Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2009

Nicodemus

Hi John
Sorry for putting words in your mouth!

Do you have a problem with over-rotation on every stroke, or only one side, or just strokes when you breathe?

I have noticed that I can over-rotate when I breathe. If I freeze my position an artificially long time and glide I sometimes drift over onto my back. Of course this may just be because I shouldn't hold the pose that long anyway. I find two things get me right back on track - turning my face down, and starting to recover my arm. I think the recovery arm is a great counter-balance because as soon as you lift it out of the water it becomes 10x heavier.

I noticed you referred to rotation from your arm pull. This suggests to me you are pulling up or sideways instead of straight back. I get no sense of rotation coming from the pull in my own stroke; it all comes from the kick, hip and shoulder.

N
Old 08-24-2009

madvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
Hi John
Sorry for putting words in your mouth!
... no offense taken (I never do) we were trying to understand each other.

Do you have a problem with over-rotation on every stroke, or only one side, or just strokes when you breathe?
...good question, probably more on my nonbreathing side.

I have noticed that I can over-rotate when I breathe. If I freeze my position an artificially long time and glide I sometimes drift over onto my back. Of course this may just be because I shouldn't hold the pose that long anyway. I find two things get me right back on track - turning my face down, and starting to recover my arm. I think the recovery arm is a great counter-balance because as soon as you lift it out of the water it becomes 10x heavier.
... I agree that elbow going high in the first part of the recovery is a great balancer.

I noticed you referred to rotation from your arm pull. This suggests to me you are pulling up or sideways instead of straight back. I get no sense of rotation coming from the pull in my own stroke; it all comes from the kick, hip and shoulder.
....I always thought it did. Maybe it doesn't???? I will try it out.

N
(responses imbedded in quote)
Old 08-24-2009

splashingpat
Default i just kinda hang onto the water focus on the kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by madvet View Post
(responses imbedded in quote)
not on the pull!
I ready don't focus on what is going on under the water
like I try to focus on what is going on above ther water

email me& I have a verizon cell # as well