Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2012

pgabus

Hi,
I worked a lot on my swim since this old post, I made a lot of improvment.
Now my swim looks like this :
https://vimeo.com/44566503

I think that my head goes from left to right (and also up and down a little), do you know the reason for that ? and wich drill can I do to fix that ?

Thanks a lot

Pascal
Old 06-23-2012

svenosaurus

It seems to me that your right hand is entering the water with the palm facing outward (instead of down). If that is so, you may be pushing sideways as you spear, which would cause your body to wobble sideways a bit.
Old 06-24-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Look at the very last frame. Your right hand is pushing to your right causing the entire body to move left. The last frame captures the moment.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 06-24-2012

pgabus

Thanks svenosaurus, thanks Suzanne.
Yes you're right, my right hand seems to be the cause of my wobbles. I try today not pushing on the right with my right hand, but it's not something easy to correct.
Pascal
Old 06-24-2012

swimust
Default legs

@pgabus,
Hi, I always like to check "the other things" when I watch swimming, so your first video shows your legs work, your second does not.
I maybe just picking on a minor detail but here it is anyway. I am not a coach, its up to you "to take it or leave it" (my opinion):
You look good and relaxed overall, but your legs work should be more refind and smoother with less force during the kick. Check Shinji's kick (snap). He does not kick hard as you. Your kick may cause you loosing balance and having less streamlining. Your hard kick stops you on your way forward.
This is a common problem in classic TI style. Thats why Shinji's snap/flick is desired by many.

Thats just my little opinion, I maybe wrong of course.
Its looking good overall. Nice style.
I just had to say something. Tomorrow is my moment of truth at the pool. Just a personal matter..

yep... I just watched your first video again. Your right leg kicks hard, your left leg does not kick at all! here lies your problem, just as CSuzanne said, something to do with your right side.

Last edited by swimust : 06-24-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-25-2012

svenosaurus

It helps to have someone watch you and tell you if you are doing what you think you are doing. A week ago my wife recorded a video of my swimming and I realized that my legs were much busier than I thought and my arms speared shallower than I thought (and my left arm also not as wide as I thought). So, for the last few days, I've been focusing on quieting my legs and spearing deeper and wider, occasionally asking my wife to watch for those things and give me immediate feedback. I was amazed at the decrease in my SPL in just one week.

Besides the value of feedback, the other lesson I drew from this is that, for every problem in the front, there is likely an associated problem in the back (and vice versa). So I second swimust's suggestion - make sure you get feedback on both your front and back work.