Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2016

s.sciame
Default dermatitis (eczema) around eyes

Hi all,
I recently developed a dermatitis around my eyes probably caused by the goggles (maybe by chlorine as well).

Has anybody ever experienced something similar? The dermatologist prescribed me a cortisone creme and, when I'll be ready to come back to the pool, I'll have to change goggles and hope the rash won't come again (I could have developed some allergy). I've always used swedish goggles and, curiously enough, here I read that they were born to solve the problem I'm having now...!

http://www.malmsten.com/produktblad/...y%20080715.pdf

Finally I want to add that I'm swimming in the same pool for years (never had any problems) and using the same goggles for a long time (they don't appear deteriorated).

Regards,
Salvo
Old 01-29-2016

s.sciame

For the record and if it can help anybody, I cured the dermatitis with a cortisone creme + hydrating creme + staying away from the pool for a while.

Now I'm going on with the hydrating creme for some more days and today I was back to the pool with a new pair of swedish goggles.

So far so good, I hope the dermatitis won't come back anymore.

Salvo
Old 02-01-2016

s.sciame

Update: unfortunately using a new pair of swedish goggles didn't work, the eczema came back. It seems I developed an allergy and now I should find a "right" pair of goggles.

The problem is that the majority of goggles have a rubber gasket, an rubber seems to be even worse for dermatitis and eczemas.

I wonder if nobody else here has ever had something similar...

Salvo
Old 02-01-2016

WFEGb

Hello Salvo,

did you ever try a larger mask like Terry? It should fit more outer around your eyes than directly as goggles. Maybe your skin there is not as sensitive as directly around your eyes.

Best regards,
Werner

Last edited by WFEGb : 02-01-2016 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 02-02-2016

s.sciame

Hi Werner,
that's a good point, thanks! Do you use a mask yourself? I once tried a mask years ago but it leaked very much. That's my main concern about masks.
Anyway I'll eventually give it another try if I don't find any better goggles.

Thanks again,
Salvo
Old 02-02-2016

sojomojo has disabled reputation

I don’t have any first hand experience with this, but many years ago, I was on a diving boat when I noticed the dive master putting a thin layer of Aquaphor ointment on his face. He said it helped with getting a more water tight mask seal to his face.

My niece uses Aquaphor on her daughter’s eczema so it might also help your eczema and also give your goggles a better water tight seal and a barrier or protection from whatever is causing the eczema.

I don’t know if you have access to Aquaphor, but petroleum vaseline might be an alternative.

Good luck!

Last edited by sojomojo : 02-02-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-02-2016

WFEGb

Hello Salvo,

yes I tried and do like it much more than goggles. The first fitted best for nearly two years, next only for three months. Maybe I was too careless not putting it back into the box every time...

Best regards,
Werner
Old 02-04-2016

s.sciame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojomojo View Post
I don’t have any first hand experience with this, but many years ago, I was on a diving boat when I noticed the dive master putting a thin layer of Aquaphor ointment on his face. He said it helped with getting a more water tight mask seal to his face.

My niece uses Aquaphor on her daughter’s eczema so it might also help your eczema and also give your goggles a better water tight seal and a barrier or protection from whatever is causing the eczema.

I don’t know if you have access to Aquaphor, but petroleum vaseline might be an alternative.

Good luck!
Thanks very much sojomojo, it definitely makes sense. I'll give it a try. Too bad being far from the pool, hope I'll find a valid solution soon!

Regards,
Salvo
Old 02-12-2016

s.sciame

Hey sojomojo, Aquaphor is doing a good job: I'm applaying it before putting the goggles on, changed goggles (replaced swedes with my rubber open water goggles) and the eczema hasn't come back so far.

Still not sure what caused the eczema, whether swedish goggles or chlorine or both. Anyway Aquaphor is building a good barrier to protect that weak part of the skin from whatever it is, that's great!

Thanks again,
Salvo
Old 02-15-2016

Rhoda

I've had this problem in the past, though I use goggles with silicone gaskets.
Did you take them off frequently while in the pool? I think that was the cause of my problem. I was irritating the skin with friction by constantly removing them and putting them back on again. Wet skin is more fragile and prone to damage than dry skin.
I solved the problem eventually by finding goggles that fit better, and by washing them thoroughly after each swim. I used hemp body butter from The Body Shop as a cream both before and after swimming and that helped as well. The fact that I only ever got it under the left eye was the clue that goggle fit was the problem.