Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2015

harishjindal
Default help requd reg swim goggles

I am Harish from India. Because of limited availability of Aqua Sphere (a decent brand with sufficient reviews), I will be buying from USA. I want to be more sure since I am ordering from abroad and I don't have the option of either trying or replacement.

I will sum up my limited understanding of swimming goggles and then you can correct me with your wisdom

There are 5 types of lenses:

Clear: Can be used only indoors.

Tinted: Depending upon the darkness of tint, it can be used outdoors. Very Dark lenses can ONLY be used outdoors. Medium tint can only be used both outdoors and indoors.

Smoked: Don't exactly understand the distinction between smoked and tinted. I think smoked is some form of tinted lens only.

Polarized: Very good for bright sunlight as they block the reflective glare from water. Less reviews about polarized since it is available only in kayenne and more expensive than other models.

Mirrored: Again, don't exactly understand this. What I read was mirrored lens is good for bright sunlight (as it reflects sunlight) but without the dark tint, how will it limit the amount of light entering the eyes? But I read decent reviews about mirrored lens

I am fine to buy one or two goggles which will suit swimming in bright sunlight and swimming in late evenings/indoors for both backstroke and freestyle. Freestyle will be major area of focus. Kindly tell me which one or two goggles shall I buy.

Also, regarding type of goggles, Aqua Sphere has Kayenne and Kaiman and Seal mask. I understand the final choice may depend on individual comfort but still which ones shall I prefer. I have neither too fat, nor too slim face as such. Seal mask gives very broad view I think but not sure about the other performance of seal mask (leakage etc)
Old 07-30-2015

Richardsk

Hello Harish

Goggles are very difficult items to give advice on. What suits one swimmer may not suit another. I have found that my favourite is the Zoggs Predator, which is easy to find here in the UK. If you can wear the Swedish type, I have found that Kiefer make them in tinted and clear and they have the added advantage of being very cheap and if you treat them right they will last for years. I don't know whether Zoggs or Kiefer are easily obtainable in India but I presume Amazon is searchable for them.

For what it's worth, I would search Amazon for Aqua Sphere, Zoggs, Speedo and Kiefer and see what comes up.

The Swedish type are particularly suitable for backstroke, I think. A lot depends on the shape of your eye sockets.
Old 07-30-2015

Rhoda

If at all possible, find a way to try goggles on before buying them. The problem with buying online is that you don't know beforehand if they'll fit your face, and many companies won't take them back due to health concerns.
Are there any sporting goods stores selling goggles at all near where you live, perhaps in the larger cities?
Tint is less important than fit and seal. If you can put them up against your eye sockets, press in slightly, and they form a suction seal when you try to pull them away - all without actually putting the strap around your head - then they'll be all right. If they pull away very easily, you'll likely be contending with leaking and constantly having to tighten them.