Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2015

EugeneA
Default First TI lessons: no move!

Hello!

I'm beginner in swimming and TI, started several weeks ago with the first TI exercises. I read Terry's book, watch the video ("Freestyle makes easy", if I'm not mistaken). it seems that I have found the balance: I have no problems with the legs and thighs, drowning in the water etc. The problem is that I totally can't move when applying the leg kicking. Upon finding the balance, I try to slide with leg kicking and fail. No forward moving at all, only balancing on the surface.

What am I doing wrong? Any advice?
Old 04-13-2015
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneA View Post
Hello!

I'm beginner in swimming and TI, started several weeks ago with the first TI exercises. I read Terry's book, watch the video ("Freestyle makes easy", if I'm not mistaken). it seems that I have found the balance: I have no problems with the legs and thighs, drowning in the water etc. The problem is that I totally can't move when applying the leg kicking. Upon finding the balance, I try to slide with leg kicking and fail. No forward moving at all, only balancing on the surface.

What am I doing wrong? Any advice?
kicking is a skill in swimming and can take time to do correctly. then there is kicking along with a body position in a drill. here are some tips:

1. here is a good video from Coach Shinji on kicking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqQB6JgVNc4

2. make sure you are not trying to ride a bicycle when you kick. often beginners are not moving their feet up and down by cycling them as if they are riding a bicycle.

3. keep the kick in the water. many slap the water outside the surface. this is counterproductive. if you are not kicking in the water, then you are wasting range of motion of the kick that could be used for propulsion but is not.

4. keep the kick compact. don't make the feet scissor wide for the kick. watch for cocking the leg back behind you towards your butt - do not do that! again keep it compact.

kicking for swimming positions on your stomach is more about the kick forward. having a strong backwards kick part while on your stomach can impart a downward force on your hips and end up with feet outside of water at some points.

kicking on your back however, has more of a downward/back kicking component.

5. at the edge of the pool, you can practice kicking by holding with both hands the edge of the pool, and then floating outwards and kicking in that position.

6. the secret to moving while doing superman glide or skate or any drill is, good balance. you must be horizontal or else kicking will yield no movement. so i would video yourself or have a friend look at you while you drill and kick. you may think you are horizontal but actually not.

good luck and report back your progress!
Old 04-14-2015

EugeneA

Thank you very much for your explanation. I will try to follow your advice as soon as possible. Yesterday I tried to do something, but again failed. Pain of growth!
Old 04-14-2015

Zenturtle

If you point the toes and the top of your foot is still more than 45 degrees out of line with the top of your lower leg, you should do some ankle stretching.
Good pointed feet also will help your balance when you have some forward swimming movement going.
Feet pointing down drag the legs down.
Ideally the feet can point rearwards while being relaxed, but thats only for real swimmers and ladys mostly.

Last edited by Zenturtle : 04-14-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-15-2015

junkman

Try treading water with your arms crossed and hands on your shoulder. You'll learn. Then you'll have other things to work on and can ignore the legs for the time being.

The process seems to be: learn 1 thing, then another, then go back and improve on the 1st, then add another, then go back and improve #2, then go back & work on 1 some more, think, question, continue, repeat.