one Terry explains what will be done, describes what to do, and then does a review.
I've been treating each section as a day in the pool, as well as going back to previous drills for warm up or to fix whatever feels wrong on the day.
Old 11-17-2009

asbarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerogramma View Post
hi,

thanks for the help!

val
Go the the Total Immersion Home page. In the upper right, click on "Free Stuff." There you will find a .pdf file of a 33 page booklet Terry wrote to go with the Easy Free DVD. He discusses specifics about how much time to spend on each type of drill, depending upon where one is in one's journey. He also lists all the specific areas of focus. I have found it very helpful. Good luck!

Andrew
Old 11-17-2009

elskbrev
Default Total Immersion Freestyle Drills Cheat Sheet

Dear Val,

Try this: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcrng7xs_4hk45phf9. I found it in another post on this forum; don’t remember which one.

I think it is built around the earlier (2004) Freestyle Made Easy DVD rather than the 2008 Easy Freestyle DVD. Terry did make some changes as his own understanding of TI swimming grew. More about that in his blog at: http://www.totalimmersion.net/blog/H...than-ever.html.

You will have to compare the worksheet closely to the DVD you just got and make changes were applicable.

I treated the drills on the worksheet as progressive and circular—always advancing, but circling back to review prior skills. Some drills you will do every time you swim—starting in superman glide, for example. As for the rest, you might do drills 1-3 until mastered, then 2-5, then 3-6 and so on. (It doesn’t work specifically that way per the worksheet; just illustrating a method.)

I hope this is helpful.

Happy swimming,
Cindy
%%%><>

Last edited by elskbrev : 11-17-2009 at 01:19 AM.
Old 11-17-2009

ames

Cindy,

Thanks so much for that link! That is just what I needed. My focus tends to wander in the pool.

ames