Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2012

tony0000

For what it's worth, I do not think that swimming without a snorkel is inherently better than swimming with one. They are both good forms of exercise in water.

Tony
Old 08-26-2012

Zoner

Sherry,
You mentioned in your first post that before TI you were able to breathe better. What changed? Once a swimmer learns to exhale all the air out into the water, its pretty much something you don't even need to think about. It just continues to get more and more natural as time goes on. TI swimming, in my opinion, gives you a chance to be more patient, so perhaps the added second or so between your stroking cycle has thrown off your breathing and you're building up CO2. Go back to your old way of swimming...time your 25 yard distance, count how many times you breathe and do the math. Then get yourself a Tempo Trainer (no snorkel) and set it for the same interval. Use this in your TI training and you should find it has to help. The breathlessness you're feeling is all derived from not exhaling all your air or holding your breath. Don't let anyone convince you that you're not in good enough shape. Sure, better fitness leads to quicker times and endurance but not for 100's, 200's, or 1/4 mile distances. If your head is in the water you should be bubbling out through your nose, mouth, or both. Remember, you can swim underwater with your mouth open. The water isn't going to rush in. Experiment.
Old 06-13-2013

Paola
Default Hines and the snorklel

Emmett Hines talks about the use of snorkle in his book "fitness swimming". In the book there are several training programs where he suggests to use a snorkle only for some drills, just to concentrate more. Than he suggest to try to practice the same drills without snorkle. The same for the fins! :-)
Old 06-13-2013
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

I have used the snorkel on new/novice swimmers that are sinkers, true sinkers that drop to the bottom of the pool - not just sinking hips. Helps them find the amount of air they need to remain buoyant, and still learn balance and streamline in drills, rehearsals and whole stroke. There wasn't a problem weening the swimmer off the snorkel, and I believe it's still hanging in the closet. I wrote a coach blog a few month ago on the process.

The Sinker and Snorkel

Stuart
MindBodyAndSWIM
Old 07-13-2013

zerdna
Default getting water in the snorkel

I bought FINS swimming snorkel recently trying to separate problems with breathing that i have on TI drills from the balance and movement correctness issues. Problem is i get water into the snorkel all the time. I must be doing something wrong -- namely i try to keep the head relaxed and horizontal with my nose pointing to the bottom of the pool. That doesn't work -- i get water into the snorkel. I also tried taking my neck back, moving head a little higher while keeping it horizontal -- that still doesn't do it.

Has anyone had the same experience and what was the error you were doing? I am starting to second guess if there is the right size snorkel for me. I ordered adult size and FINS people claim there is just one adult size. Does anyone know anything about a larger size snorkel? I am a pretty big guy -- 6'3", 215 lbs.
Old 06-23-2015

Godfre123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenson1a View Post
In a recent thread about breathing, reference was made to another site by Coach Emmett Hines--title was Sucking Wind. This article made a "good sell" of why to buy a swimmers snorkel.

Site was h2oustonswims.org/articles/sucking_wind.html

Prior to starting TI, I never had much trouble breathing, but once I started TI, I got caught up in counting strokes, head down, etc all of which created a lot of tension. I have started to improve with breathing by reducing tension and practicing a lot of SG and skating drills.

My thought is if I do get one of these swimmers snorkels, perhaps my improvement will be more rapid. I did try a regular snorkel and it did help a little in lessening breathlessness after swimming several laps.

So my question is if I do buy the snorkel, I worry about becoming dependent on it. Need advice--should I stay the tortoise (slow and easy wins the race)? In other words, no "pool toys" or would it be worth my while to take the risk of dependence in favor of improvement?

Interested in anyone's opinion.

Sherry
I'm 55 female and have never been a swimmer across my life - mainly been eye/ball coordination sports. However, in the last couple of years I've felt I wanted to incorporate swimming into some fitness activity. However, I really hit a wall with this as I would get anxious when trying to swim with not being able to breathe properly as you normally see swimmers breathing. Then in one day it all changed - yep that dramatic! I found the finnis freestyle snorkel. REALLY GREAT! 20 laps(20m pool), 40 laps then 80 nonstop - stepping out of pool as if it was a total breeze - admit times only between 41 - 53 mins. Even though I want to get my times below 40 mins a I see myself more of a recreational swimmer. I love swimming now with not being able to worry about breathing as I just breath normally. My enjoyment is the feeling of buoyancy and rhythmic momentum through the water. My swim watch measures the laps so I can just 'settle in' & enjoy stroking simply. I now have the swim MP3 player & downloaded genuine whale & dolphin songs and the fantastic North American Indian wood flute and it adds to the experience.

I do have one question. A personal trainer I was talking to last night seemed to consider my 80 lap effort less when I told him I breathe through a snorkel while swimming. What differences are there if any, with regards to exertion level and aerobic impact.
Old 06-24-2015

Scotty
Default Snorkel is Superior to Kickboard

I use a snorkel every workout for at least 600 meters, but NEVER for freestyle. Instead I use it as a substitute for a kickboard which I personally find one of the worst swimming "aids" ever invented.

Prior to last summer, I would breakup my freestyle laps using a kickboard. After only 25 yards my neck would ache, the lower back would cramp, and I would be out of breath from lifting my head every three seconds to breath. I never thought about kick technique, just about being uncomfortable and getting air.

I switched to a snorkel only after I used one on a Caribbean trip to surprise...snorkel. It was so relaxing to execute an easy kick in the same posture that I use to swim. Not only is my kicking technique now better but it's great for my "active" rest between freestyle lengths. I am able to kick on my front and both sides. Warning...don't over-rotate or you will end up with a mouthful of water.

I estimate I am about 50% faster using a snorkel rather than a kickboard. If you are trying to master a two-beat kick my guess is that a snorkel is a great aid. You don't have to stop and stand up. Just keep breathing and don't break your rhythm.

So hail to the snorkel (mine is a Finis) for improving the kick, but maybe not so much for swimming. By the way, kicking with the snorkel helped me to eliminate the dreaded scissors kick.

Scotty