Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2014

Hoan Ta

Quote:
Originally Posted by borate View Post
Nicely done, after such a short time. Try opening your lips to the side and taking your breath slightly rearwards (Popeye mouth), instead of lifting the head, which causes your body to bob.
Thank Borate for your comment. I will try your way but now it causes me swallowing lots of water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
One difference I see between the first and second videos is that in the second you are swimming with a slower stroke rate. What impact has this had on your general technique?
Hi Danny: With slower stroke rate I can take at least 8 laps instead of only 2 laps with fast stroke rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoy View Post
Greetings and happy holidays!

Very nice work. You look more relaxed in the water.

Wider spear. Keep your hands on rails, like train tracks. These are defined by the line from your shoulder to your hip on each side, and the lines extend in front of you. I'm seeing your hands spearing directly in the middle in front of your head. So move those 6 inches wider.

Elbow-leading recovery. It looks like your hands are aiming to reach as soon as they exit the water. Try relaxing them as soon as they reach your hips, and concentrate on moving your elbow in a circular arc with your hand fully relaxed below and behind the elbow. Also, the elbows should exit more to the side, outside the body line. I see it behind you and above you. The visual is "opening the gate."

Kick is a little too strong on the right side. Otherwise good timing there.

Keep up the good work. You have a nice pool to practice in and are making excellent progress!
Thank you Tomoy for compliments.
Do you mean there should be a little lag when the arms reach my hips?
Old 12-26-2014

sclim

Maybe I could do as well if I got tranquil music playing in the background lol!

Seriously, congratulations on your progress. I consider myself a beginner, and my progress has been much more slow than yours, but I have picked up a few tricks. Without trying to complicate the excellent advice that has been offered here already, I found that the method to breath lower in the water for me was so difficult that I had to approach it in stages. First I had to accept that I would not be doing it right unless I was getting a lot of water in my mouth as I was practicing, especially initially. One focus was getting water in my mouth without swallowing it. This might have to be done without swimming, i.e. in the shallow end, standing with the body bent over so the face was to one side, half submerged with one eye in, and one eye out of water, and the mouth half in. Practice getting used to this feeling, then practice the "Popeye" mouth, to get the top corner out of the water, and the bottom corner closed. Then drop the head slightly so it's more difficult and a little water gets in your mouth. Play with this position. You get the picture. Then do the other side. Then try to apply it to real swimming, getting closer and closer to your practiced static position.

Coach Suzanne has an excellent drill method that gets to this breathing position in gradual stages called the "nodding" drill, I think.

Hmm, I thought this was in the O2 in H2O thread, but I can't seem to find it. Can someone help me out here for a reference? Coach Suzanne's drill was described so well and in great detail that I thought it was an essential reference.

Oh, I found it -- it's actually in "The Swim Breathing Thread - How to make it feel effortless" thread.

http://totalimmersion.net/forum/show...hlight=nodding

Last edited by sclim : 12-26-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-26-2014

borate

And more useful info, in this thread...
http://totalimmersion.net/forum/show...hlight=nodding

And in this video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_7w...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-27-2014

sclim

Quote:
Originally Posted by borate View Post
This video deviates a little from TI dogma in that it suggests the swimmer press the face against the lead arm. The idea is partly that this helps taking the breath early in the pull phase. But I notice that she is also pressing her cheek against the lead upper arm on the non-breathing strokes too. Her arm tracks seem narrower than TI recommendations, and she seems to have her hand entry quite a bit forward of her head.