Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2011

haschu33

I don't mind the engagement, the experience, the knowledge etc of the swimsmooth website. On the contrary. What puts me off is the attitude.

I have two accents on the exhale when breathing every three strokes but I don't know if I am supposed to ;-)
Old 12-08-2011

arunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
http://www.swimsmooth.com/exhalation_adv.html

At the end of the article he recommends a sink down exercise and suggests that the exhalation rate we need to swim relaxed freestyle is the same as that required to perform the sink downs?
Thanks for posting this.I too tried this exercise really did not sink, unless i pushed myself applying external force.Will try again and see how this goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
Men and women have different sized lungs, how does this effect our respective breathing in swimming. Should men be exhaling 25% faster, do more men struggle with good breathing than women/children?
Found a scientific study related to lung capacity..(not specific with swimming) Conclusion is
"The results from this study indicate that the pulmonary system of endurance-trained females may be at a disadvantage compared to their male counterparts during intense exercise. We demonstrated that female athletes tend to develop expiratory flow limitation more frequently than male athletes. It was also observed that women have higher relative increases in end-expiratory lung volume and end-inspiratory lung volume at maximal exercise. Finally, women tend to have a higher work of breathing across a wide range of ventilations during exercise compared to men."

Last edited by arunks : 12-08-2011 at 01:46 PM.