Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012

arunks
Default Video:Feedback Please

Hi all, I am posting my new video. Previously I had the problem of not spearing my right hand properly, used to scoot along the surface while spearing. I still see that the problem exists. The problem is sometimes i don't get the high elbow during recovery and the steeper angle of entry.
I practice the drills @ the beginning of sessions like Zenswitch, Underswitch, Overswitch.. I don’t see the problem then since I do it at a slow pace and I am more conscious, but when swimming there are times(ex when I take breath or swimming at higher tempo)I have this problem.
Also I see that when breathing I an turning my head a lot and my kick needs to improve.
Let me know your feedback and suggestions .

Link:http://youtu.be/R2xcnmPIwo4

Thanks

Arun

Last edited by arunks : 03-21-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-21-2012

andyinnorway

looking much better than late last year, well done on the improvements.

I think you are ready for some longer sets with technical work in the middle now. e.g. 4 x 200 then 4 x 100. Adding some stamina and muscle tone from the fitness sets will help your balance further. maybe.
Old 03-22-2012

arunks

Thanks Andy.I have been swimming laps but need to increase my endurance to swimming longer sets.Its improving.

Last edited by arunks : 03-22-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-22-2012

swimmermike

Hi Arunks

Thanks for submitting the tape.

I have a few things to suggest:

1. Try swinging your elbow more on recovery, rather than leading with your hand. It looks as though you are guiding your recovering hands, and holding them above water more than would be good for your entry.

2. Make your targets on wide tracks. It is hard to tell given the camera angle, but it looks as though your hands are hitting a midline target, especially the right one.

3. Practice some laser-lead drills, e.g., superman glide/flutter, keeping your head hanging and more aligned (vertically) with the perpendicular wall ahead of you. Right now your head is somewhat elevated, and more so on your breathing strokes.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-22-2012

grandall

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunks View Post
Hi all, I am posting my new video. Previously I had the problem of not spearing my right hand properly, used to scoot along the surface while spearing. I still see that the problem exists. The problem is sometimes i don't get the high elbow during recovery and the steeper angle of entry.
I practice the drills @ the beginning of sessions like Zenswitch, Underswitch, Overswitch.. I don’t see the problem then since I do it at a slow pace and I am more conscious, but when swimming there are times(ex when I take breath or swimming at higher tempo)I have this problem.
Also I see that when breathing I an turning my head a lot and my kick needs to improve.
Let me know your feedback and suggestions .

Link:http://youtu.be/R2xcnmPIwo4

Thanks

Arun
Hi Arun,

your video looks good..I'm not a coach just an actve TI enthusiast.

I had the same issue with the spearing hand. What helped me was to practice the Marionette Arm Recovery. Just learning to relax and turning off the arm and hand muscles was a great energy savings. With my recovery more relaxed my hand just seems to drop into the mail slot and with very little splashing.

When practing visualization is a great tool for learning. visualize that your hand and forearm are suspended like a " Marionette" from your elbow throughout your recovery.

Swim well to be well
Old 03-23-2012

arunks

Thank you Michael and George for the suggestions.As you rightly said I was making a conscious attempt to lead the hand for proper entry rather than relaxing and leading more with the elbow.Will work on it.Also hadn't given much thought on the head position, will also work on that and the wide hand entry.Thanks.
Old 03-23-2012

efdoucette

I'm a novice so not really in a position to give advice but to work on keeping the head down, try the nod drill. Terry and Suzanne (and probably others, my apologies) have described it in earlier threads and it is the tool for helping with head position while breathing.
Eric