Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Sounds like you experienced a higher level of 'transport' on that ferry ride. Out of curiosity, where did it take you - other than enlightenment of course?

Your practice was a great example of Block Practice. Unlike what Wayne Goldsmith's article suggests, it's not a binary proposition. You use both.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 12-14-2011

westyswoods
Default TT use outside the norm.

Terry,

These ideas are all evolutions of what I touched on last January in the Virgin Islands. The interest others have shown, reinvigorated my interest in the concept.

I actually went back and searched for all the various iterations of TT sets, to my surprise there were many more than I had expected. Much of it due to searching for that elusive tone suitable for my hearing.

The options and uses are limited only by the imagination. I used the ascending/descending tempos mentioned last summer while doing open water.

Let me state that in no way do I have any vested interest in the different products I mention. It is only after two years and many different brand names have I found the system I think works for me.

H2O Audio with non detachable earbuds. Ipod nano shuffle. I use the I pod nano which is waterproof and sold by Swimman in California. (This is not necessary with the case from H2O.) It is waterproof but the limitations for switching tracks are not feasible while swimming. The H2O audio attaches directly to the google strap short ear bud cords, permanently attached with easy to use buttons. The draw back is viewable screen to scroll through. There is a forward,back, pause plus volume control.

I would suggest anyone wanting to go this rout, shop online for a used shuffle to use only with swimming. I was in a Pawn Shop last week and they had many priced at around twenty dollars.
They also are the only company I have found with a large variety of interchangeable ear buds they stay in place for me. The beauty is the cord comes from the back of the strap and is short. If you wear a cap they can be a little more difficult, not insurmountable.

I started doing some reasearch for a good music production application. I use Mac and there are several but the one critical piece is the need for creating tempos in .01 seconds. It looks like they have developed some new software to allow this. I was told Logic Pro allows it, my problem is the learning curve and starting from zero. The cost I incurred with the initial production of what I have can not be justified going forward. Much can be learned, old saying,"Easier to save a dollar than earn one."

My hope is that in some way, for those who want to use an out of the box style of TT we can all come together in the development of a new innovative, and fun learning tool.

Suggestions, questions, comments please.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 12-14-2011

andyinnorway

I can make non commercial things in logic pro or similar quite easily and efficiently, if you have a single beat that you loop you simply change the tempo of the track each time you export the file, this would give you e.g. 5 minute beep tracks at different speeds.

we can discuss further if there is interest. I have ordered my h2o kit anyway
Old 12-14-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
Good thinking, mostly I could only use random mp3s as my rests are normally determined by other lane traffic.

i.e. if I am doing a fast 25m then I have to wait for runway clearance and similarly if I am doing a 100m set then i tend to wait for the others to approach me at the end of a 50 before setting off so that I have some time before having to overtake them again.

So what you are saying is that you are blistering fast compared to your lanemates? :)
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 12-14-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
If we create a library of good audio files, they could be available in the shop and could range from focal point instruction to various tempos to sets that went up and down etc.

I think the H2O waterproof casing with Ipod Shuffle inside could be a kaizen improvement on Tempo Trainer.@

I read through the first half of the talent code on a ferry yesterday and will probably never practice anything the same again. Even on the first day, I kept one focus point, holding SPL whilst decreasing SR, with multiple 25 repeats.

At the end of the hour I had taken a second off my best time for one length.

It reminds me of college days learning to ski on the small dry slope in Sheffield UK, Ski for 15 seconds, spend 3 minutes on the lift thinking about how to do the next run better, repeat for 2 hours.

I learnt more on that slope in a couple of sessions, than a week in the alps.
Fantastic!!! The ski slope I learned on as a kid was about 200 feet long. :)
Fresh Freestyle

Old 12-14-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Sometime I really love this forum. :)
Fresh Freestyle

Old 12-15-2011

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
Sounds like you experienced a higher level of 'transport' on that ferry ride. Out of curiosity, where did it take you - other than enlightenment of course?

Your practice was a great example of Block Practice. Unlike what Wayne Goldsmith's article suggests, it's not a binary proposition. You use both.
It was a fjord crossing to get from Norway to Sweden, nothing too enlightening.

Food is sweden is around 25% cheaper than Norway so worth a 2 hour trip for xmas shopping. Also and quite interestingly, so many Norwegians have started low carb diets that they have all gone back to butter instead of low fat spread.

This coupled with a milk shortage and xmas baking has meant a nationwide butter shortage of 30% or something (basically its sold out everywhere) which has all the bakers in total panic. They have plenty in Sweden but none of the shops seem to think it worthwhile to import.

Odd country sometimes.