Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2011

arunks

Thank you very much for the inputs.Will work on the suggestions given.I feel when I do ZenSwithes drills and skate at just enough rotation, I have a relaxed recovery and the switch goes well. But when I try overswitches or freestyle, the same forearm and hand is supposed to clear the water surface, that where its goes awry with over-rotation.How to lead with the elbow and have the hand a bit higher than in the drill and still maintain the high elbow and straight line.

Last edited by arunks : 10-01-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-03-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunks View Post
What I observed was that when I am doing the drag(as in zipper switch) I see that the elbows are wide but when I take the hands out of water, just before entry, the elbow is moving toward the midline(looks stacked) and then the crossed wrist action. Is this the problem? How to make the elbows move in the same line for a wider hand entry ? What are your suggestions for correcting it?

How to get the hands deliberately moving wider for entry in the above case mentioned?Are ther specific drills to work on?
I havn't read the other replies, so they may have mentione dthis. You do look much better. The swing wiht your wrist in the water looks good. My suggestion is to spear while wrists are in the water. when you pick the wrist up out of the water, old habits are returning and you are "picking up" the elbow and putting your hand right back where you used to have it (well, closer anyway).

Practice the swing switch leaving the wrists in the water, then slowly progress to just dragging the knuckles and then finger tips on the surface of the water. The angle of the elbow & position of the wide entry should change minimally.

You must practice this until it feels like it is the new natural movement. Only then should you worry about doing an "ear hop" where you pick the fingertips out of thew ater before entry again.

A few other thoughts:
-let your arm fall into the water, rather than forcing it in. Use gravity to simply pull the arm into spear and shift your weight from the side that's down to the side that's coming down. That's why it's called perpetual motion...use gravity to move forward

-Try doing 2 or 3 spear swithes in a row without rolling to sweet spot. I can see that as soon as you begin your spear you are already thinking about rolling to air. You are ready to begin putting together 2 or 3 swing switches at a time to move closer to whole stroke swimming.

Great work.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 10-05-2011

arunks

Thank you Susanne for your inputs.I will work on the suggestions given and will update on the progress.