Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2011

arunks
Default Freestyle- Hand Release at the end of stroke and hand entry

Hello all. I have been practicing TI since 3 months. I have attached a video while I was training recently. The link is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k36w92Fxylt

I see that my hand entry, release are not proper. (Let me know what other faults exist). I see that I am getting my fingers, a bit crossed while releasing the hand from water and I am not spearing hands in water properly. I don’t know why this is happening? How to rectify this?

I have tried ear hops and get the feeling that it is right but, I can now see that it is not coming proper.Is there any kind of sensory feedback so that I can judge whether I am getting the hand release and entry properly.

I welcome your suggestions and comments.Thank you.

Last edited by arunks : 11-13-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-22-2011

tomoy

Thanks for posting the video - I'm probably not the right person to address this, but from another beginner's viewpoint, it seems like your fingers and spearing are the least of your worries. The first thing that jumps out at me is the lack of calm, or patience in your stroke. The huffing and puffing in your breathing shows that you're attacking the water a bit too much.

What are ear hops?

Anyway, regarding entry, if you lift your elbow out of the water beside your waist, and let your wrist and hand relax completely, let them dangle, then move your elbow forward as far as you can before your fingers touch the water in front of your shoulder, still keeping your wrist and hand limp, then your hand and fingers will be just fine when you spear them into the water: relaxed and facing downward. I've read that flattening the hand and entering the water can reduce resistance and prepare you for a better catch, but I think you should concentrate on relaxing more, so just let the relaxed hand break the water for you.

... and spear more deeply... :-)

Concentrate more on just technique, worry less about speed. The details are what prevents you from moving through the water faster. It's not the energy you expend that makes you go faster... at this point at least.

Last edited by tomoy : 09-22-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-23-2011

daveblt

You are slapping the water on entry , entering too narrow, and spearing into the water too high . The first thing you need to do is relax more and slow down your stroke . Enter the water as if you were slipping your arm into a coat sleeve and widen out so your arm enters in front of the shoulder . Reach down a bit more on entry . Remember hand below elbow and elbow below the shoulder .

Dave
Old 09-23-2011

arunks

Thank you for your advice and suggestions.I will try to improve for a relaxed stroke(including a proper hand entry). Thanks.
Old 09-24-2011

arunks
Default Tried Zipper and Over Switches to get proper hand release and relaxed Hand entry

As suggested, I was trying the Zipper and Overswitches to have a relaxed recovery and a proper Hand entry.I have attached the videos of these over here.

ZipperSwitch- http://youtu.be/Lbxbb7Io8U0
OverSwitch- http://youtu.be/Ikp0OPtOA30

What I observed in the overswitches was that i was crossing my fingers as if for a thumb hand entry and then flattening hands before entering.

Why is it happening? How can I correct this? Apart from these do you see anything else that i need to improve on? I welcome your suggestions and comments.

Thank you.

Last edited by arunks : 01-09-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-25-2011

tomoy

I'm impressed by your dedication to improving! I'll keep my comments on this thread rather than the other, because it's where I first responded. The drills look like an improvement. Your balance looks a little better, and your timing is slower.

Specific to your question, I think the hand position your getting on entry is caused by two things. 1: rotating too much, 2: spearing to the wrong place.

1: I think in the other thread someone commented on rotating too much. Instead of rotating your body fully sideways, you want to go about half way. So 45º instead of 90º. Let's try geometry! Try to lift your right elbow out of the water about 6" further to the right, and your left elbow about 6" further to the left. Try to keep the angle between your forearm and your upper arm somewhere between 45º and of 90º. Right now its very acute, ~15-25º. This shouldn't be an effort. If you rotate your core body less, and make sure to keep your elbow a little further out, relaxing your wrist and hand will give you the right angle. But you're rotating to where your elbow is directly over the axis of your body, like a shark fin, so your relaxed hand is pointing straight back down, and that's what sets up the incorrect entry.

2: Spend some more time skating and spear-skate switching or whatever it's called (sorry, I'm no pro!). If possible post video of that. Your forward hand should stay on that side of your body... not in front of your head, but in front of your shoulder, and lower in the water: at least 9" down, maybe 12" or more for you right now. If you imagine the line shooting out your spine-head forward would be, you should find that your right index finger is at least 4-6" to the right side of that point. Similarly to the left, when your left arm/hand leads. So work the proper hand position so your body is balanced in the water, and your head is fully relaxed, but not too submerged. Then memorize where your hand is. When you move from 1 to 2 (recovery to spear) you should find that a relaxed hand will enter just fine.

Entering thumb-first is not a crime... but it's a pointer to some other things that are going on. Watch this, and notice the angle of his forearm to upper arm... it's a nice 90º 'L' shape: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGlqsO_-8SM .

This is more 'normal' though not a typical 'TI' technique (shallow spear entry): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfh3gB9iM_Q&NR=1 .

This isn't ideal, but a good exercise for understanding the range of motion and options you have: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2U9lFGR0gM&NR=1 .

Keep up the good work!
Old 09-25-2011

arunks

Hi Tomoy,

Thank you very much for your advice.I will work on the points you mentioned. Regarding the 2nd point about spearing hand into water, during single switches,I feel that the spearing action leads the arm to the correct spot.But during multiswitches, as seen in my videos, the spearing is not proper.In fact i am not aware of the lead hand reaching the right spot(As in the skating drill), after entering water, during multiple switches or whole stroke.How to create more awareness after entry.Also will the solution to overrotation ease this problem?What is your suggestion?

Thank you.

Last edited by arunks : 09-26-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old 09-26-2011

tomoy

Concentrate :-) It's much like Yoga. You have to be aware of what it feels like yourself. There's no trick to that other than focusing your mind on what you want your body to do. You're fortunate you have someone to capture your progress on video. Keep studying that, and comparing it to other TI videos. Then work on fixing the places where you're different.

You're doing just fine. It may take 6 more months to feel like you're crossing the pool well. Maybe faster. Everyone's different. It took me 3 years to get to a point of comfort in the water where I really look forward to getting back in next. When I started TI swimming I could barely do 50M without stopping to catch my breath for 2 minutes. Now I'm at about 2400M per workout. Most of my progress came in the last 9 months since getting the DVD's :-)
Old 09-28-2011

arunks

Hi Tomoy and others,
I appreciate the suggestions and comments given on this thread. I have uploaded the videos after trying to make the changes as was suggested, in the thread titled "How to have the right hand position before hand entry? ".Please post your comments over there so that discussions can take place on a single thread.Thank You.

Last edited by arunks : 09-28-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-07-2011

wisswim

Your right hand ends up in front of your face at the end of extension. You want it in front of your shoulder (out more to the side).

Also, you don't want to start pulling before you start spearing. Pulling and spearing start at (approximately) the same time, as happens in switch drills.