Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2009

jan ameling

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts with me.
I still haven't made up my mind though...

I've only been swimming freestyle for the last 6 months now. And since I want to join a master swimming club, I really don't know whether I should be training all the strokes (for masters competition) or spend my entire year improving mainly my freestyle (for open water events). It's frustrating not being able to make up your mind.

Last edited by jan ameling : 09-28-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-28-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan ameling View Post
Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts with me.
I still haven't made up my mind though...

I've only been swimming freestyle for the last 6 months now. And since I want to join a master swimming club, I really don't know whether I should be training all the strokes (for masters competition) or spend my entire year improving mainly my freestyle (for open water events). It's frustrating not being able to make up your mind.
How about training with the Masters sometimes, and spending some individual time on just freestyle?

Each stroke can teach you something and work different muscles in different ways. Of course, backstroke is a good complement of freestyle. Plus, I'd imagine just doing one stroke would become boring.
Old 09-29-2009

Rhoda

I feel that every stroke adds a little something to all the others. The only one I don't do a lot of is breast stroke, because I have to be careful with my knees. Doing four-strokes with a masters club won't hurt your freestyle at all, and, as Shuumai says, you can always go off by yourself a few days a week and work on your own. I'm swimming with a masters club one day a week now and still finding the need for quiet swims where I really concentrate on one or two things.
Actually, the majority of people who belong to masters clubs don't race at all, they just go for exercise and socializing, so there's no pressure to compete.
Old 11-16-2009

splashingpat
Default i like you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Don't worry your English is fine and totally understood. I can't speak for other forum members but I don't compete in races (never was competitive about sports). But, I do enjoy a challenge and I like pushing myself to do more. At present I am training for a 10k swim that I will do solo in October from the famous Golden Gate Bridge to the Bay Bridge. I'm not concerned with the distance so much as being able to stay in the water. The swim will take anywhere from 1-and-a-half hours to two-hours - depending on tide conditions and wind. The water will still be relatively warm at 60 or 61F and if I get a good current I think I can do the swim in 1 1/2 hours

I only swim in the ocean now and rarely in the pool. Too me, the ocean is far more exciting and is never the same way twice in a row!
i like you

i know by your answers...
i like your style...

now i thnk i'd like to try open waters...
but i'd have a hard time finding you...

and you are the one i'd like to swim with!
you would be my nemo!...(findin nemo!)

it's nice to know
you are out there!

swimming with FRIENDS...
If something strange happen out there!

I'd like the way
you'd explain it!

anyways!
pat

But that's me....for now...I'll be bellydancin ON LAND!
and thinkin' of ya!

Last edited by splashingpat : 11-16-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-16-2009
Coach

CoachJohnB

I train for the 100/200 meter backstroke in United States Masters competition.

Someone mentioned being in the "Zone" for open water and not pool water.
I am just the opposite. I get in the "zone" for pool races, esp. backstroke races.

I have never gotten into the "zone" for open water. In fact, I don't even get excited for anything to do with open water. But give me a pool...I am there...love the feel of a pool.
Old 11-17-2009

DavidBarra
Default 4 bigguns in 2010

I am currently (no pun) training for a season of 4 marathon swims:
Tampa Bay
MIMS
Catalina
English Channel

I have secured a place in MIMS, and my EC pilot, Paul Foreman, sent me my contract today. My EC slot is for the tidal window of aug 28 - sept 6, 2010 but i plan to be in dover a week prior and will be prepared to swim on the spring tide on a nice day. (my position is #3).
I will try to schedule the Catalina swim for the 3rd week in July, but the tide charts are not out yet, and i will have to wait until December to do the booking.

TB and MIMS are fixed dates... April 17, and June 12 respectively.

