Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2010

Rincewind
Default Swimming snorkel

Hi,

I am one of those who have never been given formal swimming instruction as kids and now trying to correct their swimming late in life. For a couple of monthst I have been following the drills in the Freestyle made easy DVD plus a few other drills that I found on the internet.

Finally seems like I am making some progress when doing the drills while wearing the swimming snorkel. Key being the fact, that I can keep steady head position and body alignment. I am starting to get glimpses of feeling the continuous glide through the water and the effects drill elements have on it. I am assuming that ultimately this is the feeling that I should strive to maintain while swimming. Without the snorkel I didnt seem to be able to attain that, probably because my focus and body alignment was broken every couple of seconds by turning to take a breath.

My plan is to continue using the snorkel until that gliding feeling becomes second nature and then phase the snorkel out by doing some breathing drills while trying to maintain the 'gliding' sensation.

Just wanted to hear peoples opinions on my plan and what the consensus is in general on the use of a swimming snorkel.

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2010

flppr

if your goal is to become able to swim without it, get off the pipe now! yes, you will go through withdrawls. Your swimming will take some temporary steps backward, but learning to breathe comfortably while you swim without the pipe will have its own rewards. i used one for about a year before i made the decision to kick the habit and learn to swim without it. i then used the 02 in h20 dvd to learn how to breathe while swimming. having accomplished that goal, i can now focus on improving my stroke.
Old 06-02-2010

DesertDog

My wife recently got me a Finis snorkel because I video "tapped" myself and I was complaining that I wasn't swimming straight and my stroke didn't feel symmetrical. The first time I used the snorkel I realized my head was all over the place. So instead of my neck being relaxed and pointing straight ahead it was going in all sorts of directions. That is something I would never have known without the snorkel as a reference. I thought my neck was relaxed with the laser beam pointing straight ahead!

So I decided I'm going to alternate swimming with the snorkel and without. For example swim a 300 with the snorkel and then 300 without. That way I can try to apply what I learn right away and try to keep the relaxed neck feeling when swimming.
Old 06-02-2010

Rincewind

Yes, head position and body alignment is where I feel the snorkel helps me with the most. Judging from the comments though it seems like there are some drawbacks to using it too. What would those be?
Old 06-02-2010

ewa.swimmer

Tools like snorkels are fine as long as they don't become a crutch.
I personally don't like snorkels because I don't get enough air. Probably because I don't push all the air out of the tube and I'm getting some CO2 back.
Old 06-02-2010

Rincewind

The one I have is designed in a way that it doesnt cover your nose (like a regular snorkel), so you have to exclusively blow the air out through the nose and breath in through your mouth. I am trying to only breath every 3rd stroke starting somewhere half way through the pull just like I would when swimming without it.
Old 06-02-2010

westyswoods

I have used the finis swim snorkle when working on balance with arms at side and lightly kicking. Breath through snorkle and out nose prevents CO2 problems. I also practice a two beat kick and core activation in same position using snorkle. They are great for skating and zen switches but I would wholly concur they as any training aid can become a crutch.
Old 06-03-2010

Rincewind

Yes you all are correct about the 'crutch' factor. Towards the end of my workout today I took the snorkel off and did a couple of laps of the skating drill followed by a few laps of freestyle and it felt strange to swim without the snorkel. Overall though I do feel like it helped me identify the feeling of balance a great deal. I plan to keep using it but will also make sure to take it off often enough so that it doesnt become a 'crutch'.