Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2011

dshen
Default New Tempo Trainer Pro by Finis

hey anyone try the new Tempo Trainer Pro by Finis?

Tempo Trainer Pro Audible Metronome | FINIS http://ds.ly/py93hD

I think the sync button is a great new feature for TI-ers but not sure about the strokes per minute setting. Too used to X seconds per beep tempo way of looking at tempo....
Old 09-06-2011

AWP

Thanks! on the Christmas list.
Old 09-06-2011

TheFrog

Thanks for pointing that out! I've thought about getting a tempo trainer, but have been holding off because of what I saw as a design flaw. To be specific, the lack of a user replaceable battery. It looks like they've taken care of that in this version, so I'll probably be getting my hands on one as soon as the budget allows.
Old 09-07-2011

CoachRyan
Default Defenitely looks like a great new product

I just ordered 10 of them to use with my swimmers.

I have been waiting for the new model to come out but I heard it was going to be much more expensive (like $80)...so I was pleased to see the $50 price tag. I will be putting them on my site for sale as well for even cheaper since I have the option to resell Finis products.

The nice thing about the beeps/min mode is that you can use it for land-based activities easier. While we may be used to sec/stroke in swimming because of using the old tempo trainer, most are used to Rev/min in cycling and strides/min in running. You can now take your tempo trainer with you on your runs and maintain 85-90 strides/min like recommended in Chi Running (which I call the "Total Immersion of Run Training").

I am defenitely looking forward to using this new model and so glad you can replace batteries.
ryan@tribasetraining.com
360-621-6830
Old 09-08-2011

TomH

DShen,

Thanks for posting this. I've been using a Tempo Trainer for a few years, and I hadn't realized they were going to release a new and improved model. BTW, I think we met briefly at the Waikiki Rough Water Swim. I was talking with Coach Todd when you stopped by to say hello to him. If that is you, I hope you had a great swim, and enjoyed your trip to the islands!
Old 09-09-2011

dshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
DShen,

Thanks for posting this. I've been using a Tempo Trainer for a few years, and I hadn't realized they were going to release a new and improved model. BTW, I think we met briefly at the Waikiki Rough Water Swim. I was talking with Coach Todd when you stopped by to say hello to him. If that is you, I hope you had a great swim, and enjoyed your trip to the islands!
ha yeah it's me! great to meet you as well. it was a great day for a swim altho i was disappointed with my time. how was it for you?

if you get that new model, I'd love to hear what you think of it.
Old 09-09-2011
Coach

CoachToddE
Default Finis TT, Pulse Monitor and Swimsense

Am currently at the ASCA Coaches Clinic in San Diego and talked to the Finis Rep yesterday about the new tempo trainer. It is definitely worth purchasing if you are/were going to get the old TT. Ryan is correct in that now there are other ways to incorporate the use of the TT. I also looked at the Pulse Monitor and said to the Rep that Finis needed an ANT capability to link pulse and the swimsence together. He told me that is in the works. And out shortly is a new mod to the swimsense that will eliminate the need to push the stop/start buttons once you start your workout (which I usually forgot to do at some point durnig a set). He also stated that by Christmas the pulse monitor will be able to talk to the swimsense so that you will now have HR data to go with your swim data. So with all three, TT, Swimpulse, and Swimsense you can now be a swimming techno geek and obtain all kinds of useful data--can't wait.
Old 09-09-2011
Coach

CoachToddE
Default PS

Forgot to mention how much I enjoyed meeting you dshen and will be seeing you around the TI circuit in the future. Good luck with your upcoming certification. TomH--great meeting and getting to work with you as well. Am in the process of figuring out next trip to HI--maybe in early Nov. Good luck with your TI progress.
Old 09-09-2011

dshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachToddE View Post
Forgot to mention how much I enjoyed meeting you dshen and will be seeing you around the TI circuit in the future. Good luck with your upcoming certification. TomH--great meeting and getting to work with you as well. Am in the process of figuring out next trip to HI--maybe in early Nov. Good luck with your TI progress.
likewise in hanging out with you and Tom! Hope to see both of you again soon...
Old 09-09-2011

TomH

DShen,

I was happy with my time, given that I don't think the currents were as favorable as had been predicted. Most people had faster times in 2009 with similar predicted current conditions.

If this was your first rough water and you weren't familiar with the course and the best way to navigate it, I would expect that you could probably knock 5+ minutes off the next one just from improved navigation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshen View Post
ha yeah it's me! great to meet you as well. it was a great day for a swim altho i was disappointed with my time. how was it for you?

if you get that new model, I'd love to hear what you think of it.