Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2014

Doca
Default First Mile

I thought I would share my 'milestone' as I swam my first mile today! Was 1880m to be exact, had to get out the pool to go to work :).

With ambitions to do triathlons I started to try and learn freestyle in September last year, I literally couldn't do a stroke. I discovered TI around October but probably didn't fully commit to the TI approach until the start of the year.

I really enjoy my swimming and I couldn't recommend TI enough to new or struggling swimmers.

I still have a long way to go as my pace seems stuck at 2:30/100m whether its 200m or 1800m but there were definitely times this morning where the different stroke elements gelled together & it felt really nice so I think I just have to find that more often to go quicker.
Old 03-20-2014

bx

Congrats Doca!

Your results far outstrip my own more modest milestone, and in a fraction of the time learning TI :)
Old 03-20-2014

Doca

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx View Post
Congrats Doca!

Your results far outstrip my own more modest milestone, and in a fraction of the time learning TI :)
The time probably doesn't reflect the amount of effort though. I have been swimming most week days & often went twice in one day (30 hours since 14th Jan according to Garmin).

I would definitely have got to where I am now much quicker If I had fully embraced TI from the start but I never believed it would be so difficult.

I booked a local triathlon early on which requires a 750m open water swim & this has been my motivation.
Old 03-20-2014

dprevish

Nice job Doca,

What was now daunting is now possible, just wait till you get to take that to some sweet OW:)
Old 03-21-2014

mjensen2k

Congrats!

I'm a fan of setting a goal and using it for motivation. Using your OWS triathlon has clearly pushed you for a very fast progression! Congrats again!

I hope to say the same soon. :-)
Old 09-03-2014

Doca

Just thought i'd make a progress update:

My fist OW triathlon swim race didn't go as well as hoped mostly due to anxiety stopping me from breathing out in the water.
However I've just done my 2nd OW triathlon, a half Ironman distance (1.2mile swim) and I was really pleased with the swim which took 40 mins & I was able to keep with the mid pack without too much effort.
Old 09-03-2014

Talvi

Congrats! Great progress, and a 1.2m OW swim is a great achievement imo, especially keeping up with the pack. Do you know what your time was for it?

You wrote;
Quote:
I would definitely have got to where I am now much quicker If I had fully embraced TI from the start but I never believed it would be so difficult.
Can you expand on that?

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 09-03-2014

Doca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvi View Post
Congrats! Great progress, and a 1.2m OW swim is a great achievement imo, especially keeping up with the pack. Do you know what your time was for it?

You wrote;

Can you expand on that?
The time for the swim was 40mins but that did include us getting out the water after the 1st lap running across a slip way and back in for the 2nd lap & also getting to the transition point after the 2nd lap.

What I meant was that if you has asked me how long I thought it was going to take me to get reasonably proficient at front crawl when I started back in September last year I would have guessed about 3-4 months. I knew I was prepared to put the work in but I seriously underestimated the challenge.
I was reading lots of information from lots of sources (most of which was too advanced for where I was) and trying to apply everything & expected results. When I didn't get the results I wanted I sought a professional lesson which happened to be a TI coach only because he was the nearest located to me.
After that it was TI all the way.

I swim OW twice a week and don't have any problem swimming 3 or 4 Km, this weekend was just the first (successfull) time I'd swam OW in a race which is a different experience when its a 150 or so mass start.

I still have a long way to go but at the moment I have a clear idea about the areas I can improve on.
Old 09-03-2014

Talvi

Thanks, and very impressive. So you're now well under 2:00/100 over distance, half a minute faster than your times only 5 months ago. The time it took to my first km was pretty much the same as yours, now I look back at it, but I'm still a over that magic 2:00 pace at distance especially in OW. Great job :)

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 09-04-2014

Doca

Open water pace is with a wet suit though which for me is about 15-20 seconds faster over 100m.