Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2011

arunks
Default Need advice on doing 50m freestyle

Hi All,

I am a newbie in TI.After nearly 4months I think I am able to do several laps of 25 m with a pause for 2-3 min between laps with Ok form, but when I do 50 m, I feel somewhere midway through I am not able to continue either due to loss of form, lack of breath.. I go to sweetspot and start again.
Any suggestions on how to complete the 50 m without stoppage and discomfort.

Thanks
Arun

Last edited by arunks : 11-18-2011 at 06:19 AM.
Old 11-18-2011

tomoy

My usual thoughts at this stage are to relax, slow down, ignore how you must think you look. Let me go find a similar thread I remember another swimmer posted from this summer.

Relax every muscle, shoulders, wrists, hands, neck. Think more about gliding like a long-hulled sailboat, and less about pulling yourself forward. Remove all the images you have of fast swimmers, or how you want to look. You'll get there in 6 months or so. But the more you focus on the smooth technique, minimize the noise in your stroke and kick, the less tension your muscles will exert and the less blood, oxygen and air you'll need.

Once you can swim slowly, non-stop for say 400Y, then you can turn your mind to moving faster.

-- ah, here we go... get something to drink, get comfortable, it's 20 page thread! Full of good advice from many who have been exactly where you are today. --
http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/...ead.php?t=2275

Last edited by tomoy : 11-18-2011 at 07:15 AM. Reason: including referring link
Old 11-18-2011

Alex-SG

Hello Arun,

I think the fundamental question is: how is your technique right now?
Are you Balanced? Are you streamlined? Do you have a coordinated stroke propelling you forward?

A simple question would be what is your SPL (Strokes Per Lenght, 25m) and at what Stroke Rate (SR).

If you say SPL<20 then I'd say it could be a breathing technique problem
If you say SPL>25-30 then you really have to fix your technique with DRILLS before worrying about swimming a longer distance

Let us know. ALEX
Old 11-18-2011

arunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoy View Post
But the more you focus on the smooth technique, minimize the noise in your stroke and kick, the less tension your muscles will exert and the less blood, oxygen and air you'll need.

Once you can swim slowly, non-stop for say 400Y, then you can turn your mind to moving faster.
Thanks Tomoy for the inputs..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-SG View Post
Hello Arun,

I think the fundamental question is: how is your technique right now?
Are you Balanced? Are you streamlined? Do you have a coordinated stroke propelling you forward?

A simple question would be what is your SPL (Strokes Per Lenght, 25m) and at what Stroke Rate (SR).

If you say SPL<20 then I'd say it could be a breathing technique problem
If you say SPL>25-30 then you really have to fix your technique with DRILLS before worrying about swimming a longer distance

Let us know. ALEX
Hi Alex, Thanks for the inputs.I think my technique has improved since i started.My balance and streamline have improved. I see that my SPL is around 23-24 although I am trying to lessen it.(My height is 5'8'').I see that I have improved on my breathing, although at the end of the 25m lap I still feel a bit breathless.
So as you say I probably need to improve on my technique..
When you say "fix your technique with DRILLS", how should the training practice be to assess yourself, because for the past few months I have been doing drills ..
Also I am purchasing the Tempo Trainer today.Let me know how to use the TT to find the optimal SL or SR? Thanks Arun.

Last edited by arunks : 11-18-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-18-2011

Alex-SG

Hello Arun,

SPL=24-25 can be improved to SPL=17-20 (Terry's suggested SPL range for people your height).

I personally lowered my SPL to 15 without being able to swim over 25m.

One useful thing you can do now is measure your STROKE RATE even before the Tempo Trainer arrives. Ask someone to time how much time it takes to swim 20 strokes and then divide by 20. First hand entry is 0 (start), second hand entry is 1..... all the way to counting 20.

So if it takes exactly 30 seconds for 20 strokes.... your stroke rate is SR=1.50 which is good when you are working on technique (slow enough to focus on technique, fast enough to avoid a complete loss of speed+balance).

When I decide by TRAINING SESSION is on "Balance", I like to work on the following routine...

DRILL: 2 x 25m of Superman Glide/flutter
DRILL: 4 x 25m of Skating
DRILL -> SWIM: 1x25m Skating + 1x25m Swimming coming back
REPEAT this DRILL->SWIM part 5 times.

The idea is to transfer the Skating feeling to the Full stroke. When you swim Freestyle, you must feel you are in the exact same position you felt in the skating drill.

