Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2012

isaac.ohel
Default Video for comments

Someone on this forum said that it takes courage to post a video. After watching myself swim, I understand.

The link is below (not sure if it's clickable)

http://vimeo.com/34692102

There are no other TI swimmers in Oaxaca, Mexico, so I would appreciate any comment.

I started to learn freestyle using the TI Video and booklet about a year ago, but swam only a few months. I was happy to complete 1000 meters in the Ocean. It took a bit more work to do it in the pool.

My current SPL: 19, at a Tempo of 1.3 s/stroke.

Last edited by isaac.ohel : 01-07-2012 at 02:01 PM. Reason: forgot the link
Old 01-07-2012

arunks

There is one thing i observed which you can improve on and that is the recovery.Your recovery can be more elbow led.Once you get this right the hand entry should also improve.You can look at this video to get a better idea about elbow led recovery.
Link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16KxYLesElc

Last edited by arunks : 01-07-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-07-2012

naj

Thank you for having the courage to upload you video and get comments. You are looking very relaxed and you have a nice wide track skate position. Your head is in a neutral position and you are making very little splash. Good clean entry into the water.

You might work on your lead-elbow recover rather than leading with your hand. This will help you keep on your opposite track a lot longer before switching over to the other. Another thing you might want to work on is your two beat kick. You seem to be taking a knee-based wind-up quick rather than a toe flick. Your kick is only there for balance not much propulsion and as it stands now, you seem to be off balance with the kick you have.

Finally, try to be more streamlined after every stroke. You hold it for a moment and then it seems like you want to quickly get into the next stroke. Enjoy the feeling of gliding along. Remember to "be mindful" of your stroke.

All that being said, I am quite impressed by all you have accomplished with just the DVD and book. I took a workshop back in '08 and with my thick head didn't get a decent stroke until late last year :)

Your a lot further on than I was and I am sure you'll go even further in the future. Keep up the great work and keep posting these great videos!

Keep Swimming!
Naji
Old 01-07-2012

Butiki

For the elbow-lead recovery, try Terry's marionette drill. Or the Overswitch drill with (1) whole forearm in water, then (2) just hand in water, during arm recovery. As well, your flutter kicks look very hurried, busy and frantic. Seems to be more than a 6-beat-kick, but I can't count to be sure. Have you tried learning the 2-beat-kick?

Otherwise, that's impressive progress from just the DVD and book! Keep it up!
Old 01-07-2012

Mike from NS

Might help to think about dragging the fingertips in the water with the elbow lead just before the ear hops to spear. Cograts for the video posting ...That water looks so inviting !
Old 01-07-2012

PlumFlower

There is a pause just before your recovery hand enters the water. I had the same issue and a TI coach pointed that out to me. Try to spear when your recovery hand is still at the highest point in the air. Nice stroke overall.
Old 01-07-2012

andyinnorway

If you learn to be more patient with the lead hand and wait until your opposite hand has started the spear, I think your SPL will drop considerably.

Your balance is good but your streamline is a bit off, think about not snaking and evening out the rotation on the left and right side, also think about your rotation being more a result of reaching forward than a roll to the side.

Well done so far, enjoy the water. And please post an update video.

I need to do that too, will take my camera to florida next month.
Old 01-08-2012

tab

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
think about not snaking and evening out the rotation on the left and right side, also think about your rotation being more a result of reaching forward than a roll to the side.
Videos are great, I just watched a video of myself, not real humbling, but an eye opener. Cross over, two goggles out of the water, and a splayed 2bk mixed with some fishtailing. Andy's comment applied to me as well. I have slacked of an otherwise big 2bk and applied a conscious control to rid myself of the fish tailing. One thing I believe I was doing is rolling too much. I am not sure but I believe I was reaching more to quiet the rotation which stopped the fishtailing.
Old 01-09-2012

ashby

I don't know enough about swimming to comment on your technique but you are clearly very restricted through your upper back and shoulders especially on the left. Id definitely recommend some stretching.
Old 01-09-2012

westyswoods
Default Videos Are Neat

I never tire of watching videos. Good, bad, ugly, but inspirational they all are. Yes is does take courage and are humbling.

Thanks for the post. All of the previous suggestions are appropriate. I would like to reinforce a few.

On your recovery, try to lead with your elbow. Viewing the video it does appear you may be very tight through your shoulders and back. Muscular is a better term, they need to be stretched and loosened up. I had this same problem and ended up with my physical therapist convincing me the need to get the shoulder muscles supple. Not only loose but strengthen those that don't get used often. This will make for an easier elbow lead recovery while practicing finger tip drag.

Your kick needs to quieted. Splaying the legs is done to maintain balance. Like Andy mentioned really work on extension of the lead hand. Try swimming without any kick at all. This may be very difficult, if unobtainable at this time just do a couple of strokes without kicking. I have started using a resistance band around the knees to keep legs together. This practice is most likely not viable for you, put it in the bank.

Lastly spear with a deeper angle enter, more in line with the head. If you look closely at the video your entry is very flat in fact the elbow may hit the water first.

Thanks for the post and look forward to seeing improvements as we all should.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy