Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2014

Zenturtle
Default What has been your most effective mental image?

Every time this mental image gives me the most bang for the buck:

Plant your arm and corkscrew your body past it.

To enhance the planted feeling I imagine a plank is attached to hand and forearm.
If the stroke gets sloppy, remembering this mantra, backing off the throtle a notch, connecting the roll with the planted arm at a slightly lower strokerate results in a higher speed/less effort.

Natalie Coughlin calls it plant your arm and swing your body around it. Straight arm recovery gives more of this swing feeling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ8iw8q2F9U
TI has its own description for it I believe.

Last edited by Zenturtle : 12-17-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-19-2014

Talvi

I like the corkscrew image but wonder how it fits with those pace brackets you listed a while back (and which I can't now find). I suspect the levering past feeling comes with thicker water?

I thought there's be more input on your post. You're catch deep pull shallow line and your description of digging a trench. Actually you come out with lots of them ... the Christmas Tree.

Anyway, the only thing I can offer that I find always helps something is to remember that I can float! That means there's no real need to struggle, that I can slow down, relax, and be a log! Having said that it's amazing how regularly I fail to remember even this!!

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 12-21-2014

novaswimmer

This is such an old thread. But I just wanted to say that yes, I can float, but I can't get to air easily because I'm rather low in the water (high body density, small lung capacity, short stature, etc), so that doesn't really help me much. I can only float for so long and then sink.

One image that I think about every once in a while is after every pull, to look at the bottom of the pool and notice the tiles moving by as my body glides with its momentum after the pull. If I'm not gliding, then likely I'm not in a good streamline, or horizontal position, and I'm creating too much drag, slowing me down. So I need to adjust my positioning or leg position.

When I look at Shinji swimming, I really notice the glide between strokes.

I noticed a guy at the pool today who pushed off the wall and streamlined almost halfway across the pool before he began his strokes! Now he was definitely streamlined.

Something to work toward anyway.
Old 12-22-2014

jafaremraf

Best mental image for me is imagining I'm being pulled forwards by a thread attached to the crown of my head. It helps keep my head in alignment when I rotate to breathe..... A variation of the laser lead focal point of TI I suppose, but it is a mental image I use in yoga to get the posture right. Not only does it help keep my head from lifting (almost instantaneous transformation leading to one goggle in water when breathing) but also gives me a sense of greater forward movement at that breathing point in my stroke..... As though the thread is being pulled at a continuous speed. Works for me!
Old 12-22-2014

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaswimmer View Post
.. I noticed a guy at the pool today who pushed off the wall and streamlined almost halfway across the pool before he began his strokes! Now he was definitely streamlined...
I've been focused on maintaining a regular distance for the push off rather than using it as a drill toget a good position. Nice idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafaremraf View Post
Best mental image for me is imagining I'm being pulled forwards by a thread attached to the crown of my head. It helps keep my head in alignment when I rotate to breathe..... ..
I know that image from yoga too but haven't applied it to swimming. Sounds good.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 12-23-2014

s.sciame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvi View Post
Anyway, the only thing I can offer that I find always helps something is to remember that I can float! That means there's no real need to struggle, that I can slow down, relax, and be a log!
Just for this feeling, which is more than a feeling, I couldn't thank TI more: before reading Terry's book, water used to be a wall. Now, more than ever, I feel this way! (from min 2:25)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mscxntkJWc