Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-31-2013

xenocyon
Default How important is exhaling underwater?

I taught myself swimming drill by drill using Terry Laughlin's book "Total Immersion: The Revolutionary Way To Swim Better, Faster, and Easier" and watching the DVD. It was very helpful, especially learning to balance my body and keep a long form. I spent about 3-4 months on the drills, and then 3 years on practicing swimming. But somehow along the way I never thought to exhale underwater.

I swim 4 arm strokes at a time (right-left-right-left) between breaths. I hold my breath while underwater. When I rotate to the air for a breath (which I do on my right side) I exhale first and then inhale (both above water) and then do another 4 strokes, and so on. I use a nose clip to keep water from getting in my nose when rotating my head. I can do this for up to 4 lengths, after which I get out of breath. Nowadays I swim 18 sets of 4 lengths each, taking a break after each 4-length set, making a total of 72 lengths but not all at once. I would like to be able to swim the entire 72 lengths together.

I recently learnt that you are supposed to exhale underwater. I just wanted to find out if this is something that most TI swimmers do, and whether it is important to my goal of eventually being able to swim a mile without stopping. Any suggestions?

Last edited by xenocyon : 12-31-2013 at 05:42 PM.