The fun thing is to count strokes after this short workout. If you drop SPL by 2 it really means that the balance drill has momentarily helped your balance.

Over time your balance will become good and the difference in SPL before the Drill and after the drill will be the same.

By the way, the balance session is very important to me.
I also enjoy doing the same work out replacing the skating drill with the spear-switching drill. That helps in in another area: to synchronize movements to improve timing + propulsion.

Let us know how you go. ALEX
Old 11-18-2011

andyinnorway

If you find the TT hard to hold tempo with then I would suggest putting it on double time so that you have two beeps per stroke.

Another easy way to get further distance is to try some open water swimming (preferably with a buoyant wet suit or at least a training partner for safety)

Then instead of worrying about walls or lengths, you can simply relax and see how many breathes you can take before needing to rest.

I did this a lot over the summer and it really helped.
Old 11-18-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-SG View Post
DRILL: 2 x 25m of Superman Glide/flutter
DRILL: 4 x 25m of Skating
DRILL -> SWIM: 1x25m Skating + 1x25m Swimming coming back
REPEAT this DRILL->SWIM part 5 times.

The idea is to transfer the Skating feeling to the Full stroke. When you swim Freestyle, you must feel you are in the exact same position you felt in the skating drill.
Alex
Great advice. It seems clear to me that you are ready to enter training as a TI Coach. I hope you will consider doing so in the not-too-distant future.

I would offer a small modification of Alex's advice.
Rather than 25m repeats of SG or Skate, I would recommend much shorter repeats with more frequent alternation of drill with whole stroke.
Here's a brief sample series
4 x 8m SG (or however far you travel in one glide without kicking or needing to breathe. Glide away from the wall. Glide back to the wall) Focus only on weightless head.
2 to 4 x 25m Swim. Focus only on weightless head.

Or Glide 8m with Weightless Head. Stand for a breather. Then swim the remaining 17m with focus on Weightless Head. Repeat 4 or more times.

Repeat that series with one or two other Focal Points.

Then move on to Skate

4 x 8-10m SG to Skate. Odd repeats to Right Skate. Even repeats to Left Skate. Choose a Focal Point
Swim 2 to 4 x 25m with same Focal Point. Start each 25 Swim with SG to Skate. Pause for a nanosecond in Skate, then begin swimming.

Repeat 3 or more times each time with new Focal Point.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 11-18-2011

Alex-SG

Terry,

You are absolutely right. It is better to do shorter distance within the same lap to properly transfer the feeling from drill to freestyle.

I noticed that when I cover the entire LAP with a drill, I then have a tendency to stop for some rest. This certainly does not help the transfer.

TI Coach? I'd love to... After reading the TI book, watching 3 DVDs, reading the TI Forum on a daily basis.... YES from a theoretical standpoint. I just need to focus on putting all this knowledge into practice now :).... ALEX

Last edited by Alex-SG : 11-18-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-19-2011

arunks

Thank you Alex, Terry and others for the advices.
I feel so grateful to have found TI and people like you who have helped me in this path.
Will work on the suggestions and update on the progress.
Thanks.
Arun
Old 11-19-2011

Zoner

Hi, I have a different take on the things to work on. In my experience, when I was out of breath, I hadn't gotten to the point of understanding the whole breathing technique. A little bit lower body position in the water hurts, sure, but not to the point of not getting past 1 lap. The drills are great, but again, learning how to breath and not building up CO2 was by far the most important skill I had to figure out.

Everybody does it a little differently but until you get all the air out before your inhale, its my opinion you'll tire. The key is to start exhaling as soon after you inhale because you're face should already be back in the water. As you're rotating with the pulling arm to air, blast the rest out....all of it. I do it through my nose. The inhale will almost happen automatically. As you get better and feel more confident in the water, your timing will improve.

I struggled for 3 months/ 5 days a week until I put most everything else to the side and only worked on finding how to breathe. I was there sitting at the end of the lap lane in the corner of the pool catching my breath every lap 3 months ago. Then I finally got it and off I went. And then an odd thing happened. I was vacationing in Florida ready to get in the ocean and see what would happen. I was shocked when I kept going, no walls, no crutches. It gave me tons of confidence. I came home and proceeded to do 72 laps, then 108 laps and today 126 laps. Its almost hard to imagine. But its because of the breathing. I'll concentrate on getting faster now. TI swimming is awesome once you learn to not build up CO2! Good luck....you WILL get there.