Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2010

naj
Default From Pt. Bonita to The Bay Bridge 13.4K!

Hi folks,

On July 13th I swam from San Francisco's Pt Bonita Beach, which is 2.5 miles west of the Golden Gate Bridge, to the Bay Bridge a distance of 8.5 miles or 13.4K. My time was 3hrs 19min and 1sec on a 4.5 knot flood current. It was an experience being in the ocean swimming in 3-5ft swells for 1.5hrs but I felt I had a good feel for the water and made great progress. At times I hit a strong mental block when I thought I was going to quit, but I kept going with the help of a good friend who swam with me and carried on.

I am now looking at doing a swim from Ocean Beach to The Bay Bridge next year which is a little over 10 miles (18K) and in addition the Santa Barbara Channel as well.

Thanks for everyone's advice on the site and I'll keep you all informed of future swims and progress. Hey Terry and Coach Dave, not bad for a guy who learned to swim less than 2 years ago huh?

Keep Swimming!
Old 07-15-2010

splashingpat
Default Thanks for sharin' buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hi folks,

On July 13th I swam from San Francisco's Pt Bonita Beach, which is 2.5 miles west of the Golden Gate Bridge, to the Bay Bridge a distance of 8.5 miles or 13.4K. My time was 3hrs 19min and 1sec on a 4.5 knot flood current. It was an experience being in the ocean swimming in 3-5ft swells for 1.5hrs but I felt I had a good feel for the water and made great progress. At times I hit a strong mental block when I thought I was going to quit, but I kept going with the help of a good friend who swam with me and carried on.

I am now looking at doing a swim from Ocean Beach to The Bay Bridge next year which is a little over 10 miles (18K) and in addition the Santa Barbara Channel as well.

Thanks for everyone's advice on the site and I'll keep you all informed of future swims and progress. Hey Terry and Coach Dave, not bad for a guy who learned to swim less than 2 years ago huh?

Keep Swimming!
JUST MAYBE
HE NEEDED YOU
TOO!

keep swimmin'
I have to go to
dancin' so I'm NOT late!

thanks ...I can't even
imagine...
& I have been told I don't have an imagination

thanks
again!
buddy keep us updated!

Last edited by splashingpat : 07-15-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-19-2010

cynthiam

Holy moley! Now that I've swum in (the protected part of) the bay, I have much more appreciation for a feat like this one. Congrats, Naji -- that's fantastic.

Cynthia