Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2012

newbie2012
Default beginner questions

Hi all,

I've just downloaded the Workshop ( also waiting for the book to arrive any day ), so today I hit the pool for some practice. So I have several questions, maybe they are already answered somewhere on the forum, I read different threads but I'm a bit confused, not sure what I should search for. So bear with me if it some questions are stupid or too basic.

Concerning my swimming "background" ... well ... there's not much, I basically don't know how to swim, I can float on the back and slowly advance using feet movement, but not for long distances any way. If I turn and try to advance facing the water, I can float/advance for a couple of meters in an awkward way, that probably resembles a drunken dis-coordinated frog those arms and legs are completely out of sync. And of course I'm almost breathless after a couple of meters and I can't "stop" to take a break by "walking" the water because I'll go down in no time :)

So ... total immersion to the rescue ! Hence my following questions ...

First of all, I don't have a shallow water pool available, so I wonder what should I do, because this is the first lesson ...

Anyway, today I've practiced floating on the back or slightly on either sides, and focusing on floating and gently kicking with my feet. But how "gently" should gently be ? Or rather, how "deep" is the kick ? Is it initiated by the knee or by the hips ? If I try to kick with the whole feet from the hip, I kinda have the tendency to roll a bit from one side to the other, is this a good or a bad thing ?

Also when kicking slightly on one side, I found it easier to do it on the right side, and much harder ( in terms of equilibrium, floatability ) or the left side. Is this a problem, or just normal body tendency that is solved by practice ?

Lastly, how can I practice or improve my vertical floatability ? Or what's the cause that I tend to go down so quickly ? Only my probably bad feet kick or something else ? And how can I go about this progressively, if I go directly to the deep water end I have little doubt that I'll sink easily to the bottom, and in the middle of the pool where I can almost reach the bottom with my feet, is it ok to practice or I need deeper water ?

Any suggestion or advice is largely appreciated, thanks for any help ...
Old 07-23-2012

ian mac
Default Just do it

Newbie,
Starting any new sport is an awkward time. We feel overwhelmed with information and nothing works the way it does in the books and videos we have been diligently reading and watching. Although I sound like a Nike catchphrase, just do it.

Find one or two things and work only on them. The superman glide is a great place to start. Don't overthink. Get in there and float around like kids do. Learn how your body reacts to different movements. Appreciate that this is a life long journey. There a re no shortcuts and water is a difficult taskmaster. Your mental approach is far more important than anything else. Relax. HAVE FUN! You will get better, it is up to you and it will take time.
Happy gliding,
ian mac
Old 07-24-2012

newbie2012

Thank you Ian, but as I was saying, not having a shallow water pool available makes the superglide a bit hard to practice, I mean I could probably do only one glide before getting to deeper water.

Any other advice, linky, something, especially regarding the foot ( kick ) work ?
Old 07-24-2012

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2012 View Post
Any other advice, linky, something, especially regarding the foot ( kick ) work ?
The TI-recommended kick, as you likely know, is two-beats. But whether two, four or six there is a correct way of employing it. Look here.
Old 07-24-2012

newbie2012

Seriously, I don't know the recommended one because I'm expecting the book any day, and watched the first couple of lessons from the workshop and it's probably too basic to mention, or I haven't got to the part where is explained.

So your link is absolutely great, thank you !

Just found this related one which adds some explanations, does it seem OK to you or is there any wrong advice in it ?

Last edited by newbie2012 : 07-24-2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 07-24-2012

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2012 View Post

Just found this related one which adds some explanations, does it seem OK to you or is there any wrong advice in it ?
Those suggestions seem consistent with good kicking form. When done correctly, the water should "boil" - with minimum splash. And you will note that there is slight body roll.

There will be more insight on the two-bit kick as you delve into TI training materials and video demos.
Old 07-24-2012

newbie2012

Yes, I've noticed the only slightly body roll in both videos, I realize I was kicking too hard from the knee mainly, or generating too much body roll.

You've been very helpful, thanks again !
Old 07-24-2012

newbie2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by borate View Post
Others have developed a "toe flick" (see Shinji's videos). This relates to loose ankles. Ankle flexibility - simulating a flipper or fin - is a definite plus for any swimmer. When kicking the foot forward, imagine there's a soccer ball at
your toes, that you want to quickly flick off.

Bottom-line: enjoy your exercise and take your time. After acquiring good technique, speed will come - if that's what you're into...
Thanks for the soccer analogy, I can definitely relate to that since I've been playing football ( soccer as you call it :) ) for like ... almost 40yrs I guess.

Regarding speed, no need for speed here, just into plain floating, thing that I can hardly do at the moment.

But got the book today, read the first 3 chapters, on to the first lessons next.
Old 07-24-2012

newbie2012
Default practice from book or DVD?

Now I'm confused: the book is great and explains things thoroughly, but talks about an early version of DVD, not the latest version (workshop)

Which one should I follow foremost?! Read the book but follow the workshop? Mix lessons from both? Get the older DVD?