Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-27-2013
hydrophobe hydrophobe is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 26
hydrophobe
Default Can the camera lie? I dearly hope so.

I finally got round to taking the very uncomfortable step of filming myself. I captured the following horrific scenes.

Besides my being fat, can anyone please let me know where else I’m going wrong? Am I doing anything right? All comments greatly appreciated! Many thanks in advance!

http://youtu.be/OSs6_WlRoKk

http://youtu.be/b0g9cn6R8nU

http://youtu.be/LXdWaaWCpoA

http://youtu.be/z1IlL6TWgdM

Last edited by hydrophobe : 08-27-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-27-2013
helixfairweather helixfairweather is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 197
helixfairweather
Default

Hydrophobe, I'm too much of a n00b to comment on what is right or needs tweaking. I think you look pretty good - better form than I feel I have. It really does take a lot of gumption to post one's first swim videos doesn't it?

Here is my first time being videoed - I posted this a couple of weeks ago.

Here is a video clip of my whole stroke after working through Lesson 1 - 3 of Perpetual Motion Freestyle DVD. I don't have before video but it was thrashing survival.

https://vimeo.com/71905113 Password is: TILesson1

Well done on posting your video!
Helix Fairweather
Keizer, OR
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-28-2013
hydrophobe hydrophobe is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 26
hydrophobe
Default

Thanks, you are also to be commended for posting :)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-28-2013
daveblt daveblt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 820
daveblt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophobe View Post
I finally got round to taking the very uncomfortable step of filming myself. I captured the following horrific scenes.

Besides my being fat, can anyone please let me know where else I’m going wrong? Am I doing anything right? All comments greatly appreciated! Many thanks in advance!

http://youtu.be/OSs6_WlRoKk

http://youtu.be/b0g9cn6R8nU

http://youtu.be/LXdWaaWCpoA

http://youtu.be/z1IlL6TWgdM




Your stroke is looking pretty good but a few things I see are , when you go to breathe you seem to roll a bit too much to that side and you lift your head to get a breath . Your left hand does not reach down as far as the right at the end of extension . Also you seem to leave some turbulence behind you so try to relax a little more and your kick , little less roll when you breathe , and aim to keep one goggle wet.

Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 08-28-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-28-2013
daveblt daveblt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 820
daveblt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helixfairweather View Post
Hydrophobe, I'm too much of a n00b to comment on what is right or needs tweaking. I think you look pretty good - better form than I feel I have. It really does take a lot of gumption to post one's first swim videos doesn't it?

Here is my first time being videoed - I posted this a couple of weeks ago.

Here is a video clip of my whole stroke after working through Lesson 1 - 3 of Perpetual Motion Freestyle DVD. I don't have before video but it was thrashing survival.

https://vimeo.com/71905113 Password is: TILesson1

Well done on posting your video!
Helix Fairweather
Keizer, OR

Looking good , you have good balance and head position but the left hand is not staying patient ,it keeps clawing down when you breathe to the right . Try to keep it out there until your opposite recovery arm comes around to enter the water . Try to relax the kick a bit . One more thing you are breathing a little to late . Try breathing a little earlier in the stroke .

Last edited by daveblt : 08-28-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-28-2013
helixfairweather helixfairweather is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 197
helixfairweather
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveblt View Post
Looking good , you have good balance and head position but the left hand is not staying patient ,it keeps clawing down when you breathe to the right . Try to keep it out there until your opposite recovery arm comes around to enter the water . Try to relax the kick a bit . One more thing you are breathing a little to late . Try breathing a little earlier in the stroke .
Hi Dave!

Check my long post I made today in a new thread. That impatient left hand was a result of breathing too late and I'm on the road to improving that.

I really don't know what to make of my kick. I need to address that in my next lesson. I am far better off not kicking at all. :)

Thank you for your feedback!

Helix Fairweather
Keizer, OR
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-28-2013
daveblt daveblt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 820
daveblt
Default

There is no sense wearing yourself out with a continuous flutter kick at the rate you are swimming . Not that you are kicking that hard but a two beat kick would work out just fine , or try to keep your legs a little more streamline.


Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 08-28-2013 at 03:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-28-2013
helixfairweather helixfairweather is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 197
helixfairweather
Default

Ok, more streamline! I can't wait to get to the 2-beat kick lesson. I have tinkered with it a bit but I just cannot coordinate it to the spear.

Thanks!
Helix
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-28-2013
hydrophobe hydrophobe is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 26
hydrophobe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveblt View Post
Your stroke is looking pretty good but a few things I see are , when you go to breathe you seem to roll a bit too much to that side and you lift your head to get a breath . Your left hand does not reach down as far as the right at the end of extension . Also you seem to leave some turbulence behind you so try to relax a little more and your kick , little less roll when you breathe , and aim to keep one goggle wet.

Dave

Many thanks for the comments Dave. This is very much appreciated!

1. Over-rotation on breathing stroke:

Yes, it looks hideous and I must be wasting a load of energy. I have a few thoughts about this:

I donít think Iím very good at breathing. I try to ensure that Iíve fully exhaled underwater before turning to inhale, but still, I find I need to have quite a long time to inhale (or so I think anyway). The additional air-biting time I gain by rotating so much seems necessary if Iím to swim more than 50m or so. By having this extra breathing time, I can swim a few kilometres feeling relaxed (though probably with terrible efficiency).
When I intend to swim longish distances, I slow down a lot and I have the (possibly false) impression that I donít go fast enough to create a bow wave from my head. I have absolutely no evidence of that, but I feel inclined to overcompensate and probably over-rotate and lift my head as a result.

2. Right hand deeper than left at end of extension
I think this seems to be most pronounced when I breathe to the left and as I lift my head to breathe, my right hand sinks deeper?

I also seem to extend less with my left hand than my right. I donít know why.

3. Turbulence from kicks
I have the feeling that I need to kick quite hard to have the rotation that I then use to hold my legs upÖÖ butÖ. Perhaps this problem, along with over rotation and lifting the head comes from too low a stroke rate? If Iím kicking more frequently, my legs will be higher and I wonít be able to rotate as muchÖ. What do you think?

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-28-2013
daveblt daveblt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 820
daveblt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophobe View Post
Many thanks for the comments Dave. This is very much appreciate




3. Turbulence from kicks
I have the feeling that I need to kick quite hard to have the rotation that I then use to hold my legs up…… but…. Perhaps this problem, along with over rotation and lifting the head comes from too low a stroke rate?
If I’m kicking more frequently, my legs will be higher and I won’t be able to rotate as much…. What do you think?
Thanks again!




You do not need a real hard kick to have rotation and to hold up your legs . Your stroke rate also has nothing to do with it even if you are swimming slowly with no pauses in your stroke . You need to relax into balance and a well timed kick.
The frequency of your kicks should have nothing to do with your with high your legs are or rotation.



Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 08-28-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.