Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2009

buffyjoseph
Default Exhale through nose or mouth

I took the workshop in San Jose this past summer (Hi, Dave!) and loved it. Up until now I've been ignoring the breathing, but it is time to work on that. The other posts in this Forum helped, and I bought the O2 in H2O DVD, but I still am having a lot of problems.

The DVD says to exhale through your nose. Is this important? I am much more comfortable exhaling through my mouth (probably because that's how I was originally taught), but is there a reason for using my nose instead? I've been trying to do that, but I'm much less relaxed, and also as I get tired I seem to sometimes accidentally inhale through my nose while still underwater.

Any help would be appreciated.

-- Buffy
Old 10-11-2009

daveblt

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffyjoseph View Post
, but is there a reason for using my nose instead? I've been trying to do that, but I'm much less relaxed, and also as I get tired I seem to sometimes accidentally inhale through my nose while still underwater
Buffy
This is also one of the reasons you want to breathe out through the nose, so no water gets in. Bubble out through the nose when you swim the entire time your face is in the water and at the same time keep your lips parted a little. The pressure of the air coming out of the nose and mouth should keep the water out .

Dave
Old 10-12-2009

buffyjoseph
Default Accidently breathing in thru nose

Oops, Dave, I think you misunderstood. When I am exhaling thru my nose, THAT is when I sometimes inhale through my nose also. If I'm exhaling thru my mouth I don't do that. Maybe from years of exhaling & inhaling thru my mouth only?

Anyway, I was wondering if there was a reason to exhale thru the nose rather than the mouth?

I'll try leaving my mouth slightly open while exhaling thru my nose. Maybe that will help.
Old 10-13-2009

huxieai

This post has been deleted.

Last edited by terry : 10-13-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-29-2009

buffyjoseph
Default I'm finally getting the breathing

I think I'm finally getting it. While wandering around TI, I found this article:

http://archive.totalimmersion.net/20...breathing.html

I worked on these steps (although I wish I had a coach to watch me), and the right side breathing is coming together. The left side is still bad (I seem to be underwater when I'm trying to breathe), but I'm practicing going to my sweet spot on the left side for now.

-- Buffy
Old 10-29-2009
Coach

CoachDave
Default Breathing

Buffy!!!
Take a look at your video from the clinic. You'll notice that sometimes your arms are not symmetrical when you try to breathe, and your timing can be a bit off. The fact that you are lifting on one side but not the other tells me that the rest of the body is a little out of balance. Been trying the walk a little here and there to help? If so, try doing it a little more, but get the arms stroking towards the ceiling too. See if you are taking the head with the body on time or late when your right arm/leg strike through.
www.ywcampls.org/ti
www.ywcampls.org/otters
www.distancedave.com
Old 10-29-2009

indysjl

A technique I have used to make my breathing pattern (in through mouth, out through both nose and mouth, but mostly nose) consistent is to practice it while resting between laps or drills. I will take a breath above water, then dip under up to my goggles and exhale through my nose and mouth. After a while doing this, it had become second nature. Muscle memory if you will. I basically modified the yoga breath rest concept to help with my breath mechanics. I feel it is a good way to take advantage of the time spent between drills/laps.

Obviously this doesn't do much for integrating the breathing in whole stroke, but does help for the mechanics of the breathing by itself.

Hope this helps,

Saul
Old 11-24-2009

RVL

I have a problem ,...water gets in my sinus passages when I swim. Now I swim with a snorkeler`s mask which has made my open water swims more fun, especially in the winter months when the water is in the 50`s. I bet ya a ton of $ that water in the nose cools the body in a hurry,..just like the ears.
Old 11-24-2009

Landlover

I have had the same problem with sinuses and wear a nose clip - breathing through the mouth is not as smooth as through the nose but with a bit of work is fine - and it has stopped those nonstop sneezing fits
Old 11-25-2009

daveblt

Like I mentioned in the post above water is getting in your nose because of an incorrect breathing pattern.I could almost guarantee that you are unconsciously stopping your exhale when your face is in the water and , or inhaling too early . Breathe OUT until your face clears the water . You don't even have to breathe out forcefully at all . Only the slightest amount will keep the water out , BUT just make sure your not inhaling when your face is in the water or start to inhale too early before your face clears the water .

Dave