Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2014

ceewhyaxe
Default Critique my swim

Here are 2 videos, taken from above water and below water. Will really appreciate feedback and tips! Thanks everyone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mg5pkhCe0M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXsdgXcZIGA
Old 01-27-2014

borate

Looks smooth and nicely balanced. Two thoughts...

Don't lift the head. Turn it slightly to breathe - perhaps a bit towards the rear - keeping one goggle just below the surface.

After the catch, visualize grabbing an armful of water - as if it were draped over a large ball. Feel pressure from hand to elbow as the arm pulls back.
Old 01-27-2014

daveblt

Not much else to improve on . Looks very good .Nice and smooth.

Dave
Old 01-27-2014

skelander

I *love* the pool!
Old 01-27-2014

Superfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceewhyaxe View Post
Here are 2 videos, taken from above water and below water. Will really appreciate feedback and tips! Thanks everyone!
You have good rhythm and mechanics. Looks good!

I have a few suggestions:

When taking a breath, keep one google in the water. If possible, breathe from the corner of the mouth.

I'm guessing that you don't have much body fat because your head is low in the water. This makes it harder to breath and creates more resistance. To alleviate this, stretch your ankles before swimming. Flexible ankles give more lift and higher body position. Also, you may want to try a 6-beat kick as that will give you even more lift.

Last edited by Superfly : 01-28-2014 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Removed extraneous material
Old 01-27-2014

sojomojo has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceewhyaxe View Post
I'm no coach, but I like your form in the underwater video. I didn't see any bubbles on your spearing arm.

p.s. That's a large swimming pool . . . and you had it all to yourself. SWEET!!!
Old 01-29-2014

tomoy

Heh heh. Yeah, awesome pool! Nice stroke too. Is this all self-coached? Very good work.

Others rightly point out the head lift for air. Remember, your mouth is on the bottom half of your head, so you want to rotate the lower part (focus on your chin) to the surface, not the upper part (your eyes).

Another thought: straighten out your legs and kick from the hips. The left side shows a worse knee-bend than the right. You have nice 2-beat kick timing, but that knee bend just puts the brakes on.

Otherwise, looks really nice. Clearly a lot of good TI Kaizen going on!
Old 01-29-2014

jdzz

Wow, that is nice. How long does it take you to get to this point?
Old 01-30-2014

tony0000

I agree with the others. It looks good, but for the breathing. You seem to be lifting your head out of the water (some) to get air. I recommend that you focus on keeping your head relaxed and in the water and then rotate your body a bit more to swing the mouth above water line.

I have also found that spearing a bit more forcefully and a bit farther down with the arm on the side you will be breathing on helps. What happens is the spearing (entry) drives the head slightly down in the water and then, it slightly bobs back up just as it's time to breathe. It's funny, but it seems to work for me.

Hope this help,

Tony
Old 01-30-2014

ceewhyaxe

Thanks to all for your comments so far! On and off I have been trying TI for about 1 year, but only got serious in September.

Yes I do notice about my head issue. Its a habit thing, similar to my left leg bending more.

It may look good but somehow I cant swim long. Which really irks me as there are many splashers in my condo pool and have "bad" technique yet seem to go on forever.