Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2010

dshen
Default TI iPhone App

hey all, apologize if this isn't the right place for this post, but i couldn't find a category that seemed appropriate for it, so i chose one that was relevant in the sense that i believe an iphone app can certainly enhance my freestyle training, especially since the available content in the iphone app is focused on freestyle.

i wanted to start a discussion on how we could improve the iphone app. it creates so many new opportunities and i would love to hear others chime in on how to improve it (instead of just emailing the creator of the app).

here goes:

i'm super glad that TI released an app! it shows how forward thinking TI is.

the app is nice that i can download videos (or rather, buy them for .99 a video). however, i think it can be improved.

in creating this app, i think that the concept of being mobile hasn't been fully taken advantage of.

for me mobile means:

1. being at the pool
2. thinking and studying TI when i'm out and about, or traveling.

so i would love to see the TI app work towards:

1. i would love to see people post workouts and have them available here so that before i jump in the pool, i can glance at my phone and pick a workout to do.

2. i would love to record my workouts here and share them with the community.

3. i suppose i could use the iphone video camera to video myself swimming which could also be uploaded. maybe its time to buy an underwater case for my iphone? haha.

4. i would love to see the ability to download and view terry's blog. there are so many great tips in there that i want to carry around with me to the pool and try something. it would also be great to just read them when i'm not at the pool.

5. i love looking at TI's forums, so an interface to that would be great. also i would love to see if we could get an iphone specific interface to the forum so that it's not just a mobile browser rendering of it. tiny text just doesn't cut it!

6. following on the forums, i'd love to be able to download them to my iphone so i can save and/or view them when i'm not necessarily connected to the web. this improves response times and also when i'm on the plane or in the subway where internet connectivity isn't there.

7. i would love to have more videos available for download. i was hoping for some chapter 5 in easy freestyle DVD but they weren't there. i hope it's just a matter of time before we could download clips from all of TI's DVDs. can we also just buy all the clips from a DVD instead of one by one?

8. i would love to have some capability of recording my performance, like SPLs and tempos worked out, etc. i think this forms the basis of something like Nike's site for sharing/recording workouts with their ipod+footpod sensor technology.

i think this would also help answer questions in the forums that always come up like, what's a typical SPL. we could just look on the shared workout data and find out!

9. links to the website for finding coaches and workshops is great, but i'd love to see an iphone version of that data instead of just going to the website.

has anyone else downloaded the app? what are your thoughts?
Old 05-26-2010
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Wow, I think those are all great ideas for tools to integrate!
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 05-26-2010
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

I'm with Suzanne on this. I hadn't thought of all these as possible apps, but that's because I don't have an iphone and therefore have never bought an app. (As soon as iphone is available on verizon I'll def get one.)

If these are possible it seems to me they would vastly increase the utility and interconnectedness of our site.

I've forwarded this thread to Keith Woodburn to review with Whagaa and find out what we can do?

I wonder how many app developers we may have among TI fans.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 05-26-2010
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
I'm with Suzanne on this. I hadn't thought of all these as possible apps, but that's because I don't have an iphone and therefore have never bought an app. (As soon as iphone is available on verizon I'll def get one.)

If these are possible it seems to me they would vastly increase the utility and interconnectedness of our site.

I've forwarded this thread to Keith Woodburn to review with Whagaa and find out what we can do?

I wonder how many app developers we may have among TI fans.
Terry, consider getting an itouch...all the fun of an iphone without the phone contract. You can download all the apps, use social media, browse articles, the works. And use your own TI app.
Fresh Freestyle

Old 05-26-2010

dshen
Default One more suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
Terry, consider getting an itouch...all the fun of an iphone without the phone contract. You can download all the apps, use social media, browse articles, the works. And use your own TI app.
yes an ipod touch gives you all the functionality without need for the phone part.

one more suggestion:

I would love a way to view Terry's blog posts on the app. So many great insights there and many give me ideas on what to do during a workout. I would love to be able to glance at his posts (hopefully downloadable to the device so i don't have to be connected) before I workout.

thanks for forwarding to your developer!

Dave
Old 05-26-2010
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Not sure what an itouch is but I have an ipod classic already. I'll familiarize with apps via that.
It would be cool to give people mobile access to blogs and make them downloadable. Great suggestion.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 05-26-2010
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Terry, it's time for you to upgrade. ;)
Fresh Freestyle

Old 05-26-2010
Administrator

keith

Thanks for the suggestion, Dave. An optimized version of swimwellblog.com will be included in a soon-to-be-released upgrade to the app. Lots more coming soon!
Old 05-27-2010

dshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, Dave. An optimized version of swimwellblog.com will be included in a soon-to-be-released upgrade to the app. Lots more coming soon!
looking forward to downloading the new app!
Old 06-10-2010

dshen
Default another idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith View Post
i have a new idea for you. it just occurred to me that splitting up the clips of easy freestyle dvd could create a new teaching method.

i was just imagining that if you were to coach someone, you could not only send the workout in text, but also have an associated clip with each workout. so instead of saying 4x25 zen switch, you could say that AND have a button to view the clip.

then when i go to the pool with iphone and workout in your app, i could pull it up, remind myself of the workout, and also view the clips right before i jump in and visualize (with more recency of memory) what the proper form should look like, and also what focus points i should be having.

so coaches could send workouts to their athletes, or maybe i could create a workout in your app myself and then link to clips to remind myself what i should be swimming like (instead of what i really am swimming like haha).

use of the clips and creation of workouts, then maybe saving and sharing workouts on the TI site could be really cool for the app and also for totalimmersion.net.

thanks for listening!