Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2008

Rhoda
Default Taking the plunge again

Well, I've gone and signed up for another Swimtrek tour, British Virgin Islands this time. This gives me something to shoot for in March, and hopefully a good base for open water season.
Based on my Croatia experiences, I'm doing things a little differently this time. Then, I was taking a step into the unknown and wasn't confident of my ability to do the distances, so I focused on lots and lots of distance front crawl. When I got there the swims were no problem, but my poor feet really suffered on the hikes. This time around I'm doing more dry land training, including running and a very tough Saturday morning spin class with my beloved. I found out how weak my abdominals were this past weekend, and when the instructor had us roll our illiotibial bands over a foam roller to stretch them... oh, man, I can't believe how painful that was!
My recently acquired YWCA membership came with one free personal training session, so I'll make use of that to get a weight training program made up, with core strength and injury prevention as the main goals.
I'm also going to keep up the four-strokes training. Last time I dropped that, but I think it helps with overall endurance.
Yesterday I did the first of the weekly distance swims, very gently and slowly as I was tired from both the spin/foam roller class and a Saturday one-hour swim that included butterfly work. Being tired was actually a good thing, it forced me to focus on keeping my form right to the end of the 2000m swim, which consisted of 14 x 150m, 100 crawl+50 back stroke to even out the muscle effort. Focal points were:
[*]relaxed legs and ankles for a "whippy" kick
[*]keeping my arms, especially the right arm, outside of my body
[*]timing the kick with the catch to anchor my body before spearing forward
[*]keeping the spearing hand completely relaxed
I kept a consistant stroke count right up to the next-to-last set. There should have been a little more rest between sets, but the lap session was ending and I was pressed for time. All in all, it felt really good, and slow as it seemed, I noticed I was keeping up with a regular in another lane who is normally a little faster than me.
Today I think I'll just rest and stretch.