I've got a 2011 slot booked for the EC as well.
Old 11-19-2009

madvet

Quote:
....since I want to join a master swimming club, I really don't know whether I should be training all the strokes (for masters competition)
Being new at swimming, I don't know if you are ready for TRAINING in all the strokes.... while it is sometimes argued that freestyle is the most difficult stroke to master, the other strokes have a much steeper learning curve (for most of us) to get to a level that you would want to compete at. Not that the slower echelon is competitive at all, it is by all accounts very supportive of anyone who wants to get in the pool and swim whatever they want to swim. And the faster echelon of swimmers don't look down on the slower ones (like seems to be creeping into the running world).

When I started TI 3 years ago, I decided I also wanted to learn the other strokes. It took me 6 months to a year to get to where I felt comfortable with them. Then I was ready to incorporate those strokes in the Master's group I work with.

It seems like people either love or hate doing the "other" strokes. Even if it turns out you don't want to go much further, there is a lot to learn from them, this is just for starters:

backstroke -- staying on top of the water
breaststroke -- front-to-back balance
butterfly -- quick coordinated movement

Many master's swimmers just do freestyle. If all you do is freestyle, don't hesitate to join, train, and compete if you would like.
Old 11-20-2009

splashingpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by madvet View Post
Being new at swimming,
I don't know if you are ready for TRAINING in all the strokes....
while
it is sometimes argued that freestyle is the most difficult stroke to master, the other strokes have a much steeper learning curve (for most of us)
to get to a level that you would want to compete at.
Not that the slower echelon is competitive at all,
it is by all accounts very supportive of anyone who wants to get in the pool and swim whatever they want to swim. And the faster echelon of swimmers don't look down on the slower ones
(like seems to be creeping into the running world).

When I started TI 3 years ago,
I decided I also wanted to learn the other strokes.
It took me 6 months to a year to get to where I felt comfortable with them.
Then
I was ready to incorporate those strokes in the Master's group I work with.

It seems like people either love or hate doing the "other" strokes.
Even if it turns out you don't want to go much further,
there is a lot to learn from them, this is just for starters:

backstroke -- staying on top of the water
breaststroke -- front-to-back balance
butterfly -- quick coordinated movement

Many master's swimmers just do freestyle.
If all you do is freestyle, don't hesitate to join, train,
and compete if you would like.
I could do all the others and wanted to learn or understand Crawl better!
I did
but was more lucky...
I stayed until the very end of the One and half hour terrible swims of my life!
just to find out ....
there is a SWEET SPOT! that I didn't know about!
but
I do now!

why do I always have to find out the hard way?

love your post
3 years john,
and I hope I helped out! even a little bit!
Old 11-20-2009

Alex-SG

Quote:
Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts with me....I still haven't made up my mind though...
I've only been swimming freestyle for the last 6 months now. It's frustrating not being able to make up your mind.
I am not into swimming all styles nor pool swimming... nor do I like Sprints.

I like to train for TRIATHLONS and OPEN WATER events, Freestyle only.

The adrenaline of a group start, getting kicked on the face, grabbing someone's head while strocking... the feeling of being alone in the open sea heading towards a buoy 400m away.... the sense of direction that goes with it...
And best of all, getting out of the water, looking at your triathlon watch and say:"whow, I shaved 2min from last year and I am not even tired".

I really like Total Immersion's concept of swimming long distances with minimum effort.

I also really like Triathlons because I am one of those guys good at many things without being excellent in anything specific. In Triathlon if you are good at the 3 sports (Swimming, Cycling, Runing), you will pass many other competitors who only excell in one of them.

ALEX
Old 11-22-2009

DavidBarra

i think there are benefits to working with all the competitive strokes even if you only wish to compete in freestyle (open water or long distance)

it works different muscle groups and breaks up long monotonous training sessions.... and you just might find some joy in swimming another stroke.

the desire to turn over and swim some backstroke when crossing under a bridge is too great to resist, and to be able to do so with some proficiency is certainly desirable..... there are lots of other reasons, but this one in particular has brought me much joy!