Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013

blaiseselby
Default Request for Critique and Basic Coaching

Really new to swimming this way-I have no real experience as a swimmer, but am branching out and trying to learn as much about the TI method as possible.

I understand you may be limited based on the view of the camera-but this is all I had-a lifeguard and my iphone. Thank you!

http://youtu.be/z-Es-hNI-kc
Old 07-29-2013

tomoy

Greetings and welcome!

The video helps immensely - you have a kind lifeguard. I guess the best thing to do, short of buying the DVDs or taking a TI-coached class is research as many of Terry's or Shinji's videos on youtube and compare/contrast to yours.

A few things that come to eye that are definitely better than a beginner: you have a good, deep hand entry that starts near your head: fingers first followed by hand, wrist, elbow. Your head is decently level, and not straining up to look forward or breathe. Your fore/aft balance looks decent, butt is not sinking. These are significant, so good work so far.

Stuff to look at: your hand entry is directly on your center axis in front of your head. Try to move that out and enter in front of each respective shoulder. Breathe more often than every 4-5 strokes - I'm pretty sure you're not getting enough air - especially if you want to swim longer than 25Y without stopping. Focus on holding your lead hand out there longer (search around for patient lead hand). Keeping a long hull is important in reducing drag and you're longest when your outstretched from to to finger.

Keep up the good work!
Old 07-29-2013

craig.arnold@gmail.com

Yes, the single key point at the moment is how much your arms are crossing into the centre.

Keep wide tracks.

Standing with your arms hanging at your side, imagine railway tracks running along your arms forward and back. When you are swimming you want to keep your hands pointing down those tracks.

Otherwise, good job. :)
Old 07-29-2013

ananthaditya

Nice vid! I'm also a learner. I'm sharing what works for me:

1. I think you should slow down a little if you want to focus on technique. I'm a big advocate for swimming whole-stroke slowly with different focal points every ten lengths or so to hone your stroke. When I say slow down, I don't mean necessarily to focus on decreasing speed, but to break up your stroke into its different parts and figure in slight 'consciousness' pauses between them.

2. Occasionally, I sound out in my head the things that I'm doing while stroking, like, 'spear,' 'breathe,' etc, in case I feel like correcting a component on the go.

3. Like someone already pointed out, watch videos. Watch them just before the swim, if possible. It helps me a lot.

Your stroke looks nice already, btw. Feel the glide! :)
Old 07-29-2013

blaiseselby
Default Thank you!

Thanks for the tips and taking the time to watch the video, I appreciate it! Is there a certain number of strokes I should aim for before taking a breath?

Also, right now i am just setting a simple goal- like swim for 30 minutes or for a mile-whatever. Should I have any type of structure while practicing?
Old 07-29-2013
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Welcome Blaise
In general you should breathe with a frequency not less than every 3 armstrokes. Bilateral is best, but you can also breathe to your right on one length and your left on the next.

In starting TI, the standard 'structure' is to
1) Begin with Balance--whether drills and whole stroke or whole stroke with Focal Points. Source for both drills and Focal Points is the 10 Lesson Self-Coached Workshop DVD.
2) Repeat distance--how far you swim continuously before pausing for a breather, self-assessment and mental reset--is determined by (i) movement quality AND (ii) quality of attention. Your keenness of focus will determine how quickly your movements gain in skill and efficiency.

Indeed TI Practice is explicitly designed to promote both in equal measure. And the quality of your attention will benefit you in countless ways outside the pool, as others here will attest.

For more insight on these things, read my blog. I'll put up a new post at mid-day today.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 07-29-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-30-2013

daveblt

Also try to make your stroke a little more relaxed . Eventually you will not need to kick as much as you do now . With better balance all will you need is a 2 beat kick and not a continuous flutter.

Dave