Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2011

arunks
Default Recovery during breathing

Today while I was practicing I felt that while I was going for my breath my recovery happens fast and is not elbow led rather I am swinging my hand to spear it into the water. How to ensure the elbow led recovery when going for a breath? I welcome all your suggestions.

Arun

Last edited by arunks : 11-17-2011 at 05:08 AM.
Old 11-18-2011

daveblt

Do you actually mean you are leading with the hand and not the elbow ? Try this , as you begin your recovery make sure your fingers are loose and relaxed and just barely over the surface but have the feeling of your fingertips pointed down or even just back slightly throughout the first half of the recovery . And don't forget a circular recovery and not cramped.

Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 11-18-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-18-2011

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunks View Post
Today while I was practicing I felt that while I was going for my breath my recovery happens fast and is not elbow led rather I am swinging my hand to spear it into the water. How to ensure the elbow led recovery when going for a breath?
Watch Shinji pull his hand out of his 'pocket' ... which all but ensures a high-elbow recovery. There are certainly variations on this, some not as pronounced, but the visualization here is especially clear.
Take your breath just as the arm begins recovery. Do not overly crank the neck and try to keep one goggle just under the water line. Test tucking the chin slightly, with lips forming a 'Popeye-mouth.'

Last edited by borate : 11-18-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Old 11-18-2011

arunks

Thank you Dave, Borate.I feel during recovery my fingers are fairly high from the water surface. I think I now have fairly relaxed hands, will work on keeping the fingers close to surface and leading with the circular motion.Will work on the suggestionsThanks.

Arun

Last edited by arunks : 11-18-2011 at 01:20 AM.