Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2012

djean
Default need advice for breathing troubles AFTER my swim

i have started back swimming after being gone for a few years. within a week, an old problem has reared its head.

after a swim i feel a pressure on my chest and the need to take deep breaths. i yawn. for many years i thought this was due to lactic acid--that maybe i was swimming more anaerobically instead of aerobically. listening to my body, it didn't seem that way during the swim though. i thought maybe i was overtraining, but i don't know. i don't monitor my pulse in or out of the pool. i don't want to be distracted from thinking about my swim.

then i realized that i didn't have this problem when i ran (as a novice) or when i biked. this made me think that it has to do with my breathing. there have been long stretches of time that i was very satisfied with my breathing. it felt so natural--as though i could get my oxygen from the water. but then there were long times with the pressure and feeling that i needed to breathe more after a swim. this can go on for days. i asked about my problem on this forum many years ago but didn't get any responses that i was able to apply for a change.

what do you think is causing my problem? i don't think this has to do with my heart: i have had a couple of stress ekgs in the last 6 months.

also: do you have any suggestions for getting rid of this feeling once i have gotten it? it is very unpleasant.

do any of you walk after your swims? i wonder whether this would help.
i look forward to your diagnoses and suggestions.

i should have said earlier that i swim freestyle. i'm interested in long, slow distance. i tried masters swimming 1500m for a while but wasn't interested in competition. i wanted the trance state i sometimes got in when i didn't know where i was or who i was.

when i started back last week, i brought my finis snorkel for relaxation, balance and kicking drills. the snorkel still leaks, so i was having to blast the water out of it every lap. maybe that helped bring back my problem....

oh, i own 2 copies of "the science of swimming," but i own some of terry's books and videos too

Last edited by djean : 07-29-2012 at 05:52 PM. Reason: want to add more info
Old 07-29-2012

westyswoods

I would like to preface the following comments with, these are just thoughts and may be applicable.

The discomfort you have may be the residual effect of what is called stacking or the build up of CO2 in your body while swimming. This is quite common for swimmers as we have a tendency to hold our breath. I have never heard of it being the duration you describe, not to say it can't be. If you can get one try using a pulse oxy meter to check your O2 saturation post swims.

One thing you may try post swim prior to leaving the pool are bobs. Take a few minutes and do twenty to thirty bobs finding a very comfortable breathing zone. They should relax you and rid your system of nasty Co2 buildup.

Just some ideas, as I'm sure there will be many others

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 07-29-2012

mbruse
Default Maybe a doctor should give you advice

If you are feeling pressure and have had stress ekgs I suggest you have that conversation with your physician to be sure that your exercise program is consistent with your health status.
Old 07-30-2012

djean

over the years i have wondered about the co2. that's what i was trying to say when i said that i wondered whether i had been swimming more anaerobically than i thought. i don't hold my breath, but i do exhale forcefully at times. based upon what i have read here, it makes me suspicious.

i tried an oximeter when i went to weight train yesterday. i didn't think to try it until after my session. the percentage never rose above 96% even as my pulse slowed. i haven't been back to swim yet, but i think i will try an oximeter.

i have asked doctors about this phenomenon over the years and they haven't had any suggestions. but i think i will try asking again.

i did talk to my physician before i rejoined a gym and he was good with that. my ekg's had to do with having severe pneumonia in the spring and then when i rejoined the gym, which is really a cardiac rehab facility. i don't have any issues requiring rehab, but the facility has a pool and machines and is closest to my house. when i had pneumonia i had the ultimate stress test, and my heart was fine.

i have to go out today, so i think i will check the oximeter again. do sporting goods stores sell them?

i'll let you know what i find out from all these avenues. thank you for your ideas. they are all good ones.

jean
Old 07-30-2012

djean

this is a reasonable, safe suggestion. i did tell my doc about my plans to weight train. and i think i have asked him about the pressure feeling in the past. i may go back to him and try him again. with the greater availability of oximeters, he may have more data now. (he grabbed one when i finally went to him for what i thought was the flu but was really pneumonia.)

i'll let you know what i find out.