Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2011

arunks
Default Radical thoughts and ideas

Found an interesting article titled "Five ideas that will change Swimming for ever". Click here. I especially liked the idea of working on the mental aspect which can have a huge influence on swimming. Also even to this day I see coaches working with swimmers who give a one size fits all plan to swimmers and this has to change. What are your views on these ideas.
Old 12-13-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Sound ideas, but not necessarily radical or new. I do subscribe to all. However he should give a different Heading to #2. Rather than "It's not all about technique, technique, technique," a more accurate header would be "Don't Drill Yourself into a Rut."

His site is worth linking to. I think I'll suggest a link exchange to him.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 12-13-2011

andyinnorway

ref his point about mixing up the drill sequence.

I was today thinking of a way to randomise focal points during a swim. I thought if I created 10 second mp3 files where I Spoke a specific focus point and then played them randomly, I would be rechanging my focus point every 10 seconds but would also have to have alertness as I wouldn't know what the next focus point would be.

I could also choose to give some handicap to more important focus points or specific areas of weakness by putting more of those mp3 files in the mix.

I guess its a bit like some of these online vocab trainers that provide random testing but repeat test vocab you are weak on.
Old 12-13-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
ref his point about mixing up the drill sequence.

I was today thinking of a way to randomise focal points during a swim. I thought if I created 10 second mp3 files where I Spoke a specific focus point and then played them randomly, I would be rechanging my focus point every 10 seconds but would also have to have alertness as I wouldn't know what the next focus point would be.

I could also choose to give some handicap to more important focus points or specific areas of weakness by putting more of those mp3 files in the mix.

I guess its a bit like some of these online vocab trainers that provide random testing but repeat test vocab you are weak on.
I think that's a clever idea...but I think 10 seconds is too short. If you randomize too soon, meaning too early in the progression or if each time slot is too short, you lose the learning benefit, like a tennis ball machine firing balls at you to quickly for you to hit. I would make the clips longer to start with, then gradually shorten them. It could just be a comment, then a 60 second pause or elevator music or whatever. I'd make them at least as long as it takes you to swim a 25
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 12-13-2011

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
I'd make them at least as long as it takes you to swim a 25
10 Seconds it is then :)

Oh no that would be world record pace nearly.

I did hold 14SPL at SR0.95 today for 10x25 which equals 15.8s, I was struggling to hold 17SPL at that stroke rate 8 weeks ago so very happy.
Old 12-13-2011

westyswoods
Default MP3 ideas

When trying to find a tone which would work for me, we played with TT of x beats per section then would start 15 seconds of music with a 3 beat count down for push off to start another round.

For simplistic purposes say your doing 25 meter sections.

TT set for 1.0 with 25 tones if you complete in 22 strokes with three beat push off you end up on 25, refocus music starts and you have x second break to think of what your focal point will be. On the thirteenth second of break a three beat countdown begins for pushoff of another section.

Whatever ones goals are for SPL and TT if you complete in less strokes than set you know immediately but if one hears the music prior to reaching the goal you automatically know something is falling apart,

The above can be formatted with many different options if using an MP3.

One of the options I plan on working with my producer is a wave like rise and fall of tempo through a period of time.

Example being Start at 1.4 and working down to 1.2 with incremental decreases of .02. This would amount to 10 tempo changes and the time for each could be static or fluid. The tone could be the same or at each shift the tone could change. To work through this would be a ten minute swim, if you wanted to go back to 1.4 it would add another ten.

Then beauty of something like this is for those of you who are capable (I am not there yet) there is no stopping to adjust tempo and you still have the ability to check SPL at different points in the process.

Ton of possibilities, guess I need to start learning how to use music production programing.

Hope the above makes sense

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 12-14-2011

andyinnorway

Good thinking, mostly I could only use random mp3s as my rests are normally determined by other lane traffic.

i.e. if I am doing a fast 25m then I have to wait for runway clearance and similarly if I am doing a 100m set then i tend to wait for the others to approach me at the end of a 50 before setting off so that I have some time before having to overtake them again.
Old 12-14-2011
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
I think that's a clever idea...but I think 10 seconds is too short. I'd make them at least as long as it takes you to swim a 25
I absolutely agree. The principle raised here is how to balance two important forms of practice - Block and Random.
Block Practice is essential for:
1) acquainting yourself with a new mini-skill
2) wiring it more deeply into muscle memory
3) exploring its nuances and refining it.

Random Practice is valuable for:
1) moving it from working memory (cerebral cortex) to long-term (cerebellum). You do that by learning to execute it accurately when alternating it with other points of focus at higher frequency.
2) 'wiring it together' with one or more related mini-skills. You do that by trying to think both thoughts at the same time.

Your guidance system for this is recognizing when you're practicing struggle - in this case struggling to maintain mental acuity as well as physical flow.

A practice plan for memorizing and integrating two related mini-skills, labeled A and B, might look like the following:
A-A-A-A
B-B-B-B
A-A-A
B-B-B
A-A
B-B
A-B-A-B-A-B
[AB]-[AB]-[AB]
The process outlined above doesn't represent a single practice. Rather it typically takes dozens of hours to get from A-A-A-A/B-B-B-B to [AB]-[AB]-[AB]

To swim like Shinji, you could EASILY repeat that process with an entire 26-letter 'alphabet' of mini-skills.

I know. I've been doing it for years. I can clearly recall the very first time I chose a TI mini-skill/focal point, which was neutral head position. For somewhere between 3 and 6 months in 1991 or so, after I realized I needed to unwire/rewire 25 years of head-held-high muscle memory, most hour-long practice sessions looked like this: A-A-A-A . . . A-A-A-A

Today - mebbe 5000 hours of practice later - most of my practice could be represented by [ABC] [BCD] [CDE] etc.
The key thing is that since I got started on those 5000 hours, 20-odd years ago, I can honestly say there hasn't been a single lap where my mind was blank. Choosing a Focal Point is as much a habit now as Swimming with a Weightless Head.

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 12-14-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-14-2011
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by westyswoods View Post
When trying to find a tone which would work for me, we played with TT of x beats per section then would start 15 seconds of music with a 3 beat count down for push off to start another round.

For simplistic purposes say your doing 25 meter sections.

TT set for 1.0 with 25 tones if you complete in 22 strokes with three beat push off you end up on 25, refocus music starts and you have x second break to think of what your focal point will be. On the thirteenth second of break a three beat countdown begins for pushoff of another section.
This is one of the most intriguing and creative ideas I've ever read on this Forum.

My TI Story
Old 12-14-2011

andyinnorway

If we create a library of good audio files, they could be available in the shop and could range from focal point instruction to various tempos to sets that went up and down etc.

I think the H2O waterproof casing with Ipod Shuffle inside could be a kaizen improvement on Tempo Trainer.@

I read through the first half of the talent code on a ferry yesterday and will probably never practice anything the same again. Even on the first day, I kept one focus point, holding SPL whilst decreasing SR, with multiple 25 repeats.

At the end of the hour I had taken a second off my best time for one length.

It reminds me of college days learning to ski on the small dry slope in Sheffield UK, Ski for 15 seconds, spend 3 minutes on the lift thinking about how to do the next run better, repeat for 2 hours.

I learnt more on that slope in a couple of sessions, than a week in the alps.