Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013

Rajan
Default High Elbow Catch.

Can somebody tell me that while my hand is recovering, at what time of recovery, my leading hand should tilt(subtle tilt) towards the side of the pool to start the high elbow catch.

Regards

Rajan
Old 06-19-2013

scr

I use Dave Cameron's video for reference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmYS7SFKDQU

A good discussion on high elbow catch is on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDmQi...3zMUvQ&index=3

John
Old 06-19-2013

Rajan

I doubt that second link address my query. English being a second language, I could not catch up the speed with which Dave is speaking, although I have seen that video many times. I tried to transcript also. Can someone take trouble to edit the transcription of what he is speaking. Don't transcript full, but I expect someone to edit my transcription up to where I have typed.

"OK. This is Dave here. We talked lot about patience in the shot about...... You stroke about how...... in front....... power side and it is very important.... to get a wide demonstration because it is very different and is hard to describe in words. I am swimming in the stroke....... front quadrant timing that the lay out front so shift of the weight comes primarily from drive of the hip through into the outside with........ So I don't need to pull on this early to make rotation happen. Now the other thing can help with true front quadrant stroke is not just ab out how long you out weigh fron but also the stretch in the arm.... it come back as it angles to find good proulstion that does not injure the shoulder, that does not work on small muscles. So for high elbow catch we work on is making sure.... work.... even. We dont......"
Old 06-19-2013

Richardsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajan View Post
I doubt that second link address my query. English being a second language, I could not catch up the speed with which Dave is speaking, although I have seen that video many times. I tried to transcript also. Can someone take trouble to edit the transcription of what he is speaking. Don't transcript full, but I expect someone to edit my transcription up to where I have typed.

"OK. This is Dave here. We've talked a lot about patience in the stroke about how you are to start implementing front quadrant timing today I do want to talk about the power side and it is very important.to us today to get a video demonstration because it is very different and is hard to describe in words. I am assuming, in the stroke,that when building up front quadrant timing that you delay out front so the shift of the weight comes primarily from the drive of the hip through the obliques into the outside (?) with.the shift of the weight up top.That's the source of the rotation so I don't need to pull on this arm early to make rotation happen.

Now the other thing that's going to help with a true front quadrant stroke - it's not just about how long you wait out front but also the stretch of the arm that's starting to come back. As it comes out it's important that it angles to find good propulsion that doesn't injure the shoulder, that doesn't work on small muscles.

So for that high elbow catch that we're working on, it's making sure as you [?.] that you work with even, perpendicular, early in the cycle of the stroke - you don't want to slowly pull back and find it on the way down. As we're going through here, we want to do this: have a slight hinging motion when the rotation happens, this arm, the lead arm, is going to - simply bend at the elbow, and that does depend on the arm not being across the middle and it does depend on the elbow not being dropped under that way or else you will drop through like that and just pull on the hand. To find that strong hook, what we want to do is keep on the outside with a slight turn of the elbow, that ten-degree trick we talked about before, and when we hit the right moment in the stroke we're going to drive from there and hinge on the first moment setting up this true perpendicular. In fact you can't see my elbow right now because it's perpendicular to the view..."
Hello Rajan

I've edited the commentary as best I could - I don't think it's perfect but pretty close. Maybe Dave will correct any mistakes I've made due to not being an American.
Old 06-19-2013

bx

Guys - in Dave cameron's video, at the menu bar at the bottom of the video, click the first button in the group of buttons on the right - the one to the left of the cog icon.

Choose "English (automatic captions)" option.

Hope that helps!
Old 06-19-2013

Richardsk

Hi bx

Clever but basically not very good.

A lot of the rubbish you read in articles these days is probably produced by automatic speech recognition and humans not checking.
Old 06-19-2013

swimust

@ Rajan,
You confused between two different names.
"High elbow catch" - happens at the start of the stroke.
"Elbow lead" - happens at the recovery. This is what you asked about.
Old 06-19-2013

Richardsk

Ah well, if we're talking about lifting the hand out of the water, then it's a matter of not pushing water upwards at the end of the stroke, so you turn your hand sideways to reduce drag. When you're trying to hold water you want to maximise surface area and when you're trying to slip water you want to minimise it.
Old 06-19-2013

WFEGb

Hi Swimust,

"Elbow lead" - happens at the recovery. This is what you asked about.

Think you're very right here.

But an "Elbow lead" catch and/or pull is a bad thing. So both have to be seperated as you did...

Regards,
Werner
Old 06-19-2013

Rajan

I am sorry for not posting my question clearly. I can differentiate between recovery and high elbow catch. Coach Davidshen has explained about the recovery very well in previous post. My confusion is that at what time I should tilt my elbow towards the side for high elbow catch with respect to recovery. If I rewrite this sentence again, I want to ask, should I tilt my elbow of the leading arm towards the side (before catch starts), when recovery hand is about to enter the water. I hope now it would be clear.

Thanks Richard for making the transcription more clear, but still it is not clear to me. I am being thickheaded. Some words are not clear like delay out front, hinging motion, obliques, you don't want to slowly pull back and find it on the way down etc. I had tried the option of automatic transcription, but it was not making any sense.

Regards

Rajan

Last edited by Rajan : 06-19-2013 at 04:18 PM.