Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2011

arunks
Default Catch and recovery coordination

I found that the coordination between the recovery and the catch is indeed quite an exacting skill in itself. As shown in the attached picture the swimmer is able to coordinate the early initiation of the catch with a really good recovery. My recovery was going wrong because I was not able to coordinate this very well. I am practicing this and is getting a lot better, it really tests your balance and i felt the contraction in the traps and the shoulder blade area when doing this.
Also read about the lateral instability (in another post) due to body rotation coupled with the high elbow catch makes getting the elbow led recovery not so easy to do.
Any tips on improving the coordination of the high elbow recovery and the high elbow catch.
All inputs appreciated.
Thanks
Arun
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic3.jpg (63.1 KB, 45 views)
Old 12-18-2011

DD_l_enclume

I watched a video yesterday about this on goswim.

http://www.goswim.tv/entries/6325/fr...ater-free.html

The still at 0:55 shows clearly the relation between the recovering arm and the catching arm.

I tried and:
-On the cons side, I felt like windmilling, and having a pretty high SPL.
-On the pro side, I never my lats work so much, and I felt that I was more rythmic (windmilling effect I guess).
I'll try again.

(Not sure whether that video could be part of the TI program, but I'm open minded, so I'm reading everything I can, and sharing it)
Old 12-18-2011

arunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD_l_enclume View Post

The still at 0:55 shows clearly the relation between the recovering arm and the catching arm.

I tried and:
-On the pro side, I never my lats work so much, and I felt that I was more rythmic (windmilling effect I guess).
I'll try again.

(Not sure whether that video could be part of the TI program, but I'm open minded, so I'm reading everything I can, and sharing it)
Nice one.Will try this..
Old 12-18-2011

Alex-SG
Default Spear Switch

I just find the SPEAR-SWITCH drill (especially with close fists) the best way to achieve this coordination.

You really need to make sure the timing is good: when the fist reaches the other elbow, the pull starts.

What is exciting is that at first you barely move...
as you get it right, the coordination happens in the switch. The 2BK, hip rotation, catch/pull all happen at the right time and you move forward nicely.
Old 12-18-2011

arunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-SG View Post
I just find the SPEAR-SWITCH drill (especially with close fists) the best way to achieve this coordination.

You really need to make sure the timing is good: when the fist reaches the other elbow, the pull starts.

What is exciting is that at first you barely move...
as you get it right, the coordination happens in the switch. The 2BK, hip rotation, catch/pull all happen at the right time and you move forward nicely.
I am working with the spear switch drills to improve the coordination.Will try with the closed fists.
Old 12-18-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD_l_enclume View Post

I tried and:
I'll try again.

This drill does not show the same timing that TI teaches, and is pretty much not consistent with TI. Not that it's wrong, it's just a diffeernt style.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 12-18-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunks View Post
Nice one.Will try this..

I don't htink this is a good one for you. Continue with spear switch & Swing switch.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 12-19-2011

swimmermike

Arun

I would just add that in the thumbnail of your first message--that looks like a pretty good recovery, but the swimmer's right arm is spending most of its time above water--she (I think it's a she) will not break the surface for another moment, and there will be little time for the spear/rotation. She should be using a mail-slot (more vertical) entry, which would allow most of the extension of her spearing (right) arm to occur below the surface. This would be a better use of energy from rotation and weight shift. And it is more "silent" as well.

Michael