Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Butterfly
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2010

GShaikun
Default Frog Kick

I read in the Wall St Journal article that Terry or some use a frog kick with their butterfly. I swam breast stroke in college (42 yrs ago) and never could do the dolphin, only the frog (or whip as we called it then). In fact had no distance durability in free either, breast stroke was it for me. Does anyone know if those using it are using a one kick to one stroke or a double beat like the dolphin? Haven't been swimming much for workout in decades, bike, run, ski. But the Fly article has me intrigued. If you haven't read it:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...396369848.html
Old 06-01-2010

ames

Butterfrog! Yes, I came across this myself several weeks ago. Terry does a 1-stroke to 1-kick cycle here: http://www.youtube.com/user/tiswim?b...30/xW_d3XpXltY

It's fun, I can't do butterfly yet so butterfrog makes me feel like I'm almost there.

ames
Old 06-02-2010

Richardsk

If you swim butterfrog in competition (it's only permitted in masters swimming) you are allowed only one frog kick per arm pull. It used to be the case that the FINA rules had a loophole that allowed masters swimmers in Britain (and perhaps elsewhere) to use two frog kicks per stroke. Unfortunately that has now been changed and the FINA rule expressly forbids two frog kicks. You can use one frog kick and one dolphin kick, though, which seems illogical to me, but that's the present situation to the best of my knowledge.

There was some discussion recently on the USMS site about whether you can in fact swim butterfly almost entirely with dolphin kick alone, because the rules do not specify how many dolphin kicks you can take per arm stroke. Obviously it would be slower with just dolphin kicks but if like me you find it difficult to get the arms cleanly out of the water it could mean the diference between finishing and not finishing. My conclusion is that in theory one could swim legally with only one pull per length, but obviously that would not be very competitive and we are unlikely to see it in the Olympic Games.
Old 06-20-2016

Suddethb

I'm hoping USMS will join the real world and go to 2-dolphin butterfly ONLY, and stop allowing the butterfrog ever. Butterfrog isn't butterfly anywhere else in the world, it's called DQ.
Old 06-29-2016
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddethb View Post
I'm hoping USMS will join the real world and go to 2-dolphin butterfly ONLY, and stop allowing the butterfrog ever. Butterfrog isn't butterfly anywhere else in the world, it's called DQ.
I'm not sure what you mean by "anywhere else in the world". FINA masters competitions allow the breaststroke kick to be used in butterfly just as USMS meets do.

The reason for allowing it in masters meets is, presumably, because breaststroke kicking was originally allowed in butterfly (in fact, when butterfly was still called breaststroke, breaststroke kicking was required). So I'm guessing that they don't want to require 90-year-old butterfliers to learn a new way of kicking just to keep doing the stroke.

Bob
Old 03-04-2017

Suddethb

http://www.fina.org/content/sw-8-butterfly
SW 8.3 All up and down movements of the legs must be simultaneous. The legs or the feet need not be on the same level, but they shall not alternate in relation to each other. A breaststroke kicking movement is not permitted.

You were saying Bob? Why would FINA violate their own rules?
Old 02-13-2018
DennisJVeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames View Post
Butterfrog! Yes, I came across this myself several weeks ago. Terry does a 1-stroke to 1-kick cycle here: http://www.youtube.com/user/tiswim?b...30/xW_d3XpXltY

It's fun, I can't do butterfly yet so butterfrog makes me feel like I'm almost there.

ames
Way to go buddy....