Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013

nurledge
Default Single arm practice drill

How do you guys practice this drill. I found very hard to maintain balance using 2 beat kick. It become worse when the stroking side is using the right arm. I am thinking to do continuous flutter kick to maintain the balance instead of 2BK.

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2013

bx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurledge View Post
How do you guys practice this drill. I found very hard to maintain balance using 2 beat kick. It become worse when the stroking side is using the right arm. I am thinking to do continuous flutter kick to maintain the balance instead of 2BK.
Thanks.
Nurledge,

I always do one-arm (UNCO) drill variations with a 2bk because doing any other kick pattern feels very strange to me now!

The reason I do UNCO is to hone one-goggle-in-one-goggle-out breathing. I find it much easier to control this with one-arm practise than in whole stroke. Now, with 2bk and only one arm stroking, my legs do ride lower. But I do not worry about this, because I only use it for a single length at a time to improve breathing mechanics.

Doing UNCO with the passive arm held outstretched will help balance. Tonight I was alternating two one-arm strokes with a single whole stroke, in order to try and imprint the very sneaky breath from the one-arm strokes into whole stroke.
Old 10-01-2013

sojomojo has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurledge View Post

Thanks.
I could never do this drill with a 2 beat kick since I couldn't get any forward momentum so I would sink. For me, this drill requires swim fins (or I'd quickly gas out) since it requires a constant kick
Old 10-01-2013

nurledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx View Post
Nurledge,

Doing UNCO with the passive arm held outstretched will help balance.
Thanks Bx, happened that i tried this afternoon before reading your message and found it worked perfect for me. I like this drill a lot; beside enable to work on the breathing technique you mentioned, i could work on kicking and spearing timing much more easier.

i would still explore to explore using 6bk; if i could time the spearing & kicking similar to Cullen Jones;s drill. This way i could maintain compatibility of 2bk and 6bk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH5HA9BiTBc
Old 11-17-2013

helixfairweather

I do something like this drill using the 2BK and no fins. Here's how I do it:

Superman Glide
Moving into left Skate position - spearing and alternate leg kick (provides propulsion)
Stroke with the right arm and fall into Superman Glide for a moment
Repeat.

Sometimes I'll take two strokes with the right arm, then return to SG.

The strokes aren't propelling me, thrusting into Skate from SG is.

I have incorporated a breath into this for the same reason BX mentioned - practicing head position.

This drill has given me the most progress in Patient Lead Hand and was suggested by someone on the TI freestyle forum (I wish I recalled who!). It's very relaxing to do and allows me to be *very* focused.

The key is always returning to Superman Glide, then spear into Skate to propulsion. Before I added turning my head for a breath, I would roll into Sweet Spot to breathe, roll back into Superman Glide, then spear into Skate for the next rep.

Helix Fairweather
Keizer, OR
Old 11-17-2013

Scotty

One thing that confuses me about the one-armed drill is that if you are using the right arm and the left arm is passive, the your rotation takes you to the left, when you would normally be breathing on the right.

I have watched people, spear with their right hand and breathe to the left (passive arm) which seems awkward since you normally breathe to your catch and pull side.

With that criticism out of the way, when I switch to whole stroke after the one-armed drill, the stroke is compact and crisp. So for that reason, I do the drill every session.

Can someone help me out on why this drill seems to counter normal breathing with rotation and pull.

Scotty
Old 12-08-2013

CharlesCouturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post

Can someone help me out on why this drill seems to counter normal breathing with rotation and pull.
It is not, it promotes breathing in a very specific manner (nothing that would go against what you'd want to develop full stroke).
Old 12-09-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
One thing that confuses me about the one-armed drill is that if you are using the right arm and the left arm is passive, the your rotation takes you to the left, when you would normally be breathing on the right.

I have watched people, spear with their right hand and breathe to the left (passive arm) which seems awkward since you normally breathe to your catch and pull side.

With that criticism out of the way, when I switch to whole stroke after the one-armed drill, the stroke is compact and crisp. So for that reason, I do the drill every session.

Scotty
IN full stroke swimming you have two sides performing an action at the same time, usually an opposite or complimetary action. You find breathing away from your stroking arm difficult because you've never made that connection before. I suspect you are pulling yourself into a good breath with the stroking arm and that is why it's natural. Your forward speed should help create a good pocket of air to breath into regardless of which side you breath, but when doing drills, speed is slower, so it's a little more challenging.

personally I find it easier to breath away from the stroking arm when doing one armed drills.

Try pausing a moment in the skate position just after spearing and rotating away from the extended arm to get a good breath. That arm is still present in 2 armed stroking, it may just not be something you think about.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle