Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Breaststroke
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2010

KatieK
Default SPL Range for Breaststroke

Hi All,
Is there a guideline for height-based SPL target range to use for breast stroke? If not, can anyone give me a general idea of typical highs and lows?
Thanks,
Katie
Old 12-22-2010

Richardsk

Hi Katie

I swim in a 25m pool and my normal SPL for breaststroke is around ten strokes. A while ago I had a concerted effort to see how low I could go by gliding as far as possible (almost until I came to a complete stop) and the lowest I managed was six strokes. I could do eight without too much difficulty. I am about 5' 9" or 5'10" tall. I seem to have shrunk, because I used to be 5' 11". It happens as you get older, it seems - along with a whole lot of other stuff.

I know one of the top Scottish breaststrokers in his age group (40-45 I think) and he has told me that he can do a length in four strokes easily. He is about 6' 4".

Unfair advantage if you ask me. Still, allow an eight inches height advantage and multiply it by four and it's only 32 inches - not even a yard. Maybe his arms are very long.

I think he has been swimming competitively since he was a kid, which is also an advantage.

So I would say that there is bound to be quite a range, depending on body type and skill. Probably a rough estimate would be half your freestyle SPL.
Old 12-22-2010

CoachRosita
Default Breast Stroke SPL

Katie,

I do not know the answer to your question. I am 5 feet 1.5 inches and cross the pool in about 10 breast strokes but do not do breast stroke that often and usually not at race pace. The height disadvantage is less with the breast stroke and fly. Yeah! Perhaps I should emphasize it more.

CoachRosita
Old 12-22-2010

AWP

I think Richard's guage is probably a good one (1/2 free spl) but will add that maybe, at least initially, you can go by half your 'cruise' pace spl in free as a target spl for your breast stroke. Then use half your "high efficiency" spl in free as a goal for brst. so long as it continues to prove effective to do so without strain.

Presently my spl for 25 yds of brst is 7-8, my cruise spl in free is 14-15 (hi-ef 12-13) so if I make my target spl for brst 6-7 and work to improve my ease @ that length while improving pace I should find, among other things, 'easy' speed when I take 7-8 or 9 spl.

For now I look to make 7-8 as efficient as I can.
Old 12-22-2010

Richardsk

Here's some footage of Leisel Jones at race pace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqj0w...eature=related

It's hard to count because the camera angle changes but I think she's doing seven or eight strokes after the pulldown. That's for a 25m pool.

In a video of one of her long course races I thought she was doing about twenty strokes per length. Obviously the pulldown makes up a smaller proportion of the 50m length than of the 25m length.
Old 12-22-2010

daveblt

In a 25 yd pool I usually do about 8 during a casual swim and I'm 5'9" . This is after a light push off from the wall and a pull out.

Dave
Old 12-23-2010
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

My rule of thumb for Breast and Fly is half the number of strokes for free, plus 1 or 2.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 12-23-2010

downhillswimmer
Default Breaststroke SPL and Balance

After reading Terry's recent blogs which put a lot of emphasis on balance, I spent more time working on balance drills. Last night, I found I could cross a 25-metre pool in 4 strokes with a good push-off. When I wasn't focusing enough, I would need one more stroke (not a full stroke). A few months ago, I was able to cross in 4 strokes, but it wasn't a relaxed experience like I had last night. I believe my improved balance was the key. In my opinion, to achieve a good balance in water, I need a strong mental focus, and an engaged core body.