Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2011

Alex-SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoner View Post
.....The drills are great, but again, learning how to breath and not building up CO2 was by far the most important skill I had to figure out....
Zoner,
You are 100% right however there are swimmers out there (and I saw one recently with an ironman hat on) who have wonderful stamina and breathing. They can do a MILE non-stop but their SPL is 28-30 (I counted) and a SR=0.7.
Can you imagine the amount of energy wasted for someone who then has to jump on a bike and run?
I am sure that a Terry/Shinji/Dave swim faster than him with a totally relaxed swim at SR=1.50 !

This is why I was suggesting to improve the technique first and then fix the breathing.

Again you are 100% right, in fact I am sure that most people who are fit, have a decent technique and cannot swim past 100m can blame CO2 build up.

ALEX
Old 11-19-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoner View Post
TI swimming is awesome once you learn to not build up CO2! Good luck....you WILL get there.
Great point, Zoner. And the key to avoiding buildup of CO2 is to emphasize your exhale. Inhale can be matter-of-fact.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 12-03-2011

arunks
Default Exhaling pattern in water

I had been practicing on cutting my SPL on 25 m from 23 to 20 and I am able to cut it down but on the 50 m length I am still finding it very difficult to complete it probably because of how I exhale, as Zoner mentioned.I have heard that the way to breathe is to slowly release air and to do a fast release before going to breath, I am trying the same but i feel the built of CO2 every time i am trying for the larger distance.Are there other breathing patterns which I can work on.I was wondering how people can swim for long distances like 1K, 5K, 10K.. and have an efficient way to breathe.Has this got to do with the lung factor?.How can I come out of this problem?Suggestions please.

Last edited by arunks : 12-03-2011 at 04:29 AM.
Old 12-03-2011

Alex-SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunks View Post
I had been practicing on cutting my SPL on 25 m from 23 to 20 and I am able to cut it down but on the 50 m length I am still finding it very difficult to complete....
Hi Arunks,
Again I would break down the problem into 2:
1. Stroke Technique
2. Breathing Technique.

Do you have the same SPL for the 1st and 2nd 25m half?
Do you feel your stroke is totally falling apart in the 2nd 25m.... or do you feel your SPL and stroke technique are similar?
When you catch your breath, do you feel you have enough time to inhale or do you feel your stroke/head position does not give you enough time to inhale?

Let's take the simple case 2. (Good Stroke technique, problem is 100% on breathing). CO2 build up must be the reason but there could be something else: low breathing frequency. I used to stroke very slowly, SR=1.8-2.0 and breath bilaterally. That means 1 breath every 6 seconds which is clearly not enough. Since then I swim on 1 side at SR=1.4 (1 breath every 2.8sec)

Let's say case 1.
If on the other hand your stroke falls apart after the first 25, let's say that your muscles get tired, your hips sink, you head lifts to air...you lose your balance so start kicking harder.... may be you even start rotating your arms faster as a result of all this.
In other words let's say that you have an SPL=20 for the first 25m and SPL=24-26 for the 2nd 25... then you need to focus on building stroke endurance.
This was happening to me. I noticed that the TT (Tempo Trainer) forces me to maintain the exact same stroke rate and I can focus on keeping the head down.

SOLUTIONS:
If you are comfortable with your technique, focus on breathing. Take a Tempo Trainer and before each lap do some inhale/exhale exercises at the TT tempo. For example, set it to SR=1.50. Keep in mind that each BEEP is supposed to be a hand entry so you should go as follows:
Inhale
BEEP 1: Right Hand Entry (Exhale)
BEEP 2: Left Hand Entry (Exhale)
Inhale
BEEP 3: Right Hand Entry (Exhale)
BEEP 4: Left Hand Entry (Exhale)
Do this for 2minutes, and then swim the LAP by focusing 100% on the same breathing pattern.

Let us know how you go. As previously said, measure your current SR (Stroke Rate) and make sure it is at least faster than SR=1.50.

ALEX
Old 12-03-2011

arunks

Thank You Alex for the reply.I have not checked for the 2nd half of 25m but I think its the same.Will look into it.Also I breathe every 3 strokes so that I can maintain bilateral breathing.I will try changing the breathing frequency and see how this comes out.Will work on your suggestions.Thanks a lot..
Old 12-03-2011

TomH

Arunks,

You can still maintain even breathing pattern by breathing only to the left side for one length, and then only to the right side for the next length. When I started out with TI, I tried bilateral breathing every 3rd stroke. I would get out of breath when I tried to swim fast. I then switched over to breathing every 2nd stroke, switching my breathing to the opposite side every 5 to 10 strokes. The more frequent breathing helped me feel like I was getting enough O2. I still breath every 3rd stroke when I am swimming slowly, such as for a warm up or cool down.
Old 12-03-2011

Alex-SG

My goal is also to breathe every 3 (Bilateral) because I find it more elegant and gives a more symmetric stroke. But that also reduces breathing frequency so it requires good training/stamina. SO realistically speaking I have to go every 2 for distances >100m. As highlighted by Terry some time ago, it also depends on AGE:

"At age 30 I could breathe every 5 or 7 strokes - if necessary. At age 40 I could breathe every 4 strokes - if necessary.
Nine months short of age 60 I can breathe every 3 strokes in the pool if I stay very relaxed. If I add any effort I need to breathe every 2.
I pretty religiously breathe to the right on odd lengths and the left on even lengths."
See: Here.

ALEX
Old 12-03-2011

Agent42

This is quite interresting. I've watched a lot videos online of swimmers breathing every 2nd stroke. I've tried to do swimms like that and I always feel like I go more out of breath that way. I was trying it after reading something about a "chocolate" side, but I've now decided against messing with my BE3rdS. BE2ndS is just too little time to use the O2 I get.
Old 12-03-2011

arunks
Default Diaphragmatic Breathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent42 View Post
This is quite interresting. I've watched a lot videos online of swimmers breathing every 2nd stroke. I've tried to do swimms like that and I always feel like I go more out of breath that way. I was trying it after reading something about a "chocolate" side, but I've now decided against messing with my BE3rdS. BE2ndS is just too little time to use the O2 I get.
Probably the secret lies in blowing out all the air before going for breath.Also found an interesting article(Click here)about diaphragmatic breathing in swimming, so very pranayamic.Never really focused on this while breathing in swimming. Don't know if this is the one of the missing parts of the puzzle.

Last edited by arunks : 12-03-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-06-2011

arunks
Default Practice Sets to get used to swimming 50m..

I swim in a pool with dimensions of(50m*23m).I am still finding it difficult to swim 50m at a stretch easily but can do many laps of 23m(although the rest interval is more than 1min). Before buying the TT I observed that I was swimming in the TT range of 1.0-1.1.After buying the TT I am still trying to find my comfortable range, currently finding it easy in the ranges of 1.35-1.45 where I have seen reductions in my SPL from 23 to (17-20). Also I used to breathe every 3 stroke now I breathing every 2 strokes, this also helped me. Now given all this, if I have to practice for lengths of 50m continuously how should I progress. What are your suggestions on the practice sets given the dimensions of the pool, what should be the rest intervals while swimming 23m length..
Welcome all your suggestions.Thanks.

Arun

Last edited by arunks : 12-06-2011 at 04:06 PM.