Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Breaststroke
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2011

johagster

Important aspects are to keep the head low when doing the recovery, and to assure you that the kick is giving you enough forward momentum.

Calibrating the kick is easily done by using small arm stroke, and by assuring that your feet meet in a powerful close. Most people finish the kick too early, and then they also loose the glide phase.
Old 09-30-2011

caronis
Default Add my Amen to the Choir

I have had a similar experience and am glad that Suzanne brought this up because I was going to ask the same question. I found that shortening my breast kick does make more sense. I can't say for sure that I'm going faster, but at least I feel that I'm going the same speed with less of a windup and less effort in my kick. I also found that the bigger breast kick gives me too much of that "spinning tires" feeling. Do you know what I mean? Maybe there's a better way to describe the feeling, but it's that kind of feeling you get when struggling while ice skating. My feet accelerate fast backwards, but I don't get the feeling of a fast, forward acceleration.
What I also have done, which feels much better in my breaststroke, is that I imagine that as I turn my feet out that I am not kicking back, but instead that I am using the water as a platform to jump forward. That causes me to not push too hard back against the water because I want to feel some resistance. Again, I'm not sure if I'm going faster, but it seems to feel better. Has anyone had the same experience? I may not be going very fast forward and I imagine that my feet do kick back, but I am guessing that when the best breaststrokers kick, their feet are moving fast enough that their feet are always moving forward and never backward. Am I right about this? As Terry has said in his book that when studies of Mark Spitz were done, it was discovered that in his freestyle his hands never pushed back in the water and instead his hands exited the water in front of where they entered. I'm thinking in the breaststroke the same can be said for the kick.
Old 10-19-2011

swimust

Ok, I will join this thread even if I started to learn breastroke 2 weeks ago. I posted about that on another thread I hope you dont mind about the duplicate content.
I saw Kitajima's video many times this week (yes me, who? i know..), this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h97OraOpKLo
2.09 minutes into the video (and before that) he glides after the kick with the sole in a diagonal line to the sky and inwards (one sole facing the other). Of course that the feet are stll stretched backwards, but i am talking about the lateral axis. Why is that important? because thats the "duck legs" position with toes already pointing out and ready for the recovery! He doesnt need to twist the feet. He keeps the toes outside throughout the whole swim including the glide phase.
I just tried that for fun today in the pool. Its very easy to keep duck legs the whole swim if you glide with toes looking out and the sole is in diagonal line to the sky(during glide phase). try that. its easy.

Last edited by swimust : 10-19-2011 at 03:42 PM.